PDA

View Full Version : B-18 Blanket Display

Hankphenom
05-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Promised to post a pic of this in another thread. Lousy photo, but you get the idea. Had no thought of this when I bought them in an auction, but when I laid them out, to my amazement the nine blankets formed a perfect diamond, with each player in his position! Had them framed with archival tape so I could put them on the wall. Incidentally, this team was significant in Washington baseball history, assembled by Clark Griffith when he arrived in 1912 and staying together as regulars for four years, 1912-15, finishing in the first division each year and second in 1912-13. Griffith fondly called them "my little ballclub." They couldn't hit, but with great defense, speed, and brains, they were right in there with the great A's and Red Sox teams of the era. Oh, and they also had Walter Johnson at the absolute peak of his powers.

RGold
05-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Beautiful display. Nicely done. Enjoyed seeing it.

bigtrain
05-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Walter Johnson at the peak of his powers?... I guess... if you consider averaging 31 wins and 9 shutouts while pitching to an ERA of about 1.45 and throwing more innings than any other pitcher in baseball to be good.

terjung
05-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Fantastic display! When you talked about it in the other thread, I had no idea they all were the same color. Great, great job!

Hankphenom
05-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks. And this is a REALLY bad photo, I had too much light overhead and it washed the colors out terribly, it's so much prettier than it looks here. I'll try to get a better one up sometime, but I'm a real technophobe because I just suck at it. I've always been taken at how my blankets fit together so perfectly to make this display, and wonder if anyone had this in mind when they made them. I'd be curious to find out if the other teams worked so well this way, with eight position players in their place and the star pitcher on the mound, or even if there were exactly nine blankets per team.

Donscards
05-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Great display of your blankets---I might as well show you mine with Ty Cobb, Wallace,Coveleski and others I couldnt get a close up but u get the idea. thanks, Don

bsuttonosu
05-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Those are both great displays.

What product are you using to mount the blankets to the background? I recently purchased an old pennant I want to mount in a similar fashion but want to make sure not to damage it in any way. Appreciate any insight.

Boomer
05-09-2012, 06:47 AM
That's cool Hank

Hankphenom
05-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Those are both great displays.

What product are you using to mount the blankets to the background? I recently purchased an old pennant I want to mount in a similar fashion but want to make sure not to damage it in any way. Appreciate any insight.

My framer said he used archival tape to mount the blankets to the backing, that's all I know about it.