PDA

View Full Version : information about buying autographed item

g_vezina_c55
04-27-2012, 10:33 AM
hi everybody

i am into sportcards since 1990 but i never bought any autographed item in my life. I have no experience in this part of the hobby and now i came to a step in my hobby carreer to perhaps buy autographed item

BUT

i would like to have some trick from you memorabilia expert how can i buy an item like a ball autographed by mickey mantle and be sure i am not victim of a fraud.. ?

If i see a ball like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSA-DNA-MICKEY-MANTLE-AUTOGRAPHED-SIGNED-AMERICAN-LEAGUE-BOBBY-BROWN-BASEBALL-/230777695456?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bb6c2ce0

it is legit ? i see a letter from PSA DNA but a simple letter is easy to counterfeit no ?

any help to guide me into the purchase of autographed item is welcome

So any advice to how to buy autograph item is welcome

thanks

travrosty
04-27-2012, 10:43 AM
if it says psa or jsa, that means nothing and their word is just an opinion and not backed up by anything. so forget that. we have just seen walter johnson, goose goslin, ty cobb get pulled off of ebay, and these had certs by the "big two".

go to a respectable authenticator or dealer and they can help you find a real mantle.

shelly
04-27-2012, 10:54 AM
The is perfect not a ten but the signiture is a good as it gets.:)

g_vezina_c55
04-27-2012, 10:56 AM
if it says psa or jsa, that means nothing and their word is just an opinion and not backed up by anything. so forget that. we have just seen walter johnson, goose goslin, ty cobb get pulled off of ebay, and these had certs by the "big two".

go to a respectable authenticator or dealer and they can help you find a real mantle.

OK

i thinked it was like in cards. When a card is graded by sgc or psa or bgs, we can buy it and be sure it is the real thing...
it is not the same for autographed item.

the seller , look like to be a big dealer, he sell many auto item..

http://stores.ebay.com/Mill-Creek-Sports?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Lordstan
04-27-2012, 11:19 AM
The autograph in the first link appears fine.
Personally, I think Mill Creek is a very reputable outfit. I also think they are very expensive.
$499 for a smudged Mantle ball isn't a good deal in my book.

If you want a Mantle ball that is guaranteed to be real or your money back, I would consider contacting Richard Simon or Jim Stinson.
Rich is a board member. I don't think Jim is.

Both have excellent reputations and expertise. Both are also very reasonably priced. I don't mean cheap, but very fair.

Good Luck,
Mark

g_vezina_c55
04-27-2012, 11:48 AM
The autograph in the first link appears fine.
Personally, I think Mill Creek is a very reputable outfit. I also think they are very expensive.
$499 for a smudged Mantle ball isn't a good deal in my book.

If you want a Mantle ball that is guaranteed to be real or your money back, I would consider contacting Richard Simon or Jim Stinson.
Rich is a board member. I don't think Jim is.

Both have excellent reputations and expertise. Both are also very reasonably priced. I don't mean cheap, but very fair.

Good Luck,
Mark

i am not familliar with autographed ball value.

According to you, you seem to know this domain, how much is the value of a mantle auto ball ?

If it is possible i would like to have a ball at the time when mantle played....

you said in the first link the price seem not a good price.. how much it is the value ?

thx

drc
04-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Mantle did signings with UDA (Upper Deck Authenticated) so UDA Mantles are reliable. Witnessed in person. Though UDA's will probably bring a premium in price.

Duly note that Travosty is harsher than most anyone on PSA and JSA. Those two companies offer good opinions on autographs, but can make mistakes from time to time. PSA and JSA's opinion is definitely worth something.

A key is to buy from reputable sellers, especially reputable in autographs. Gather a list of good a autograph dealers and check on what they have.

I happen to know of the ebay seller in your Mantle link. I think he specializes in game used not autographs, and I've never bought from him, but think he's a reputable enough seller.

Mill Creek is a reputable and well known dealer.

g_vezina_c55
04-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Mantle did signings with UDA (Upper Deck Authenticated) so UDA Mantles are reliable. Witnessed in person. Though UDA's will probably bring a premium in price.

A key is to buy from reputable sellers, especially reputable in autographs. Gather a list of good a autograph dealers and check on what they have.

I happen to know of the seller in your link. I think he specializes in game used not autographs, and I've never bought from him, but think he's a reputable enough seller.

do you have a couple website link to specialized autograph ball seller ?

thx

Lordstan
04-27-2012, 04:09 PM
There are no specialized ball sellers per se. Most autograph dealers sell a wide variety of items that are signed.

As far as a price. I think $300-500 is probably a reasonable range to expect for a decent signed Mantle baseball. It certainly could be much higher. If the ball was a ball in perfect condition, has a special inscription, or comes from UDA, as DRC mentioned, it can draw a premium price. I wouldn't expect to pay that for a smudged one.

I think my advice for you is probably similar to if a non card collector came to you for advice about buying a certain type of card. I think most would probably say to do some research on what they want, what the prices are, and then find a reputable dealer to deal with.

My recommendation on those two dealers stands. Both are fair and honest. If they don't have want you want, I know they point you in the right direction.

Good Luck,
Mark

g_vezina_c55
04-27-2012, 05:58 PM
There are no specialized ball sellers per se. Most autograph dealers sell a wide variety of items that are signed.

As far as a price. I think $300-500 is probably a reasonable range to expect for a decent signed Mantle baseball. It certainly could be much higher. If the ball was a ball in perfect condition, has a special inscription, or comes from UDA, as DRC mentioned, it can draw a premium price. I wouldn't expect to pay that for a smudged one.

I think my advice for you is probably similar to if a non card collector came to you for advice about buying a certain type of card. I think most would probably say to do some research on what they want, what the prices are, and then find a reputable dealer to deal with.

My recommendation on those two dealers stands. Both are fair and honest. If they don't have want you want, I know they point you in the right direction.

Good Luck,
Mark

Thx a lot for all informations. I will do my homework before made any purchase

Thx again

RichardSimon
04-28-2012, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the recommendation.
I don't have a Mantle ball in stock now.