PDA

View Full Version : Some ebay sellers just make no sense at all.....

CMIZ5290
04-12-2012, 08:17 AM
There has been a psa 5 t206 cobb (green) on ebay since moby dick was a minnow. This is the one we discussed months ago that has severe paper loss on the back, and how in the world PSA could have missed it. He first started his auctions with a minimum bid of $5500 several times with no bids. So what does he do then? He runs them several times with a minimum bid of $6500 and no takers. Just looked on ebay today, and now he has it with a starting bid of $7300! I just don't get it.....

Leon
04-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Well, it's $7350 but who's counting? :) ....It's the age old strategy of if something doesn't sell, raise the price and see what happens!! (It is, however, a nice looking Cobby)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-T206-TY-COBB-GREEN-PORTRAIT-Psa-5-/330716445361?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item4d003c7ab1#ht_500wt_1344

zljones
04-12-2012, 08:47 AM
I wonder if there is actually proof out there that marking an item up makes it actually sell. These sellers must be using that strategy, I would like to know what they are basing that on. What sales are they looking at? I do not see how this can work. Sometimes I think about getting an expensive BIN (never happened yet), but when I see them mark it up after while, my personal pride will not let me make the purchase.
I could see a strategy in marking something up, up, up then after awhile bringing it back down to the original price, then someone that was watching can come back and jump on that price before it goes away again. But these guys do not lower it back down they just raise it and leave it there, with no accepting offers option.:confused:

t206blogcom
04-12-2012, 09:30 AM
These sellers start by putting their ridiculously high priced BINs on sale, which unfortunately keeps the price ridiculously high even with a 20% discount. And when the card doesn't sell at the discounted price, it confuses the sellers. They must be thinking, perhaps nobody is buying this because the price sounds too good to be true - what's wrong with the card and why is the seller letting it go for so cheap. So in return, they come up with yet another brilliant idea to raise the price even more thinking it'll sell.

I say to these sellers, good luck, but you might want to a) buy a sales/marketing 101 book and b) you might want to determine the market price if you actually want to sell something.

zljones
04-12-2012, 11:26 AM
I just love it how in their "ME" page or in the item discription they say they have been selling cards for years. You would think after years of experience one would understand the market a little better. I do not sympathize if they paid too much for their items when they bought them to sell. Do not buy high then sell high.
In my everday quest for the 1938 Goudey Bobby Doerr with cartoons, I have only one choice on the whole internet and that is a PSA 4 on ebay for $355. I refuse to pay that kind of money for that when it's worth $150-$200! No one else wants to pay that either, especially since it's been for sale for over 1 year! Ebay should review listings like this that have been stagnant and are obviously overpriced, because it causes the consumer to block out BIN during their searches which can cause others sellers to loose money that have fairer BINs that get overlooked.

Runscott
04-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Not all ebay card buyers are as educated as you guys. Even when I price BIN's at exact market value, there are people who will offer me 2/3 of my price. They do not know what the card is worth, but they assume that all BIN's are priced half again above card value.

Given the above, if a seller raises the price, the '1/3 off' offer he gets from an uneducated buyer who really wants the card, may end up being close to market value.

Bigb13
04-12-2012, 05:03 PM
It is now at 8500

buymycards
04-12-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm waiting until it gets to $9500 before I buy it.

Rick

CMIZ5290
04-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Why doesn't the guy just take his medicine and move on? This card was obviously switched out of holders, no way psa missed this.... I also noticed that he does not have the zoom feature for the back scan, only the front!