PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel COA

CharleyBrown
05-12-2012, 10:11 AM
How do Grey Flannel COAs match up with PSA/DNA and JSA?

I know all make mistakes, but in general, how trustworthy are they?

drc
05-12-2012, 10:41 AM
For autographs? They're known for game used.

They've made errors (as do most places), but they generally have a good reputation. They've been around for a long time. I don't know how to compare to PSA or JSA autograph LOAs, but Gray Flannel's game used LOAs are roughly held in similar esteem with collectors.

CharleyBrown
05-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Sorry, should have been clearer - I am referring to auto loas.

Thanks drc!

drc
05-12-2012, 11:22 AM
I don't know about their autograph expertise, but they are in general well known and reputable auction house-- which has to count for something.

otismalibu
05-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Doesn't GFC use Spence? I've seen him on their cable show.

travrosty
05-12-2012, 12:44 PM
yeah, they use mr. bow tie and he brings his bat computer with, so i would think the loa would be a jsa one, not a GF LOA. But if it is a GF LOA, you hae to look at whether GF knows autographs.

LOA's are what you make of them. You have to look at who is issuing them. If they are not known for autographs, then beware.

CharleyBrown
05-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Here is a close-up of the auto, and a picture of the Grey Flannel letter.

http://www.uniquecontentwriters.com/images/grey-flannel-letter.jpg

http://www.uniquecontentwriters.com/images/grey-flannel-example.jpg

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Shaun

drc
05-12-2012, 02:29 PM
The LOA is signed by Mike Gutierrez who is a highly respected and well known autograph expert. He used to be an authenticator for PSA/DNA, Mastro and Sotheby's. A vintage baseball autograph LOA from Gutierrez is as reputable and trustworthy as you'll find.

CharleyBrown
05-12-2012, 03:07 PM
drc,

Thanks! Sounds good!

travrosty
05-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Remember this from the haulsofshame.com breaking news.

First photo is a 1939 Induction cover, sold at Mastro in 1999 with a Spence and Guttierez LOA.

Second picture is the same one, now miraculously with a dark Honus Wagner signature added on, was offered at REA in 2001 with a Spence-PSA and Guttierez-MastroNet LOA.

Maybe a second opinion wouldn't be a bad idea. Just saying. Unless you like their Honus Wagner autograph detecting abilities. I can assure you Wagner did not sign from his grave. I just don't know what makes them experts. Did they pass some sort of an exam?

CharleyBrown
05-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Travis,

I remembered reading about that on Haulsofshame and I believe on a thread here.

You are right... the only question is - if that passed PSA/DNA and JSA, who are considered the two biggest authorities by most in the industry, who do I go to for a second opinion?

One of the downsides of the autograph industry for sure.

Tedw9
05-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Richard Simon, who is a board member here, I believe does authentication. And he is very highly respected not only by the board but by the industry also.

CharleyBrown
05-13-2012, 07:02 PM