PDA

View Full Version : HOF Auto's Part 1 (Scan Heavy) - Ozzie, Morgan, Sey Hey, Bench, Aaron, Seaver & Ted

JollyElm
05-13-2012, 11:18 PM
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/JollyElm/ozmorganbenchmaysx.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/JollyElm/maysaaronx.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/JollyElm/aaronseaverwilliamsx.jpg

I'm just a lurker around these parts, but I thought I'd jump in and ask for some opinions. From 1978 to 1983 I wrote to a million different players seeking their autographs on my baseball cards. A good many signed and popped them into the SASE's I enclosed. Back then, when I got an autograph through the mail, there was no doubt in my mind it was authentic. These days, though, from everything I've been gathering and all the greed that's so evident in baseball, there seems to be a different mindset. So, I'm going to post a bunch of scans of my HOFer autographs I got TTM and hope people will offer me their opinions on the authenticity of the signatures.

Some of the cards are in rough shape, because I'd send them some of the worse cards I had in case they didn't respond. That way it would have been less of a loss if I didn't hear back.

I welcome any and all input and, as a side note, most of these cards are available for trade if anyone is interested. You'll find my 1957-1971 need list over in the 50's-80's buy/sell/trade section.

scmavl
05-14-2012, 10:27 AM
No on the Mays (secreterial or wife), no on the Williams (not even close), no on the first Bench. I don't know about the others but I don't really like any of the Aarons.

7nohitter
05-14-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm thinking no to all

thetruthisoutthere
05-14-2012, 12:16 PM
No on the Mays (secreterial or wife), no on the Williams (not even close), no on the first Bench. I don't know about the others but I don't really like any of the Aarons.

Ditto. The wife of Willie Mays was very busy signing TTM autographs.

scmavl
05-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Ditto. The wife of Willie Mays was very busy signing TTM autographs.

Chris - Thanks to you and a few others on this forum, my eyes are getting better at this! :)

HOF Auto Rookies
05-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Yea those Aarons' and Williams' are just terrible. Hank is way off, his auto is more like he "scratched" his signature. Mays hasn't signed like that for about 60 years.

thetruthisoutthere
05-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Yea those Aarons' and Williams' are just terrible. Hank is way off, his auto is more like he "scratched" his signature. Mays hasn't signed like that for about 60 years.

Willie never signed like that. Those sigs were signed by Willie's wife.

thetruthisoutthere
05-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Chris - Thanks to you and a few others on this forum, my eyes are getting better at this! :)

Jarrod, that's the great thing about Net54 and the members. We are learn from each other.

mighty bombjack
05-14-2012, 02:26 PM
I agree with what everyone has said so far.

I will get the ball rolling on Morgan and say they look good to me. The Seavers are a bit hard to see, but from what I can see they look good to me as well.

HOF Auto Rookies
05-14-2012, 02:53 PM

Willie does have a vintage signature that is similar to that, the "W" and "M" are significantly different on his vintage siganture, but he certainly did where you could almost read each letter of his signature, compared to his crap sig now. And he had a "quick signature" vintage one as well, with a large "W" and scribbles and an "M" and scribbles pretty much lol

JollyElm
05-14-2012, 05:29 PM

It's funny reading these opinions and it's ridiculously tough trying to figure out who I should defer to in these cases. Some people have been very helpful in their comments. Thanks for the input.
But when someone with what appears to be a lot of self-righteousness declares, "Willie never signed like that" when it's clear as day--as shown on his 1967 card--that he DID sign like that, I have to think that maybe I'm looking in the wrong place for objective opinions on these signatures. Oh well.

Big Six
05-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Of the ones posted, I agree about wife-signed for the '72, both '73s and the '74 WS....the '64, '65 and '67 I'm not so sure of...they don't look the like the wife-signed versions I've seen before. Not saying they are good, but they are certainly of a different hand. And of the three, I think the '67 has the best chance of being even remotely real. Then again, what do I know...

I guess a good question would be did Mays ever verifiably sign TTM?

travrosty
05-14-2012, 05:43 PM
It's funny reading these opinions and it's ridiculously tough trying to figure out who I should defer to in these cases. Some people have been very helpful in their comments. Thanks for the input.
But when someone with what appears to be a lot of self-righteousness declares, "Willie never signed like that" when it's clear as day--as shown on his 1967 card--that he DID sign like that, I have to think that maybe I'm looking in the wrong place for objective opinions on these signatures. Oh well.

an older mays sig where he signed more careful, and which looks a little more like the wife signed would be signed in regular ink, not like these.

thetruthisoutthere
05-14-2012, 05:54 PM

Darren, what's with the insult? Please tell all of us here your knowledge of Willie Mays autographs.

Maybe you are looking in the wrong place, Darren. Sounds like you require the expertise of Chris Morales or Ted Taylor.

JollyElm
05-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Darren, what's with the insult? Please tell all of us here your knowledge of Willie Mays autographs.

Maybe you are looking in the wrong place, Darren. Sounds like you require the expertise of Chris Morales or Ted Taylor.

It wasn't meant to be an insult. When I reread my post, though, I guess i could see how it was taken that way. Sorry about that. I'll take a deep breath and decide on my own what replies I should give greater weight to.