PDA

View Full Version : A serendipitous turn of events

williamcohon
05-12-2012, 01:20 AM
My friend and I live in the Seattle area, and have been card-collecting buddies since the 80's. Today, when he came home from work, he discovered that he had been robbed. It seems clear that the thief knew what he was after, because he took only one box - the one with the oldest and most valuable cards. He left my friend's sets, and other items of value. He didn't even take the brand new iMac computer, sitting in plain view.

My friend lost 209 cards. I don't know if it is conceivable that he will ever get them back, but it seems like it can't hurt to alert this forum. I have an inventory of his lost cards on an Excel spreadsheet. Is it possible to post it somehow? Or, I could send it to anyone who is interested.

My friend is heartbroken. And I'm sure we all hurt a little bit for him. Suggestions are welcome.

T206Collector
05-12-2012, 01:53 AM
You can certainly list the cards. You also would get more attention with a better subject to the thread, like "Attention! Stolen Baseball Cards!"

zljones
05-12-2012, 03:13 AM
I think it is time for him to reflect upon whom he showed his collection to. This seems like a robbery that the burgler knew exactly what to look for. It is indeed strange that the burgler took nothing else at all. Since the burgler took only that one particular box of cards. Then they not only knew there were cards there, but they new exactly what box of cards to take. Where the Police called? Did the person break in in the same room as the cards they stole? Did the burgler rummage through anything else at all, or go straight for that box and leave? I think it is time to begin analyzing the people that knew of his collection, and what it contained. I tell my closest of friends not to tell random people about my collection nor do I post anything on Facebook because I want to avoid situations like this.
Another question, was he out of town when it happened? Maybe someone he knew, knew exactly when he would not be home?

barrysloate
05-12-2012, 05:32 AM
The thief was so specific with what he took that there is likely a clue there. The crook knew before he entered exactly what he wanted.

sycks22
05-12-2012, 06:41 AM
You could also alert PSA / SGC with the descriptions of any of the cards if they were unique (printing dots / where the creases were / etc). Were any of the cards graded? That wouldn't be hard to track them down if they ever come up for sale at any auction house or ebay. I hope your buddy can get his cards back.

mintacular
05-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Even though my cards are locked and secure, I still have added piece of mind w insurance from CollectInsure, which runs me about $50/year and only took me 15 minutes to fill out the forms, etc. I know in the event that the cards would be stolen that while the $ could not "replace" them it would allow me to try. So if you have a collection of value you really should look into this, sorry about your friend's robbery

pariah1107
05-12-2012, 09:16 AM
What part of Washington state did this take place in? If it is eastern Washington, there are only a handful of dealers who would buy them off this dirtbag. A list of cards would be very helpful. I will personally forward this to dealers east of the Cascades. Note: this is the second theft of vintage baseball cards in the last year in Washington state (earlier thread below)

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/seattle-card-store-burglary-suspect-caught-on-cam/

williamcohon
05-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Last night, my friend alerted a local shop - the very one that had been broken into within the last year. The owner said he would keep an eye out for the cards. And he inquired whether my friend was in a position to pay, if the shop owner were able to buy them. My friend agreed.

This morning, the shop owner called to say that he had the cards. My friend will have to pay (but probably about one tenth the cards' value). I think this is a happy ending, inasmuch as getting robbed, and having to pay to get your stuff back can be seen as happy.

3-2-count
05-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Tell me the police were contacted by the card shop owner.
They simply walked away??????? :confused:

FrankWakefield
05-12-2012, 11:18 AM
The shop owner 'bought' cards from someone who didn't own them... the cards should be returned to the owner without the owner paying for that.

carrigansghost
05-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Sounds a bit fishy, but glad he got his cards back. I think there will be more to the story.

Rawn

3-2-count
05-12-2012, 11:21 AM
The shop owner 'bought' cards from someone who didn't own them... the cards should be returned to the owner without the owner paying for that.

This is how I see it should be as well. Plus I'll mention once again. NO POLICE????

