PDA

View Full Version : Show us your Perfect Game pitcher autographs!

mr2686
04-22-2012, 01:35 PM
In honor of Philip Humber's perfect game yesterday, let's see some sigs from perfect game pitchers.
I think we can also include pitchers that had a perfecto through 9 but then got it busted up...and maybe even by a blown call!
I'll start it off with this one.

Scott Garner
04-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Mike,
Nice Charlie Robertson sig!!

Here is a look at all of my signed perfect game tickets from Don Larsen to present. The only one you wont see here are Catfish Hunter (he passed away before I had a chance to have him sign my PG game to his game and Philip Humber (too recently to have gotten his sig).

Anyway, here they are in chronological order:
Don Larsen
Jim Bunning
Sandy Koufax
Len Barker
Mike Witt
Tom Browning
Dennis Martinez
Kenny Rogers
David Wells
David Cone
Randy Johnson
Mark Buehrle
Dallas Braden
Roy Halladay

geor952
04-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Scott,
Great collection. I remember in high school standing in line to get Tom Browning to sign the box score of his perfecto with a friend of mine. He signed an 88' Fleer for me and the clipping for my friend. A great memory!

frankbmd
04-22-2012, 06:24 PM
with a perfect game catcher.

Scott Garner
04-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Mike,
Nice Charlie Robertson sig!!

Here is a look at all of my signed perfect game tickets from Don Larsen to present. The only one you wont see here are Catfish Hunter (he passed away before I had a chance to have him sign my PG game to his game and Philip Humber (too recently to have gotten his sig).

Anyway, here they are in chronological order:
Don Larsen
Jim Bunning
Sandy Koufax
Len Barker
Mike Witt
Tom Browning
Dennis Martinez
Kenny Rogers
David Wells
David Cone
Randy Johnson
Mark Buehrle
Dallas Braden
Roy Halladay

Here are the rest of them...

frankbmd
04-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Two days before the Martinez perfect game in LA on 7/28/91, Mark Gardner no hit the Dodgers for 9 innings, only to lose in the tenth 1-0. Gardner walked two, one of whom was erased by a DP. Hershiser, Gross and Howell allowed 2 hits to the Expos. Three singles in the bottom of the tenth scored the game's only run. In the three game series the Expos pounded out a total of 11 hits and scored only twice in the perfect game.

How do i know all this? I was there on Friday and didn't save my ticket.

mr2686
04-22-2012, 07:35 PM
I don't have a ticket but here's a signed 1960 card of Harvey Haddix. Ol' Harv went 12 perfect innings only to lose in the 13th. Talk about heartbreak.

Scott Garner
04-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Two days before the Martinez perfect game in LA on 7/28/91, Mark Gardner no hit the Dodgers for 9 innings, only to lose in the tenth 1-0. Gardner walked two, one of whom was erased by a DP. Hershiser, Gross and Howell allowed 2 hits to the Expos. Three singles in the bottom of the tenth scored the game's only run. In the three game series the Expos pounded out a total of 11 hits and scored only twice in the perfect game.

How do i know all this? I was there on Friday and didn't save my ticket.

Frank,

That would have been a great game to have attended.
Here is your ticket to the Mark Gardner near perfect game. ;)
I'm still working on getting it signed. Currently it resides with a friend of mine in Northern Calif. who is trying to provide the big assist.

frankbmd
04-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Frank,

That would have been a great game to have attended.
Here is your ticket to the Mark Gardner near perfect game. ;)
I'm still working on getting it signed. Currently it resides with a friend of mine in Northern Calif. who is trying to provide the big assist.

That's it!!! And my son was in Seat 118.

baseballart
04-22-2012, 08:20 PM
If I can sneak this unsigned ticket in, here's yesterday's ticket from the first row, plus parking pass

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8164/6958525606_9bf1e2614c_c.jpg

Scott Garner
04-22-2012, 08:38 PM
If I can sneak this unsigned ticket in, here's yesterday's ticket from the first row, plus parking pass

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8164/6958525606_9bf1e2614c_c.jpg

Max,
Did you go to the Humber perfect game?

baseballart
04-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Scott

Yes, I was there. First row, right behind home plate. Here's a video I took of the last at bat. Pretty amazing game.
http://youtu.be/7Vtwub-6uhg (somehow I can't embed it)

Max

Scott Garner
04-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Scott,
Great collection. I remember in high school standing in line to get Tom Browning to sign the box score of his perfecto with a friend of mine. He signed an 88' Fleer for me and the clipping for my friend. A great memory!

Thanks George!

David Atkatz
04-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Here's one:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/datkatz/cy_young_sig.jpg

Scott Garner
04-23-2012, 02:13 AM
Scott

Yes, I was there. First row, right behind home plate. Here's a video I took of the last at bat. Pretty amazing game.
http://youtu.be/7Vtwub-6uhg (somehow I can't embed it)

Max

Wow, Max! That's one heck of a seat to have had to witness this game!! :eek:
Thanks for posting the last at bat video link- I'm jealous!

Very, very cool!

Scott Garner
04-23-2012, 02:14 AM
Here's one:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/datkatz/cy_young_sig.jpg

Nice Cy David! ;)

Tom Hufford
04-23-2012, 11:31 AM
I wrote to Charlie Robertson several times in the early 1970's, with no reply. Then one year, I happened to write him just before the anniversary of his perfect game (April 30), and he responded in just a few days, and dated the autographs April 30.

