PDA

View Full Version : Hal Chase fan, is this real?

RichardSimon
05-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Someone is offering me this Hal Chase Fan.
Is this real? If so what is the value?
Has it been reproduced? (silly question??)
It is the one on ebay but the seller says he would prefer to sell it off ebay,,, red lights flashing all over the place.
Thanks in advance for your help.

perezfan
05-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Richard:

There are a bunch of fakes floating around, but they are usually the Cobb and Matty versions. Anyone would be skeptical of a piece like this.... especially on ebay. The seller's actions seem suspect as well, so your concern is certainly warranted.

But this example actually looks ok, and it has none of the "tell-tale signs" of being a fake. I went over to ebay, to check out all of the front and back photos. I would say it indeed is authentic. If it is a fake, it is much better than the others, and has been executed in a completely different fashion.

Would love to see it in-person, but my opinion is that it's good.

barrysloate
05-13-2012, 12:02 PM
I agree it looks real but there are many fake fans out there and buying it comes with a lot of risk. I would want to hold it before I laid out any money.

canjond
05-13-2012, 12:36 PM
One of the tell tail signs is usually the back of the fan "stick". Do you have a photo of that? May help in the analysis.

Bugsy
05-13-2012, 01:38 PM
I own a Chase and after looking at this one, it does appear to be legit. Of course, you would actually have to see/feel the paper in person to be completely sure.

RichardSimon
05-13-2012, 03:04 PM
I agree it looks real but there are many fake fans out there and buying it comes with a lot of risk. I would want to hold it before I laid out any money.

Considering the way he contacted me, and how he wants to sell it, I am going to pass on it.
Not worth the risk.
Safer to stick with autographs :D:D.
Thanks for the help guys.

Leon
05-14-2012, 01:39 PM
I guess he is emailing folks from the board...He emailed me a few times but I just don't have an interest in it anywhere close to the BIN level...so passed. I think it's legit though.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1910-Hal-Chase-Fan-for-a-Fan-Souvenir-New-York-Yankees-/190677784169?pt=US_Baseball_Fan_Shop&hash=item2c65481669#ht_500wt_1202

drc
05-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Check the staples.

One thing to look for is look at the staples on the back-- the stick was stapled on. If the staples are dark and rusty, that's a good sign and strongly suggests it's real. If the staples are bright and shiny that is evidence it isn't old-- or at least has been restored recently.

On most antique ephemera like booklets and such, old rusty dark grungy staples is a strong sign of authenticity-- especially when some rust has transferred to the paper or cardstock.

HRBAKER
05-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Agree with Leon, not a fan at any price close to $4250.

packs
05-14-2012, 02:36 PM
I'd pay $425 for it.

Bill Rayburn
05-14-2012, 06:42 PM
POOF--somebody bit