Tao_Moko
05-12-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm confused. I am not questioning the validity of the story at all but no mention of the authorities at all. Did the shop owner notify the police after buying the cards back and give a description or anything? I would think you could easily steer the thief to handle the plastic card holders and get a fingerprint. Possibly even take a snapshot with his phone to id the individual.

DJR
05-12-2012, 11:22 AM

Leon
05-12-2012, 11:23 AM
The shop owner should have required positive ID (if he didn't).....bought the cards and called the owner and the police, in tandem. I am no lawyer but generally I don't think title can pass to others when an item is stolen. Title stays with the rightful owner. So your friend should really get the cards back for no money. I agree that something sounds fishy here...

Deertick
05-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Last night, my friend alerted a local shop - the very one that had been broken into within the last year. The owner said he would keep an eye out for the cards. And he inquired whether my friend was in a position to pay, if the shop owner were able to buy them. My friend agreed.

This morning, the shop owner called to say that he had the cards. My friend will have to pay (but probably about one tenth the cards' value). I think this is a happy ending, inasmuch as getting robbed, and having to pay to get your stuff back can be seen as happy.

Something smells rotten in Seattle.

carrigansghost
05-12-2012, 11:27 AM
I've sold cards at shows, to others and shops, no one asks for ID, but the shop owner is on the hook for this. Do any of the dealers here ask for ID when buying at shows. He does from the story have a surveillance system. It's up to him to pursue the matter with the seller.

Rawn

christopher.herman
05-12-2012, 11:28 AM

Agreed.

Leon
05-12-2012, 11:29 AM
I've sold cards at shows, to others and shops, no one asks for ID, but the shop owner is on the hook for this. Do any of the dealers here ask for ID when buying at shows. He does from the story have a surveillance system. It's up to him to pursue the matter with the seller.

Rawn

The shop owner knew the seller had stolen items. That changes the complexion completely. He therefore should have known to get some kind of id....

carrigansghost
05-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Kkidnapping baseball cards, what's next? I would be calling the police and outing this owner. I hope this is a fabricated event. The owner now becomes part of a potential felony.

Rawn

williamcohon
05-12-2012, 11:47 AM
First of all, the police were called, and a report filed immediately. They didn't offer much hope, but they were in the loop from the start.

I don't know the law, but here's how I see it. My friend wanted his cards back, and essentially authorized the purchase by the owner. Had he been reluctant to do so, I imagine the scene would have played out quite differently. Namely, the shop owner would have required positive id (after all, he knew there was a freshly stolen collection out there), and likely not made a purchase at all.

Also, there is a limit to what should be expected of the shop owner, in terms of apprehending the thief. The way it has played out, there is a chance that the thief's image will have been captured on security video. So this may have been the best shot at getting the collection back AND catching the scoundrel.

There's no doubt that my friend should not have to pay to retrieve what is his. But, for his trouble, and perhaps even risk, I don't think the shop owner should be stiffed. When the thief is caught, he will owe my friend the money.

Leon
05-12-2012, 11:56 AM
First of all, the police were called, and a report filed immediately. They didn't offer much hope, but they were in the loop from the start.

I don't know the law, but here's how I see it. My friend wanted his cards back, and essentially authorized the purchase by the owner. Had he been reluctant to do so, I imagine the scene would have played out quite differently. Namely, the shop owner would have required positive id (after all, he knew there was a freshly stolen collection out there), and likely not made a purchase at all.

Also, there is a limit to what should be expected of the shop owner, in terms of apprehending the thief. The way it has played out, there is a chance that the thief's image will have been captured on security video. So this may have been the best shot at getting the collection back AND catching the scoundrel.

There's no doubt that my friend should not have to pay to retrieve what is his. But, for his trouble, and perhaps even risk, I don't think the shop owner should be stiffed. When the thief is caught, he will owe my friend the money.

