PDA

View Full Version : REA Chat tonight in our chat room

Leon
05-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Please remember our chat room tonight. When logged in you can see the words " Users in Chat" in the blue bar across the front page. That is where you click to go into it. We have a 50 user license so the first 50 people in will be good to go. Last year it was a blast and we had 40-45 people in there chatting away real time very late into the auction. I remember cussing a few lots with extremely late bids....all in fun. Hope to see some folks in there this evening. Our chat is a separate entity from the rest of the board, in it's hosting, and we are told their image server is having issues which is the reason images can't be posted right now. If you want to know what we go through in working with that company here is their last message back....you will get the idea..

" Hi,
Yes, the user limit to your chat is 50 , so it’s still that many.

In addition, for the image transfer issue, i am sorry, i just checked it with our R&D staff and was told that there is encountering some problem with the image transfer server, so now the image transfer module is not work. But please don't worry, our staff has been working on it, the image transfer module should be working when it's fixed. Hope for your understand and thanks so mush for your patience."

Wayward99
05-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks so mush Leon!! LOL - that's awesome!

I have no horses in this race (REA), but I've been following it as I'm starting to register with some of the auction houses. Out of curiosity, how long has the auction gone for past the 4pm initial bid time in prior years?

Leon
05-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks so mush Leon!! LOL - that's awesome!

I have no horses in this race (REA), but I've been following it as I'm starting to register with some of the auction houses. Out of curiosity, how long has the auction gone for past the 4pm initial bid time in prior years?

I should add to the previous comment that the broken English wasn't a big deal. I am sure they communicate better than I do in their language, but when combined with the "more questions than answers" attitude we got from them it made it all the worse.

Pertaining to the REA closing...
Here is what the REA last email said...

Bidding will continue on all lots after 4:00 PM EDT, but only for those bidders who have previously bid on that very lot. The auction will remain open for bids until approximately fifteen minutes pass without a bid, but as a practical matter, the auction will almost certainly continue for many hours after 4:00 PM EDT. If the auction continues to as late as 11:00 P.M. EDT (which has always been the case in the past), Robert Edward Auctions reserves the right to close the auction, at its sole discretion, at any time. After 11:00 PM EDT, we may close the auction without reference to the fifteen minute rule. We recommend bidders leave maximum left bids utilizing Robert Edward Auctions' "Honest Auto-Bid" system to avoid disappointment.

There will be no warning to exactly when we will close the auction should bidding continue past 11:00 P.M. While in past years the auction has always remained open past 2:00 A.M. EDT (technically the morning of May 13, 2012), we cannot make any guarantees. The auction could close earlier or later. Last year the auction closed a little after 3:30 A.M. After 11:00 PM there is an uncertainty. If you choose to not place a bid after 11:00 PM, you are incurring a risk. This closing system is designed to eliminate strategies which intentionally encourage the auction to remain open endlessly for the express purpose of giving an advantage to bidders who have the ability to literally stay up all night. (Some bidders, if given the opportunity, would repeatedly bid on the smallest value items just to extend the auction, in the hopes that competitors on very significant lots will fall asleep. This closing system takes the power away from bidders who use this strategy.) The auction goes late enough as is.

btcarfagno
05-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Enjoyed it last year and hope to be there this year. Have three consignments and am bidding on three lots, so it will be an eventful evening for me.

Tom C

Wayward99
05-12-2012, 04:01 PM
I should add to the previous comment that the broken English wasn't a big deal. I am sure they communicate better than I do in their language, but when combined with the "more questions than answers" attitude we got from them it made it all the worse.

Leon, I meant no disrespect; it just caught me funny. I understand your frustration in dealing with the situation.

z28jd
05-12-2012, 04:29 PM
I could make it to the chat but I have mush writing to do tonight so instead here is what I would've said.

I should've never got my hopes up that I would finally win something in REA. Every year I place a ton of bids and I've never even been the underbidder on one of their lots. Once I came in third, a moral victory on my part. Twenty-six lots with bids and 26 lots I didn't win. Damn you REA (stops typing to shake fist at their website)

barrysloate
05-12-2012, 04:52 PM
I just tried out the chat room for the first time only to discover I was the only user, so I just had a chat with the four walls. Quite satisfying.

frankbmd
05-12-2012, 05:00 PM
I just tried out the chat room for the first time only to discover I was the only user, so I just had a chat with the four walls. Quite satisfying.

Take some mush to the chat room to nibble on until others arrive.

barrysloate
05-12-2012, 05:03 PM
By the time everyone gets there I'll be asleep....:(

rainier2004
05-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Take some mush to the chat room to nibble on until others arrive.

Mush?

MikeGarcia
05-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Mush?

..sounds like someone has never gone fishing for carp nor has he ever raced across the frozen Arctic tundra on a dog sled , like most of the rest of us have.... ON YOU HUSKIES !...ON KING !

rainier2004
05-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Never been accused of being a city slicker...guess I need to get a husky! Ha!

Rob D.
05-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Mush?

Basically, corn meal formed into a square patty, then fried in a skillet. Pretty old school.

Matt
05-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Anyone using Firefox and able to get in? When I click on the link, it pops up the window, but just sits in the 'loading' stage forever.

Leon
05-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Anyone using Firefox and able to get in? When I click on the link, it pops up the window, but just sits in the 'loading' stage forever.

that sucks....I am using Chrome and it's fine...

Mikehealer
05-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Hi Matt, I'm using Firefox and its fine.

Theoldprofessor
05-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Apparently the Chat Room is working for some but not all. I'm logged in to the Forum, and I've tried logging into Chat too, only to be told in a typed message with a strange accent: "Sorry, the name is not available." What name, what made it unavailable, and how do I get in? Is there a secret knock? Please advise.

Thanks!

Leon
05-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Apparently the Chat Room is working for some but not all. I'm logged in to the Forum, and I've tried logging into Chat too, only to be told in a typed message with a strange accent: "Sorry, the name is not available." What name, what made it unavailable, and how do I get in? Is there a secret knock? Please advise.

Thanks!

Hi Bob...not sure about that issue? I don't know of any special handshake or anything.
Is anyone else not able to get in? Unfortunately the chat room is not something we get good support on....

Matt
05-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Hi Matt, I'm using Firefox and its fine.

OK - then I'm thinking it's a security issue - I'm on my work computer. Will switch over to a home computer.

Matt
05-12-2012, 09:30 PM
OK - then I'm thinking it's a security issue - I'm on my work computer. Will switch over to a home computer.

Figured out the issue - if you are connected to a VPN, that might cause you to get stuck in 'connecting' mode. If you disconnect the VPN, you should be good.

Sterling Sports Auctions
05-12-2012, 10:58 PM
I am getting the same thing as Bob.

Bob were you able to get in?

Lee

Matthew H
05-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Nm

Matt
05-12-2012, 11:38 PM
One other reason someone might have trouble getting in is if they have an old version of Flash. You can get the latest version here:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
and will need to restart your browser after installing.