So, every year thereafter until Robertson died (about 10 years), I wrote to him in mid- to late-April, and each year he responded, signing everything I ever sent. I never sent him a ball to sign, though, which I've always regretted.

Tom

HexsHeroes
04-24-2012, 06:05 AM

. . . but still a shame that umpire error still counts against qualification of this effort as a perfect game.

(image has been "borrowed" from ebay)

Scott Garner
04-26-2012, 05:09 AM

. . . but still a shame that umpire error still counts against qualification of this effort as a perfect game.

(image has been "borrowed" from ebay)

Vincent,
I totally agree! :(

mcgwirecom
04-26-2012, 05:47 AM
I just got back from a west coast 7 ballpark tour with my nephew. We were in Seattle for a game on the 17th. Missed that perfecto by 4 days! We were sitting in a restaurant in San Diego and saw the last inning. To fly 3000 miles and miss by 4 days, ughhhh! And one of the rarest feats in baseball. Anyway, here are my Jim Bunning and Roy Halladay tickets.

mr2686
04-26-2012, 07:01 AM
Randall, I hope you caught us out here in So.Cal while we were having several days of summer like weather. Today it's pouring rain...aghhh!

mcgwirecom
04-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Was in SD on Sat. , Angels Sun. , Dodgers Mon. I think it was pretty overcast most of the time but no rain during games. Was quite impressed with California. Had a lot of time to see SF area.

Scott Garner
04-26-2012, 03:28 PM
On October 8th, 2006 a close friend of mine, Joe DeMattio, attended an evening dinner event in NYC that celebrated the 50th anniversary of Dan Larsen's World Series perfect game in 1956. Many perfect game pitcher alumni were in attendance at this event.

Perfect game pitcher Tom Browning sat at Joe's table. The thoughtful guy that he was, Joe had "Mr. Perfect" sign and personalize his program for the evening to me knowing that I am a big no-hit and perfect game collector.
Over the last few years I've managed to run down the autographs of several of the pitchers that were in attendance that night with a special assist from net54's own Randall Hahn. ;)

Anyway, I lack only Sandy Koufax, Kenny Rogers and Randy Johnson to have this project completed. They would have been the only other two living members of this group, although I'm quite sure that The Gambler was not in attendance as he was chasing down a World Series berth in 2006 with the Detroit Tigers, FWIW.
I think it makes for a great signed piece of the perfect game club. :D

It has special meaning to me because every time I look at it I remember my friend Joe and all the great conversations that we had about the hobby and collecting tickets through the years. Joe had the best collection of tickets to Mickey Mantle HR games going and he was an expert in the area of game used baseball and basketball uniforms. RIP Joe. You're missed...

Mr. Zipper
04-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Great piece, Scott. Love it. :)

Is the Gambler adverse to autographs? A review of ebay shows very little material for a modern player.

Scott Garner
04-26-2012, 04:48 PM

Is the Gambler adverse to autographs? A review of ebay shows very little material for a modern player.

Hi Steve,
Out of the living members of the perfect game club, Kenny Rogers and Sandy Koufax are by far the toughest to get. Both do not participate in many autograph signings these days. I believe that the last time Kenny Rogers did a mass public signing was perhaps 8-10 years ago and at that time his signing fee was approx. $120.00. :eek: At one time, earlier in his career, Rogers was a pretty good signer in person.

Kenny Rogers is friends with pitcher Kevin Brown and sometimes attends a charity fund raiser that Brown hosts that's held at the Bass Pro down in Macon, GA. It isn't widely advertised, but Kenny Rogers and Kevin Brown (another non-signer) will sign for a reasonable donation, say $25.

I hope this helps!

Exhibitman
04-29-2012, 08:27 AM
I was in school in San Francisco at the time. A friend and I took the train over to Oakland on a lark to see if we could get into the A's game. With McGwire and Canseco and the rest of that team it was a very hot ticket. It was sold out and the scalpers wanted $20 or more a ticket for crappy seats. We figured why pay big [for a student] bucks for a lousy regular season game from the bleachers so we got back on the train and went bar-hopping in Berkeley instead. Later that night I saw the highlights and was sick--Ryan pitched a no-no. Closest I've ever gotten to being at one.

RichardSimon
04-29-2012, 08:57 AM

That man will live in infamy for every Mets fan, it is even hard for us to say his name.

Mr. Zipper
04-29-2012, 12:08 PM
That man will live in infamy for every Mets fan, it is even hard for us to say his name.

He pretty much spit the bit every time the Yankees needed him for a big game. Definitely a guy who wilted under pressure in NY.

Scott Garner
11-18-2012, 07:44 AM
I recently received my perfect game tickets from Matt Cain's and "King Felix" Hernandez back from paid signings out on the left coast.

Still waiting for the opportunity to get perfect game pitcher Philip Humber, but haven't got him yet...

carbonrosa
03-19-2013, 10:44 AM
Anyone here willing to sell there perfect game tickets?
Need:
Dallas Braden 5/9/10 (Season Ticket)
David Cone 7/18/99 (Season Ticket)
Mike Witt 9/30/84
Len Barker 5/15/81
Catfish Hunter 5/8/68
Sandy Koufax 9/9/65
Don Larsen 10/8/56
Charlie Robertson 4/30/22

Scott Garner
04-05-2013, 11:27 AM
What can I say? Philip Humber is another giver. :rolleyes:

Here is his autograph (chicken scratch) on a full, unused season ticket to his perfect game on 4/21/12 at Seattle.

Oh well, it's another one off the list...