PDA

View Full Version : Should I or shouldn't I?

Deertick
05-11-2012, 05:31 PM
I have a extremely "rare" (I know, I know!) 22" x 17" team picture of the 1973 Phillies. It is the only one I have ever seen and I have had it over 30 years. I think it is beautiful as a standalone piece. Back in the late 80's I thought it was a good idea to get Larry Bowa to sign it.

Now my dilemma. Should I attempt to fill it in with some additonal autos? I can fairly easily get 9 or 10 more, but many are now deceased and I'm not sure if having Earl Stephenson on it will detract from it's value. Aside from value, how about aesthetically?

I'd really like some honest input, no matter how harsh it may be:eek:

thecatspajamas
05-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Maybe you could do a high-resolution scan of the piece as it is now, clean it up in photoshop (including removing Bowa's sig), and have a full-size color print made of that, and then proceed with acquiring additional sigs on the original.

Since you won't be able to get everyone's signature on it, maybe focus more on balancing it out so that all of the autographs are not visually weighted on one side or the other. Then you would have some display options, whether it be the cleaned-up reprint or the autograph-laden final product.

canjond
05-11-2012, 07:45 PM
I personally like the suggestion above - and fill it out with more signatures!

murphusa
05-11-2012, 07:47 PM
sorry but unless I am missing something it is not very rare. I have 3 that are quite similer.

What make it rare

mr2686
05-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Get it signed...no doubt about it.

Deertick
05-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Maybe you could do a high-resolution scan of the piece as it is now, clean it up in photoshop (including removing Bowa's sig), and have a full-size color print made of that, and then proceed with acquiring additional sigs on the original.

Since you won't be able to get everyone's signature on it, maybe focus more on balancing it out so that all of the autographs are not visually weighted on one side or the other. Then you would have some display options, whether it be the cleaned-up reprint or the autograph-laden final product.

This is indeed a good suggestion! As far as the balancing, my skills with photoshop aren't good enough for me to rearrange the players. :)

sorry but unless I am missing something it is not very rare. I have 3 that are quite similer.

What make it rare

You have three 22" x 17" original 1973 Phillies team pictures? The one that is Mike Schmidt's first image wearing the #20? The one that noone at the old Willow Grove shows nor the National in Atlantic City nor any other Schmidt / Phillies collector had ever seen? Well, that makes it four known to me! Are you looking to sell?

drc
05-11-2012, 10:12 PM
As it's already signed, you might as well get the other signatures.

travrosty
05-12-2012, 12:12 AM
As it's already signed, you might as well get the other signatures.

yep, agreed, there are two kind of collectors who might be interested in this, those that like a signed piece, and those that want the original item in its original state, since it already has a larry bowa sig, the toothpaste is already out of the tube. getting more wont hurt the items value, it might increase it, might not, but i dont think it would be worth less since it has already gone the autograph route.

JollyElm
05-12-2012, 04:33 AM
The one that is Mike Schmidt's first image wearing the #20?

As a Mets fan, I hated that team!! Argh!!! Oh, you can't see Schmidt's #20 in this picture.

murphusa
05-12-2012, 04:48 AM
It is a picture on paper right or is it a photograph on photo paper. To me it looks like a poster. These were from a point in spring training and were sold in the gift store in clearwater

Deertick
05-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Travis, David: That's kinda what I thought. Unringing the bell.

Jolly, technically correct. And is he really wearing pants?:)

Deertick
05-12-2012, 10:25 AM
It is a picture on paper right or is it a photograph on photo paper. To me it looks like a poster. These were from a point in spring training and were sold in the gift store in clearwater

Jim, I'd love to see your posters. Can you post a scan of at least one of them for me? And you are right, it WAS taken in spring training! Right outside the locker room / offices in the Carpenter Complex. Do you have any idea which particular gift shop in Clearwater sold these? They may have some NOS of these lying around! Or if you have any other leads, again I'm in a buying mood!