PDA

View Full Version : Bert Randolph Sugar- RIP (1937-2012) - Sports Collectors Bible

Leon
03-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Bert Sugar passed away today. He was best known for his boxing writings and was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2005. He also put out a formidable competitor, or at minimum an add on, to the American Card Catalog; The Sports Collectors Bible, Volumes 1-4.

RIP Bert..

http://news.yahoo.com/boxing-writer-bert-sugar-dies-cardiac-arrest-233518737--boxing.html

Joe_G.
03-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Very sad indeed, RIP Bert. A colorful individual for sure, all the way to the end. I very much enjoyed Old Cardboard issue #23 which featured Bert on the cover and within its pages.

bobw
03-25-2012, 08:19 PM
He was always an entertaining interview on radio or TV

FrankWakefield
03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
He was a good fellow, and had a passion for the cards. I wish his family well.

ethicsprof
03-25-2012, 09:06 PM
very sad news.
a key figure in this great hobby of ours.
the image of him and the cigar comes to mind as I write.
my deepest sympathy to family and friends,
Barry

Tom Hufford
03-25-2012, 10:27 PM
One of the more enjoyable evenings I ever spent at a ballpark was with Bert in the upper deck at Veterans Stadium in Philly, in the mid 1970s.

In his teens, growing up in Washington DC, Bert was an avid baseball autograph collector, writing to many turn of the century players. I now have a number of letters these players wrote to Bert in my own collection. His interests later turned to boxing, where he made a name for himself.

I never saw Bert without his trademark cigar, and as much as I hate to say it, when I saw that he died I said to myself "I'll bet it was lung cancer." Sorry to say, I was correct.

Rest in peace, Bert

sox1903wschamp
03-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Part of my collecting library. RIP

Exhibitman
03-26-2012, 06:45 AM
Great character and generous with fans too, he will be missed. 1991 Kayo 'rookie' card, signed:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous3/Sugar.jpg

Gary Dunaier
03-28-2012, 08:03 AM
Sugar also edited one of my favorite books, Souvenir Programs of Five Great World Series (Dover, 1980). It reprints five World Series programs (1914, 1917, 1919, 1926, 1934) along with commentary on each Series. Perhaps the most notable inclusions are the 1919 Reds program (taken from an Opie reprint), and the 1926 Cardinals program (which is the only one of the five programs that are NOT available as reprints in the Opie collection; Opie reprinted the Yankees program from that Series).

As I write this, used copies are available on Amazon for as little as $4.72 plus shipping. Great book if you're into World Series programs but don't like having to worry about handling expensive, fragile originals.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51vbiQjdYgL._SL500_.jpg

bh3443
03-28-2012, 03:07 PM
What sad news.
I will never forget what a wonderful gentleman he was.
The Sports Collectors Bible holds special meaning to me, as he asked my close friend Bob Thing to author the part on post cards.
My 2 favorite and colorful boxing personalities were Mr. Sugar and local guy Mr. George Boulanger of The World Boxing Record Bureau of the 60's/70's.
RIP to these pioneers.
Bill Hedin
Framingham, MA 01701
PS: At one point George Boulanger of Framingham, MA was in the Giness World Book of Records for running for public office the most times and not winning!

hank_jp
03-28-2012, 04:31 PM
How sad it was to read that this colorful character is no longer with us.
Each year, when I attended the finals of the Golden Gloves in NYC [it will be this Friday 3/30] it was always a delight to see Bert Sugar, hat on head, cigar in mouth, joyfully meeting and greeting all who approached him.
He was one of those men who lit up a room and made you feel good just being around him.
RIP Bert.

D. Bergin
03-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Great character and generous with fans too, he will be missed. 1991 Kayo 'rookie' card, signed:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous3/Sugar.jpg

Yup! Saw him every year at the Boxing hall of fame. Whatever you think about his "writing", he was a helluva ambassador for the sport.

Never seen somebody so excited to be around Boxers and Boxing fans.

"Charisma" is the first word that comes to mind.