PDA

View Full Version : A Walter Johnson question...

GKreindler
03-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Hey all,

So I've been working on this image of Walter Johnson, and I'm having a little problem.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/WalterJohnson1914.jpg

As per usual, I'm striving for as much historical accuracy as possible, and as per usual, have run into a snag. And here, the problem is in the eyes.

The 1933 version of Who's Who in Baseball mentions that Walter had brown eyes. Hank Thomas' book about his grandfather (which is awesome, by the way) says that they were blue. Looking at almost every photo of him would lead me to believe that his eyes were definitely light, but color-wise, I can't tell. My heart says blue, but I almost feel like since the Who's Who culls from his managerial days (and while he was still alive), I can't dismiss it that easily.

Does anyone have any incite to this random factoid?

Thanks all!

Graig

frankbmd
03-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Don't know, but found this photo. Hope it helps

tjb1952tjb
03-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Info. at the attached link states he had blue eyes. Also, the attached photos seem to show light colored eyes, i.e. blue.

http://www.cmgww.com/baseball/johnson/facts.htm

Scott Garner
03-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Graig,
That's a terrific question! Every photo we have is B/W, which obviously makes this tough.

Hank's info has to be the most definitive since he is kin, but here are a few closeups to look at, FWIW.

You be the judge... ;)

GKreindler
03-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks a lot for the help, guys. I think I'm sticking with the blue...unless of course I hear a VERY convincing argument otherwise.

Graig

thecatspajamas
03-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Thought I was going to be able to help you out with George Brace's interpretation of his eye color in the Bra-Mac photo below, but I'll be darned if it doesn't look to me like he left his eyes grey!

GKreindler
03-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Damn you, Brace!!! But thank you, Lance.

:)

Graig

Scott Garner
03-22-2012, 05:27 AM
Thanks a lot for the help, guys. I think I'm sticking with the blue...unless of course I hear a VERY convincing argument otherwise.

Graig

Hey Graig,

With all the talk about eye color, I failed to let you know that I love the Walter painting.

As usual, he looks so real you get the feeling that he could step right out of the painting and casually buzz his # 1 past you before you could dig into the batters box. It's funny, but every time I look at a photo of WaJo I sense his calm, cool external demeaner with undeniable inner strength... Your portrait of Walter strikes me in exactly the same way.

BTW, the greatest quote that I ever read on Walter Johnson's incredible fastball came from Ty Cobb's book with Al Stump entitled "My Life in Baseball- The True Record".

"The first time I faced him, I watched him take that easy windup- and then something went past me that made me flinch. I hardly saw the pitch, but I heard it. The thing just hissed with danger. Every one of us knew we'd met the most powerful arm ever turned loose in a ballpark." -Ty Cobb

GKreindler
03-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Thanks a lot, Scott.

Ken Burns has that same quote in his baseball documentary, and it's just perfect. I think Wikipedia has it in its entirety:

"On August 2, 1907, I encountered the most threatening sight I ever saw in the ball field. He was a rookie, and we licked our lips as we warmed up for the first game of a doubleheader in Washington. Evidently, manager Pongo Joe Cantillon of the Nats had picked a rube out of the cornfields of the deepest bushes to pitch against us. He was a tall, shambling galoot of about twenty, with arms so long they hung far out of his sleeves, and with a sidearm delivery that looked unimpressive at first glance. One of the Tigers imitated a cow mooing, and we hollered at Cantillon: 'Get the pitchfork ready, Joe - your hayseed's on his way back to the barn.'

The first time I faced him, I watched him take that easy windup. And then something went past me that made me flinch. The thing just hissed with danger. We couldn't touch him. Every one of us knew we'd met the most powerful arm ever turned loose in a ball park."

Yikes.

Either way, I can't even imagine what it must have been like to face him. Especially as a righthanded batter with his sidearm pitching...I'd go down at least four times an at bat for sure.

And yet, like Cobb said, he just looks like a kind and gentle man...

Graig

Scott Garner
03-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks a lot, Scott.

Ken Burns has that same quote in his baseball documentary, and it's just perfect. I think Wikipedia has it in its entirety:

"On August 2, 1907, I encountered the most threatening sight I ever saw in the ball field. He was a rookie, and we licked our lips as we warmed up for the first game of a doubleheader in Washington. Evidently, manager Pongo Joe Cantillon of the Nats had picked a rube out of the cornfields of the deepest bushes to pitch against us. He was a tall, shambling galoot of about twenty, with arms so long they hung far out of his sleeves, and with a sidearm delivery that looked unimpressive at first glance. One of the Tigers imitated a cow mooing, and we hollered at Cantillon: 'Get the pitchfork ready, Joe - your hayseed's on his way back to the barn.'

The first time I faced him, I watched him take that easy windup. And then something went past me that made me flinch. The thing just hissed with danger. We couldn't touch him. Every one of us knew we'd met the most powerful arm ever turned loose in a ball park."

Yikes.

Either way, I can't even imagine what it must have been like to face him. Especially as a righthanded batter with his sidearm pitching...I'd go down at least four times an at bat for sure.

And yet, like Cobb said, he just looks like a kind and gentle man...

Graig

Hey Graig,
Thanks for the quote in its entirety. I wish I had the opportunity to watch Walter Johnson, Smokey Joe Wood, Cy Young and Matty pitch in their prime just to see them in action. How cool would that be?

I believe I've read that Cobb and others have mentioned that Walter didn't particularly like to pitch inside and risk injuring a player. Cobb used that to his advantage later in his career and he had some improved hitting success against Johnson. Early on in his career Walter definitely held his own against Cobber. Cobb was the first to admit that Walter won his fair share of battles...

travrosty
03-22-2012, 12:21 PM
maybe he had one blue and one brown, it's not impossible. but then again, odds are against.

Hankphenom
03-22-2012, 04:19 PM
I just got off the phone with Mom, and she says they were blue, but a light blue. Great eyes, she reports. In some photos they have a translucent look to them.

Hankphenom
03-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Incidentally, I have never seen a color photo or color film of Walter, even though they had been around a while by the time he died in 1946.

GKreindler
03-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Hank,

Thanks for checking with your mother - that was quite decent of you. I think it's fair to say that I'm a lot more confident in my decision now.

You're the best!

Graig

tjb1952tjb
03-23-2012, 01:28 AM
Probably accurate............

Jay Wolt
03-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Graig I have nothing to add about Johnson's eye color. Just want to say your painting of him is fantastic.
Great job!

Bicem
03-23-2012, 01:37 PM
I just got off the phone with Mom, and she says they were blue, but a light blue. Great eyes, she reports. In some photos they have a translucent look to them.

If that's not definitive proof then I don't know what is!

Thanks Hank!

Rob L
03-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Hey all,

So I've been working on this image of Walter Johnson, and I'm having a little problem.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/WalterJohnson1914.jpg

As per usual, I'm striving for as much historical accuracy as possible, and as per usual, have run into a snag. And here, the problem is in the eyes.

The 1933 version of Who's Who in Baseball mentions that Walter had brown eyes. Hank Thomas' book about his grandfather (which is awesome, by the way) says that they were blue. Looking at almost every photo of him would lead me to believe that his eyes were definitely light, but color-wise, I can't tell. My heart says blue, but I almost feel like since the Who's Who culls from his managerial days (and while he was still alive), I can't dismiss it that easily.

Does anyone have any incite to this random factoid?

Thanks all!

Graig

Graig, your painting is stunning!!!