PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Collins USMC - Any pictures of him in uniform

Tao_Moko
03-25-2012, 07:19 PM
As a Marine I am proud of the great players who also served in the Corps. Most notably:

Eddie Collins
Ted Williams
Rod Carew
Roberto Clemente
Tom Seaver
Gil Hodges
Hank Bauer
Tug McGraw
Dusty Baker

If anyone has a picture of Collins in uniform I would love to see a picture.

Thanks,

Eric

steve B
03-26-2012, 06:42 AM
That's quite a list! I knew about Williams of course, but not the others.

Thanks for posting it.

Steve B

Exhibitman
03-26-2012, 06:48 AM
No Collins but here's another famous Marine, Barney Ross:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/boxingphotographsandephemera/large/Photo%20Leonard_%20Ross_%20Canzoneri_%20McLarnin.j pg

Ross, a 3-division ex-champ born in 1909, joined the Marines when WWII broke out, and asked to transfer from a training position in San Diego to active combat He was awarded America's third highest military honor, the Silver Star with a Presidential Citation, for heroism on Guadalcanal. One night, he was one of four wounded Marines surrounded by enemy forces. Ross, who was the only one able to fight, held their position and single-handedly killed nearly two dozen Japanese soldiers over a hellish night of battle, praying in Hebrew as he went. He then carried a fellow Marine to safety who outweighed him by about 90 pounds.

Tao_Moko
03-26-2012, 04:07 PM
No Collins but here's another famous Marine, Barney Ross:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/boxingphotographsandephemera/large/Photo%20Leonard_%20Ross_%20Canzoneri_%20McLarnin.j pg

Ross, a 3-division ex-champ born in 1909, joined the Marines when WWII broke out, and asked to transfer from a training position in San Diego to active combat He was awarded America's third highest military honor, the Silver Star with a Presidential Citation, for heroism on Guadalcanal. One night, he was one of four wounded Marines surrounded by enemy forces. Ross, who was the only one able to fight, held their position and single-handedly killed nearly two dozen Japanese soldiers over a hellish night of battle, praying in Hebrew as he went. He then carried a fellow Marine to safety who outweighed him by about 90 pounds.

OORAH!!! Thanks for the image. Semper Fi

HTBB
03-27-2012, 08:18 AM
I think I may have posted this before. Dated AUG 26 1918 on the back.

sbfinley
03-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Somewhere I have a baseball book that has a crisp copy of the last picture in it. I'll see if I can't find it later.

Tao_Moko
03-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Eddie wearing a Campaign Cover. Nice! He looks like he was on the Parris Island diet of chicken and rice. Needed a few cheeseburgers.