PDA

View Full Version : 1951 Kansas City Minor League Program w/Mickey Mantle

bcbgcbrcb
05-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Does anyone know if these programs were reprinted at a later date? Can any of the experts out there tell if this one looks original?

jerseygary
05-10-2012, 08:40 AM
I can't tell you without holding if if it's a reprint, but Bob Lemke wrote a good article about the existence of fake (or reproduction) Mantle scorecards for his Joplin and Independence teams he played on. Took me a while to find this, but I knew it was out there somewhere:

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2010/01/watch-out-for-mantle-program-reprints.html

smotan_02
05-10-2012, 10:58 AM
I would look closely for creases within the program that transferred in the reprint process. It should look like a crease but the paper is flat. Also, the paper should be thick stock as the previous poster said.

bcbgcbrcb
05-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the good info, guys. Unfortunately, I don't have it in hand to check that closely but I think that I might very well pass on the opportuinity to buy it knowing the risk level out there with known reproductions in existance.

drc
05-10-2012, 11:18 AM
In person, you can smell it. See (so to speak) if it smells musty. Most magazines, books, scorecards etc that old will smell musty or otherwise old.

There is a famous ancient vase expert, one of the foremost authorities in the world. Along with all the scientific testes, one of his authentication techniques is to lick the vase because cause he knows what they should taste like. He said his wife is worried he will some day die of some ancient Chinese disease.