PDA

View Full Version : Auto info help - Verion (Rube) Walker

mr2686
05-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Need some help please. Does anyone have any info on how easy/hard it is to find a Verion (Rube) Walker autograph? Not to be confused with his better known brother Albert (Rube) Walker, Verion was a career minor leaguer but also coached with the Chicago Cubs in the 60's. As if two brothers with the same nickname isn't strange enough, Verion coached with the Cubs in 69, the same year Albert coached with the Mets.
Any help would be appreciated.

jgmp123
05-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Mike,

I think you just found a pretty lofty challenge there...Not finding much info on Verion signing...He passed away in 1971, so not a lot of auto's out there...

Best of luck!

jgmp123
05-09-2012, 08:33 AM
I was able to dig this up...pretty steep price at $495

http://www.qualityautographs.com/app/items_2006.php?cmd=item&id=8609

mr2686
05-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Thanks James. Keatings site was one of the first I checked but for some reason when I type his name in it doesn't come up. It came up for me with your link and also if I put in just Walker. Very strange, but at least I know where one is now. May just have to suck it up and pay. Thanks again!

mschwade
05-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Mike his name is Verlon, with an l not with an i.

mr2686
05-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks Matt. Yeah, I figured that out just a little while ago. I had gone out to the web to determine all the Cubs coaches from 1969 and it had
Verlon spelled wrong. Funny thing is, I couldn't find Charley Smith either (that's how it's spelled on Baseball-Reference.com) but then found a few autos and topps cards under the Charlie spelling. What's a poor collector to do? :D I'm actually getting pretty lucky with this project since I'm trying to find as many players on Cubs baseball cards as possible and there are quite a few, and was happy to find that coach Joe Amalfitano, although not having a 69 coaches card, did play for the Cubs a few years prior so I just picked up a nice signed 1964...so at least one thing went right today.

mschwade
05-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Nice! Congrats on the pickup! What's the project?

mr2686
05-09-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm calling it The Great Collapse...the 1969 Cubs. It originally was going to be all of the starting players on Topps cards and I was going to mat them around my Ron Santo signed 8x10 of the black cat walking past him and the dugout, but I just couldn't leave it at that and now will do something similiar only with all the players on the roster, and I'm also including about 4 baseballs as well. Thought this would be a fairly cheap project, but between Walker and Randy Bobb, the price got jacked up a little. Still not a bad project and one of the few where you can still have several cards signed through the mail if needed.

mschwade
05-09-2012, 12:19 PM
I'm calling it The Great Collapse...the 1969 Cubs. It originally was going to be all of the starting players on Topps cards and I was going to mat them around my Ron Santo signed 8x10 of the black cat walking past him and the dugout, but I just couldn't leave it at that and now will do something similiar only with all the players on the roster, and I'm also including about 4 baseballs as well. Thought this would be a fairly cheap project, but between Walker and Randy Bobb, the price got jacked up a little. Still not a bad project and one of the few where you can still have several cards signed through the mail if needed.

I need to come up with catchy names for my projects! :)