PDA

View Full Version : This is getting tiresome, Maybe it's just me? Another trimmed Plank?

danmckee
04-17-2012, 01:37 PM
http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=21869

Ok, My post about the Goodwin Plank has only helped the value so why not help Rob out a bit?

I am seriously starting wonder if maybe it is just me, but man I would bet my miserable life that the bottom of this Plank is hacked!

Look at the front bottom left corner, it looks like a roofing knife! One of those hook knives!

When you look at the back picture, the right edge is perfectly in line with the right plastic wall inside the slab, yet the bottom looks like a ski slope.

I don't know, maybe I am losing it. But maybe one other person will see what I am seeing so I know I am not crazy?

thanks

Leon
04-17-2012, 02:25 PM
As I said before Dan....I dunno on this one (the other thread is obvious but Rob's description set them straight). If you look at the back of this card the bottom left is tilted up a bit and it looks like the top could correspond to it. I could be wrong.

And someone had mentioned in a previous thread about the bottom of a 1914 CJ, and I rebutted that '14s are paper thin, and that being the case, I bet it was a curvature to the card. Rob emailed me and said that was exactly correct.

ullmandds
04-17-2012, 02:26 PM
I don't know...these days it seems any card in a PSA holder looks trimmed to me...I think a large % are..I try to avoid them!

danmckee
04-17-2012, 02:28 PM
As I said before Dan....I dunno on this one (the other thread is obvious but Rob's description set them straight). If you look at the back of this card the bottom left is tilted up a bit and it looks like the top could correspond to it. I could be wrong.

And someone had mentioned in a previous thread about the bottom of a 1914 CJ, and I rebutted that '14s are paper thin, and that being the case, I bet it was a curvature to the card. Rob emailed me and said that was exactly correct.

I looked at the Cracker Jack Cobb, I don't see a trim job there. Like I said, I may just be losing my mind! :eek:

Peter_Spaeth
04-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Two dimensional scans of three dimensional cards can be deceptive when there is bowing.

atx840
04-17-2012, 02:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/8IjzZ.jpg

danmckee
04-17-2012, 02:53 PM
http://i.imgur.com/8IjzZ.jpg

Can you do this with the front bottom? thanks

danmckee
04-17-2012, 02:56 PM
I see some space on the bottom left between your line and the card. I don't see any on the bottom right and none anywhere on the top.

usernamealreadytaken
04-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Is that the ever elusive "Sweet Subjects" back?

e107collector
04-17-2012, 02:59 PM
I see some space on the bottom left between your line and the card. I don't see any on the bottom right and none anywhere on the top.

I agree with Dan. There seems to be some space on the bottom left corner.

Tony

travrosty
04-17-2012, 03:00 PM
In the description REA says the Mr. X designation was added to every T206 in the set, but T.J,. Schwartz said it was only applied to the Plank and Magie, so I wonder which is it?

atx840
04-17-2012, 03:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6PugC.jpg

HOF Auto Rookies
04-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Some pretty bad registration, pretty ugly card...

danmckee
04-17-2012, 03:10 PM

BINGO!!!

My eyes aren't failing

LOOK AT THE BOTTOM!

It touches your line at the far left but you can drive a tractor trailer in between your line and the bottom right!

Thank you kindly!

danmckee
04-17-2012, 03:11 PM
and the top has a straight cut unlike the bottom, no matching cuts top to bottom.

HOF Auto Rookies
04-17-2012, 03:23 PM
BINGO!!!

My eyes aren't failing

LOOK AT THE BOTTOM!

It touches your line at the far left but you can drive a tractor trailer in between your line and the bottom right!

Thank you kindly!

Dan you're pretty solid at this! Next time I buy some pre-war, I'm sending the image to you to take a peek at first :P

brass_rat
04-17-2012, 05:03 PM
I can definitely agree with that...just glancing at the card makes me dizzy...

I also agree with Dan that the bottom looks out of place...

Steve

Some pretty bad registration, pretty ugly card...

Pup6913
04-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Is it possible it's wear? I have a 205 missing the gold boarder completely but has wavy sides that I think is hand cut but others have said is wear. I will try and post later.

Runscott
04-17-2012, 06:55 PM
It's not the most beautiful Plank, but purely because of the way thin pieces of cardboard sit in these holders, I don't think you can tell if the bottom is trimmed, just by these scans.

danmckee
04-17-2012, 07:36 PM
It's not the most beautiful Plank, but purely because of the way thin pieces of cardboard sit in these holders, I don't think you can tell if the bottom is trimmed, just by these scans.

Ray Charles can see that this card is hacked Scott

I bet it will be pulled

danmckee
04-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Dan you're pretty solid at this! Next time I buy some pre-war, I'm sending the image to you to take a peek at first :P

43 years of collecting pre-war cards might just have paid off! Thanks.

danmckee
04-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Catalog arrived today, my 90 year old father called me over and said hey son, lot 218 looks trimmed at the bottom. I said yes dad, you are still doing good without glasses!

Rob D.
04-17-2012, 07:43 PM
I agree with Dan: This is getting tiresome.

Runscott
04-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Ray Charles can see that this card is hacked Scott

I bet it will be pulled

You got some sugar and I don't; I borrow some of yours. Next month you might not have any flour; well, I'll give you some of mine. Right now, just pretend like there's a little more cardboard on Eddie's bottom - next month he might have too much.

slidekellyslide
04-17-2012, 11:57 PM

Can you run a straight line along the bottom black line...that is almost certainly a straight line and it might help us tell if the card is bowed.

danmckee
04-18-2012, 06:30 AM
Looks like Rob and the consigner agreed to an addendum to the description of this card. Hey another victory for the small fry!

I would have liked to have seen the card pulled but will be happy with the acknowledgement that it looks like it could be trimmed.

Thanks Rob! I don't care what I say about you, you are ok sometimes.

Dan

Matt
04-18-2012, 06:42 AM
Can you run a straight line along the bottom black line...that is almost certainly a straight line and it might help us tell if the card is bowed.

Dan - that's a great point. It's possible (though unlikely) that the card warped a bit sideways and so the top wouldn't line up with the bottom horizontally, but a printed horizontal line at the bottom of the card should match the bottom edge in the same way the printed horizontal line at the top matches the top edge, even if the card was warped.

Runscott
04-18-2012, 06:45 AM
Congratulations, Dan.

Looks like they actually examined the card, so my theory was wrong:

"They may be correct. We can’t say with certainty that the card is trimmed, it may not be, but after careful examination, we do think this is a possibility."

ullmandds
04-18-2012, 06:57 AM
I'm retracting my bid...stat!!!!!!!

Leon
04-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Looks like Rob and the consigner agreed to an addendum to the description of this card. Hey another victory for the small fry!

I would have liked to have seen the card pulled but will be happy with the acknowledgement that it looks like it could be trimmed.

Thanks Rob! I don't care what I say about you, you are ok sometimes.

Dan

Nice job Dan.....and Kudo's to REA and the consignor too.

danmckee
04-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Someone somewhere asked me what I thought of the Doyle card in REA? I saw that post before the site took a crap on me and I can't find it now so I am answering here.

I looked the magnificent Doyle card over and it looks fine to me.

My vote is not trimmed.

Dan

sports-rings
04-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Dan,

great job by you and the auction house.

had this been another auction who I won't name, they would have just banned you from future auctions!

danmckee
04-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Man I wish more of them would do that! I would save a fortune if I was banned by every auction house I attack!