PDA

View Full Version : Penny sleeves brand info needed........

theseeker
03-31-2012, 06:45 AM
For the first time in many years I found the need to purchase penny sleeves. I bought a boatload of Ultra Pro sleeves, assuming they were the best quality.
I've found penny sleeves to came in two types:
One very soft, clear and NONE SLIPPERY, the other type is kind of tin foily in texture, not as clear (much heavier horizontal lines from the manufacturing process) and VERY SLIPPERY-- handle a stack of cards with this type of penny sleeves and the middle section is likely to come flying out.

I greatly prefer the former of the two types described above. As it turns out, to my dismay, the Ultra Pros I purchased are of the latter variety.

Now the questions:
1) Is there more than one type (quality) of Ultra Pro penny sleeve? I've run across two different covers, but the descriptions are identical.

2) Are the softer, less slippery type I strongly prefer made by BCW? If so, I'm more than a bit surprised, as it seems Ultra Pro has the reputation for being the top brand. And I do find Ultra Pro's 9 page top loaders far superior to BCW's.

3) What about the less prominent Cardboard Gold Brand?

Before I press the "add to my cart" button again, how about some brand previews, stated preferences, ect.

Exhibitman
04-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Sounds like the former is polyethylene and the latter polypropylene.

4k6
04-01-2012, 02:19 PM
There are two different varieties of Ultra-Pro penny sleeves that I know of:

The first and better of the two are the "Platinum series Premium Card Sleeves" - black background cover, says Heaviest Gauge Poly and Crystal Clear.

The second are the "Sleeve series Card Sleeves" - black & blue background cover, says Clear Polypropylene and Ultra Clear.

I can't feel any difference in "slipperyness" but the second variety are definitely foggier than the "Platinum" variety.

As for vintage (1952-1956) Ultra-Pro sleeves, they only seem to make one kind that's unfortunately of the foggier variety. Cover says Clear Polypropylene, which would support what Exhibitman says.