PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Baseball Mitt?

perezfan
04-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Looking for a definitive answer on this one, but educated guesses are ok as well ;)

It looks like perhaps the equivalent of a Workmans Glove (but in the form of a Baseman's Mitt). It has some apparent inconsistencies too, so just looking for some advanced input on this one... it would make a pretty cool Oven Mitt, if it's not baseball-related!

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide,
Mark

perezfan
04-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Just wanted to add that it's 9" tall X 7.5" wide.

Thanks!

slidekellyslide
04-27-2012, 01:59 PM
That is a strange one. Can't give you a definitive answer as I've not seen anything like it before.

murphusa
04-27-2012, 03:03 PM
I do not believe it is a baseball glove

ruth-gehrig
04-27-2012, 04:04 PM
It's hard to believe it would be a baseball glove. Doesn't look right to me:confused:

Bill Rayburn
04-27-2012, 04:10 PM
How about early Hand Ball ???

phikappapsi
04-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Haha, 1940s oven mitt

prewarsports
04-27-2012, 06:49 PM
I have gotten scammed only once in my life and it was on a similar item. I am 99.9% sure that is a handball glove and not baseball.

Rhys Yeakley

deebro041
04-27-2012, 07:28 PM
I remember seeing a similar one on Ebay not quite six months ago. I asked the seller if it was a handball glove(not in the description) and he said he thought it might be.

wadeinbmore
04-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Cricket?

perezfan
04-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks to all, for the input so far. The measurements are a bit bigger than the Handball Gloves of the era. Also, the early Handball Gloves typically had less padding, split fingers, and more of a "tornado" or spiral stitch pattern. Similar to this one, bit different...

This one is being sold as a Baseball Glove, but I am skeptical as well. Maybe some of the seasoned Glove Gurus will chime in after the fact. If it is a Baseball Glove, it's an insanely rare example.

william_9
04-27-2012, 09:06 PM
This mitt has been discussed on and off the glove forum as well. I don't think it has any support as a baseball mitt. If it were a basemitt, it very likely would have been known through catalog images before surfacing, and that hasn't happened. Additionally, though the back is very well made, the front isn't of the same standard. Its shape suggests something other than catching - even the earliest gloves and mitts had a shape that was purpose-made to protect during the act of catching a ball in flight. This doesn't look like it would collapse in any way that would ever form a pocket for the ball.

http://www.vintagebaseballgloveforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5060

Baseball Glove Collector
04-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Hey Mark,

I agree with William. The front looks too rigid, more like for swatting than bending for catching. Plus, the front looks like an earlier pattern or style than the back, which is more consistent with a handball type glove.

We have tons of sporting goods catalogs and a lot of them are pre-1900. We also have all the glove and mitt patents back to the 1880's and it's not like anything we have seen or anything we would expect to see. Cool looking mitt but I don't like it as a baseball mitt or mitten.

JD

perezfan
04-28-2012, 12:12 AM
Thanks for coming on to comment, William and JD...

Your input is much appreciated and makes complete sense. Normally, I am not in favor of "outing" auctions. But since this Mitt is apparently being misrepresented, I believe that doing so could save someone potential grief. Here's the listing- which contains no disclaimers or qualifications to the seller's "Baseball Glove" claim.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261007291713?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

When I first started collecting gloves, I bought an early softball glove with a crescent pad (and really overpaid). It resembled a classic Crescent Glove, and as a novice collector I couldn't see the tell-tale signs. The seller didn't bother to disclose the difference, and I got killed on that purchase.

Live and learn, I suppose... hope someone doesn't get burned too badly on this one- but it's already exceeded $250 :eek:

Baseball Glove Collector
04-28-2012, 04:48 PM
I went through a few catalogs and I was quick to find this one. I started in the 1920's. This is a cut and paste from the Ken Wel '24 catalog. Looks pretty close to me. Another thing of note, model numbers (9 on the mitt) don't appear on many of the early or crude baseball gloves and mitts, which would lead us to believe it is a professionally manufactured piece and not that early.

Sorry for the small pic. Had trouble formatting it to upload. You can see it better in the full catalog in the library on my site.

JD
www.baseballglovecollector.com

Mr. Mitt
04-28-2012, 05:50 PM
That's good enough for me to end the baseball discussion... Thanks Jim!

perezfan
04-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Ditto... thanks Jim! Never knew Handball Mitts existed... great detective work. I hope that prospective bidders see this and/or the Glove Forum discussion. :)

perezfan
04-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Looks like this thread didn't do enough good. The Handball Mitt is now at $700.00 with lots of time still to go :eek:

Sure wish Ebay didn't start hiding other bidders' IDs... Bad for the hobby.

murphusa
04-29-2012, 06:09 PM
If you don't do research on collectables, autographs, stocks anything before you buy you deserve what you get.

And if you check a few threads here sometimes people ignore the warnings anyhow

LuvsGloves
04-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Sold! $825.

jpop43
04-30-2012, 01:03 PM
I have some leather gardening gloves that are very 19th century in appearance...I'd be willing to part with them for half of that...I'll post to ebay tonight ;)

frankbmd
04-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Vintage Whack-A-Mole Glove from the pre-mallet era.