PDA

View Full Version : 1952 George Shuba why higher value?

Brianruns10
04-07-2012, 10:08 AM
The 52 Topps Shuba card has perplexed me. His values are far higher than most of the "common" high numbers cards from the set. I've watched examples on ebay go for amounts even higher than SMR. Why is this? The population reports suggest his card is about as plentiful as most others. He doesn't have an especially long career. It's his rookie card, but other rookies like the Brodowski don't fetch nearly what his does in higher grades.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but any idea why the Shuba card is so prized?

toppcat
04-07-2012, 10:41 AM
The 52 Topps Shuba card has perplexed me. His values are far higher than most of the "common" high numbers cards from the set. I've watched examples on ebay go for amounts even higher than SMR. Why is this? The population reports suggest his card is about as plentiful as most others. He doesn't have an especially long career. It's his rookie card, but other rookies like the Brodowski don't fetch nearly what his does in higher grades.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but any idea why the Shuba card is so prized?

Two reasons: He was one of the subjects in The Boys of Summer and it is a very hard card to find centered, even for a 52 high. I think when you have centering issues there is a trickle down effect to the lower grades price-wise.

I just bought one actually and paid $160 for a well centered PSA 3. Hard to say if that's high for the grade but I was happy to get that one crossed off the list.

Republicaninmass
04-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Also, for the ttm'ers he was a good signer...until recently it appears he is no longer signing as of last week :(

GoldenAge50s
04-11-2012, 09:19 PM
MAIN reason:

High number Brooklyn Dodger---being an RC w/ a great nickname helps a bit too!

Same holds true for Yankee cards.