PDA

View Full Version : Checks

39special
04-22-2012, 11:54 AM
I bought a Harry Hooper check from a member a few weeks ago,and was wondering were do they come from.Does the family release them?

gnaz01
04-22-2012, 11:57 AM
I bought a Harry Hooper check from a member a few weeks ago,and was wondering were do they come from.Does the family release them?

Don't know, but I bought one too, pretty cool!

RichardSimon
04-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Many times the wives of players would receive requests from collectors after the player died. The wives would then send out a check. Ty Cobb's wife sent out checks as a fund raising tool when she wanted to build the Ty Cobb Museum.
One interesting footnote which some are probably aware of, Mel Ott signed his checks Melvin Ott. When his wife received requests after his death she would cut the signature from his checks and then cut out the vin. She would then tape the Mel to the Ott, thus creating a Mel Ott autograph.

39special
04-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Many times the wives of players would receive requests from collectors after the player died. The wives would then send out a check. Ty Cobb's wife sent out checks as a fund raising tool when she wanted to build the Ty Cobb Museum.
One interesting footnote which some are probably aware of, Mel Ott signed his checks Melvin Ott. When his wife received requests after his death she would cut the signature from his checks and then cut out the vin. She would then tape the Mel to the Ott, thus creating a Mel Ott autograph.

Thanks Richard!!

Mr. Zipper
04-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Sad to think signed checks have gone the way of the dodo for any contemporary players (or any celebrity for that matter.)