PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi or Coke?

frankbmd
03-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Disc cards from the late 70s come with a variety advertising (Isaly, etc).

One brand was the promotional Pepsi Glove that were marketed in 6 packs of bottled Pepsi on a regional basis.

I don't see these very often. My set has the discs still in the glove. Are these more valuable than the discs alone???

I've had these for over 20 years, but have never found out much about them.

I am not aware of any Coke Gloves.:D

Blackie
03-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Very Cool!!!

71buc
03-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Hi Frank,
I have that set as well. The previous year I remember that they had football shaped cards in the same format. I really enjoy many of the oddball issues emanating from the 1970s. I must be in the minority as they all remain very affordable. I think that they should be more valuable with the advertising boarders. This would be similar to the Hires root beer set (although significantly less valuable) cards with tabs go for 2-3X as those without them. However, that is not the case with these. You can buy the entire set of 70 in it's original state for $25-$30. However graded examples achieving a ten sell for $10-$25 each depending on the player. The only Pepsi discs I have seen graded were separated from the advertising. How a disc can grade a ten when it is no longer in it's original state is beyond me. An even better question would be why spend more on the grading of one of these when the slabbing fee exceeds the value of the item being entombed? Perhaps if people continue destroying them by punching them out for submission to TPGs intact sets will eventually become more valuable. However, I doubt that you or I will live long enough to see that happen.

frankbmd
03-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks Mike. Just checked Ebay sales for the last month and two 72 card sets with gloves sold for $68.88 and $49.00. Maybe I will be able to see a return on my investment after all. Can't remember what I paid for mine, but it was not much ($5-$10).

David W
03-21-2012, 02:17 PM
For some reason Lou Brock did not make the 77 Pepsi discs, he was in all the other ones.

Squirt a few years later (81 and 82) also had cards. The 82's are readily available on ebay, here is a scan lifted from ebay of some.

AustinMike
03-23-2012, 07:19 PM
I also bought the complete set many years ago. In fact, my set came with four versions of the Mike Schmidt card and four versions of the Reggie Jackson card. The difference in the versions is the color outside the seams on the "baseball." The Schmidt and Jackson cards are found in four different colors. According to the SCD, they are the only cards that come in the color variations.

Mike