To me, notwithstanding law, those facts probably do change my view. If your friend made a "contract" with the store owner, while knowing all pertinent facts, then it should be honored and sounds like it either was or will be, which is good. I do hope the thief gets busted and is brought to justice. If we are real fortunate, even conversation on the internet (such as this) could have an impact on the situation.

carrigansghost
05-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Risk, Trouble? Guess things work differently in my circle. A neighbor that is 5'6" chased down a thief that was 6', tackled him and held him til the police arrived last month, when asked if he was aware the suspect might have a gun, he said, "It didn't matter, we are a family in this neighborhood".

I hope you will post the resulting arrests in this case.

Rawn

nolemmings
05-12-2012, 12:59 PM
At a minimum, the store owner should have paid by check--tell the buyer you need to do this for inventory, accounting and tax purposes. Then you have a name for the payee and the money can be traced. This should not arouse suspicion. Hopefully the video will help.

BTW, I still receive periodic restitution checks--$40 or so--from the burglar (through the Clerk of Court) who stole from me many years ago. The system can work, and I found that the law enforcement here in AZ did take an active role in helping me (most of my cards were recovered) and catching the bad guy, and for that I am very grateful.

FrankWakefield
05-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Store owner should have paid by check... and / or gotten a license plate number.

Fingerprint proof is seldom used. Smudged prints and inconclusive partials are the norm, and that is for the few times they're lifted. It works well on TV, almost never in real life.

tbob
05-12-2012, 03:55 PM

Please out the card shop dealer so I never do business with him on ebay or otherwise. This whole things smells bad. I echo what others have said- the owner should have carefully removed the plastic card holders for fingerprint examination by police, he should have paid by check, etc. I am just amazed the guy had a security camera working, or did he? I also would assume the police were not too happy that they weren't called immediately. One last red flag is that this particular card dealer was broken in to during the last year. Hmmm, can you say "insurance claim?" Maybe because I do a lot of criminal defense work I may be a tad cynical, but this has strangeness written all over it.
tbob

zljones
05-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Please out the card shop dealer so I never do business with him on ebay or otherwise. This whole things smells bad. I echo what others have said- the owner should have carefully removed the plastic card holders for fingerprint examination by police, he should have paid by check, etc. I am just amazed the guy had a security camera working, or did he? I also would assume the police were not too happy that they weren't called immediately. One last red flag is that this particular card dealer was broken in to during the last year. Hmmm, can you say "insurance claim?" Maybe because I do a lot of criminal defense work I may be a tad cynical, but this has strangeness written all over it.
tbob

+1

travrosty
05-12-2012, 04:51 PM
the card shop owner should have looked at the whole box of cards then kept the cards, and told the guy to call the police if he didn't like it.

Ejm1
05-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Maybe the shop owner never paid for the cards and the thief is a buddy of his and this was a bascially a kidnapping for cash type of thing? Who knows. Was O.J. Simpson involved?

smtjoy
05-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Glad your friend got his cards back and I would recommend him buying a safe asap, someone already knows what he has and has stolen it once, or consider a bank safety deposit box. Leaving valuable cards around the house in a box is asking for trouble, even if insured.

Clutch-Hitter
05-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Store owner should have paid by check... and / or gotten a license plate number.

Fingerprint proof is seldom used. Smudged prints and inconclusive partials are the norm, and that is for the few times they're lifted. It works well on TV, almost never in real life.

+1 (on entire post)

Doesn't sound random. Flat-screens, laptops, guns, etc are the norm. Burglars, which are on heavy drugs 150% of the time, typically don't know cards, especially the one box among many. They want what they know, which is why homeowners wonder why he or she didn't get this or that because it's valuable...they don't know that just because you do. Pro burglars are on TV only. This is what I've heard anyway.

Pup6913
05-12-2012, 09:26 PM
It don't add up correctly. Will you pay for them and then bam the next day they are brought in to the owner who turns a dime for it. I think the police should question the owner of the shop and look into the robbery of it last yr. I would be very leary. Red flags all around:mad:

FrankWakefield
05-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Bank tellers are told not to discuss their kids, or where the kids are... not to take the same route home all of the time...

Maybe someone followed the collector home from this shop one day, having overheard then, or previously, that the collector had old cards. Had the collector shown the cards to many people?? This is the tip of an iceberg of a mess...