PDA

View Full Version : Ebay rife with fake autographs they don't seem to do anything about!

travrosty
05-01-2012, 04:00 PM
My name is Travis Roste, I have been on the boxing autograph scene for awhile now.

I notice ebay has quite a few fake boxing autographs on its listings right now, and even though they get reported again, and again, and again, and can be proven to be not real. They do nothing about it! Ebay is a haven for fakes and they just don't seem to care.

Why can't ebay simply have a laison for each sport and let members of ebay report to that person so something can get done about these fakes?

Sending a report through the ebay reporting system is like trying to call outer mongolia from a pay phone in haiti.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Muhammad-Ali-Laila-Ali-Autographed-Photos-with-COA-/390365074845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae392559d

Here is the first one i will list, it has been reported many times, both through the system and through industry people, and it is still up. I and others report it again and again and again and again and again.

IT'S AN AUTOPEN OF MUHAMMAD ALI! C'mon ebay!! Man up. why is it still allowed to be up???? As far as I can tell it has never, ever been taken down. Google Ali autopen and see dozens more exactly like this one.

A lot, lot more to come. If someone can tell ebay to view this thread, it would be appreciated. who is in charge over at ebay, is someone sleeping at the switch?

phikappapsi
05-01-2012, 09:05 PM
eBay doesn't care, they waive all liability, and they get a percentage of every sale. They simply could care less about fakes. The only reason they take down reported items is to cover their a$$ if the item sells after being reported.

They are not acting in a buyers best interest, ever.

travrosty
05-03-2012, 07:22 AM
three days, still up. obviously ebay does not care, we reported it a few more times. NOTHING!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boxing-Auto-8-x-10-photo-of-Muhammad-Ali-Don-King-and-Joe-Frazier-GREAT-PHOTO-/190603038490?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c60d38f1a

Here's the next one. An operation bullpen john olsen fake of muhammad ali , joe frazier, and don king. This one has been up forever too!

OPERATION BULLPEN WAS WELL OVER A DECADE AGO!

People cant figure out this is a horrible operation bullpen fake.

its been reported multiple times too.

Ebay doesn't care at all. can anyone tell ebay to stop by here and look at the fakes that are infesting their auction site?

It's like talking to a brick wall when trying to report something to ebay!

Lot's more to come. We need more videos on youtube showing these ebay fakes!

Ebay's grade for today ... F

thetruthisoutthere
05-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Looks like Ebay removed those two auctions.

Fuddjcal
05-04-2012, 08:39 AM
I agree with you Travis that it is frustrating as hell looking up "ALI" (like i would look up Mantle) and see nothing but forgeries. It is sickening when you feel they do nothing about it. It's one of the reasons I lost my passion for collecting.

I do feel they have done a pretty good job the past 6 months to a year (where Mantle is concerned) , about pulling the obvious fakes and especially the ones that have the certs that are not accepted. It obviously has not trickled down to boxing or at least it's taking longer to remove them.

I do feel they should pay more attention to the reports members make, because if they don't, why have them?

Keep on doing what you believe in and maybe, some day there will be change for the better?

travrosty
05-04-2012, 08:53 AM
getting the boxing fakes off of ebay is like pulling teeth. you report it, and show proof, and never hear back, and the easiest ones in the world like an autopen and an operation bullpen signature stay up for weeks and months because there is no way to punch through the bureaucracy and no one there is an autograph expert anyway.

They just don't care, if they did, they would have a real way of contacting them and a laison there that knosw autographs and could pull them right away, especially on these slam dunk instances.

I will post two more soon that are obviously bad, these are psa and jsa examples, so there wont be a chance in hades that ebay will ever pull them off their site.

RichardSimon
05-04-2012, 04:30 PM
I do feel they have done a pretty good job the past 6 months to a year (where Mantle is concerned) , about pulling the obvious fakes and especially the ones that have the certs that are not accepted.

That is absolutely true and when certain people make reports, things get done. When the average person makes a report it gathers computer dust.
And the right people have been making reports about Mantle.

thecatspajamas
05-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Would it be possible to just have a running thread here on the board, that could/would be checked by "certain people", dedicated solely to calling out forgeries on eBay?

That way there would be a one-stop summary for whoever is doing the policing for eBay, not limited to just Mantles or boxing, but which everyone who has sufficient expertise can pitch in on. It wouldn't excuse whoever eBay has on tap from their normal duties of sniffing out forgeries, but certainly seems like it would be more effective than individuals sending reports straight to eBay only to have them ignored (as evidenced by the couple already pulled as a result of this thread).

Maybe this thread is an unconscious start to just such an regular feature?

travrosty
05-14-2012, 07:37 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Louis-ORIGINAL-1930s-Photo-SIGNED-Autographed-by-him-/360454496036?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ecc31f24

obvious secretarial joe louis that ebay doesnt care if it is up or not. how many times does a fake secretarial louis have to be listed for sale before ebay catches it?

RichardSimon
05-15-2012, 08:03 AM
This item has been pulled by ebay.