PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Matthews Signature

EMT911inWI
04-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Hi all - If anyone with some experience in the old Milwaukee Braves signatures please take a look at this and give me some input it would be greatly appreciated. I'm interested in this ball but I have some reservations on the validity of the signature.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eddie-Mathews-Signed-Baseball-4-Boston-Milwaukee-Atlanta-Braves-Astros-w-COA-/120888362765?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2582070d

Thanks!

EMT911inWI - Jeff

bender07
04-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm no expert but it looks good to me. What are your reservations? Mathews certainly isn't a typical forger target.

GrayGhost
04-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Its fine IMO

thetruthisoutthere
04-04-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm no expert but it looks good to me. What are your reservations? Mathews certainly isn't a typical forger target.

With all due respect, I disagree. All athletes, entertainers, etc., whether they are a bench warmer, back-up, character actor, etc., are forger targets. There are plenty of Ebay sellers who stay under the radar by listing & selling the aforementioned type forgeries.

There was a seller on Ebay who always had over 1,000 signed baseball, basketball, football, and hockey cards on Ebay on a weekly basis. Every one of them a forgery and selling between $5.00 and $20.00 each. They sold approximately 50 every week, and that was only one seller. There are hundreds of sellers like that on Ebay, maybe more.

mr2686
04-04-2012, 04:19 PM
A few years ago I might have disagreed with Chris. It just doesn't seem to make any sense to spend the time to forge some little know/remembered player that would only bring $10 or $15 dollars, but now I'm seeing more and more of the strangest players being forged. You really need to be on your toes at all times in this hobby.
With that said, I do believe that Mathews is good, and also, I have had several dealings with that seller and he has always been top notch.
Here's a Mathews that I got in person back around 1990 or 91.

7nohitter
04-04-2012, 04:59 PM
it's good!

travrosty
04-04-2012, 08:15 PM
With all due respect, I disagree. All athletes, entertainers, etc., whether they are a bench warmer, back-up, character actor, etc., are forger targets. There are plenty of Ebay sellers who stay under the radar by listing & selling the aforementioned type forgeries.

There was a seller on Ebay who always had over 1,000 signed baseball, basketball, football, and hockey cards on Ebay on a weekly basis. Every one of them a forgery and selling between $5.00 and $20.00 each. They sold approximately 50 every week, and that was only one seller. There are hundreds of sellers like that on Ebay, maybe more.

I disagree with your disagreement. He said not a typical forger target, and he is right, It doesn't mean it is never forged. He didn't just say forger targets, as you noted all athletes are, to some degree or another.

Well, that's true, but he said typical, which means average, normal, usual.

That's why he put the word typical in there, to distinguish it from just any forged autograph, especially ones that aren't forged as often, like Mathews. I don't know if you have ever posted a Mathews single signed ball fake on your posts here or on your videos, you may have, but it would have maybe just been one or two, (not counting 500 homerun balls) when we know how many single signed Mantle, Williams, Dimaggios have been posted. Those are typical forger targets.

Just as Max Schmeling is not a typical forger target in boxing. Has anyone ever tried to forge Max Schmeling? yes, but not often.

Muhammad Ali is a typical forger target.

Typical forger targets in baseball, Dimaggio, Williams, Mantle, Maris, and Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig, etc. Not Eddie Mathews just as it is not Bob Feller or Al Kaline.

EMT911inWI
04-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Well as always I do appreciate the feedback everyone! I'm always a little apprehensive with buying signed items off of Ebay, so better safe than sorry I ask here. I was able to compare it to a few other signed Matthews items I have and it didn't quite match up 100%. Thought, I'd get a second opinion from ya'll. I'm sure it's just me being to critical of the piece.

Thanks!!

Jeff

Fuddjcal
04-05-2012, 08:51 AM
I disagree with your disagreement. He said not a typical forger target, and he is right, It doesn't mean it is never forged. He didn't just say forger targets, as you noted all athletes are, to some degree or another.

Well, that's true, but he said typical, which means average, normal, usual.

That's why he put the word typical in there, to distinguish it from just any forged autograph, especially ones that aren't forged as often, like Mathews. I don't know if you have ever posted a Mathews single signed ball fake on your posts here or on your videos, you may have, but it would have maybe just been one or two, (not counting 500 homerun balls) when we know how many single signed Mantle, Williams, Dimaggios have been posted. Those are typical forger targets.

Just as Max Schmeling is not a typical forger target in boxing. Has anyone ever tried to forge Max Schmeling? yes, but not often.

Muhammad Ali is a typical forger target.

Typical forger targets in baseball, Dimaggio, Williams, Mantle, Maris, and Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig, etc. Not Eddie Mathews just as it is not Bob Feller or Al Kaline.

and speaking of Ali...did you or anyone catch him last night at the Opening Night of The Miami-Cards Baseball Game???

Wow, he is slipping fast. I haven't seen him in public in quite a while and now I know why. I almost started to cry.:(

The Matthews compares favorably to the 2 that I have that have been certed by PSA for what-ever that's worth.

MilBraves
04-05-2012, 12:18 PM
The sig looks good to me. If it is a forgery, whoever spent the time learning how to forge his signature that well should have spent their time and effort into forging Mantle's instead.

travrosty
04-05-2012, 12:36 PM
The sig looks good to me. If it is a forgery, whoever spent the time learning how to forge his signature that well should have spent their time and effort into forging Mantle's instead.

True, that's why its not a typical forgers target. they try to work smarter, not harder.

EMT911inWI
04-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks again everyone. I was able to land the ball for a very good price. $41.00 I'm very happy with that. Thanks again for the input!

mr2686
04-10-2012, 11:31 AM
$41 for a legit deceased 500 homerun hitter is outstanding. Mathews is so underated by the collecting community.

7nohitter
04-10-2012, 03:44 PM
$41 for a legit deceased 500 homerun hitter is outstanding. Mathews is so underated by the collecting community.

+1