PDA

View Full Version : Rare Pinback Type/Set???

mjkm90
03-19-2012, 03:43 PM
I just acquired this pinback via ebay and am a bit baffled. I have never seen, heard of, or read about another pin like this. It's similar to the crossed bats set we are all aware of, but with several unique design elements. Has anyone here seen another like this of the Tigers or any other team? Needless to say, I am excited to have added a new pin type to my collection, but as a Tigers collector I am particularly thrilled :D

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/mjkm90/03-19-2012053517PM.jpg

MK
03-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Mike,
Paul answered this for me a year ago when I acquired the Cubs version of this pin. According to him it was issued in 1961 by a company in MN and was to celebrate the Twins arrival into MLB. He noted the logos are somewhat oddball on many. I have seen the Cubs, Tigers, Senators, White Sox, Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies and Dodgers. They are very hard to locate.

springpin
03-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Mike (K),

I couldn't have said it better myself. To me the oddest of these odd logos is for the Senators. It looks like a butler wearing a high hat. Not quite sure what the graphic depiction of a senator would be, but I never saw one wearing a high hat. At the least it sure doesn't look like a baseball logo.

Paul

mjkm90
03-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Outstanding work gentlemen. Mike...lets see that Cubs pin.

batsballsbases
03-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Mike,
This set is a bit hard to find and does come in 2 back versions. 1 like the one you have with the regular stick pin and 1 with the Bayonette type pin back. Its the bayonette type that gave me the clue years ago as on the lip of the curl and parts of it are very hard to read but it says Midwest Badge 5 Nov. 60 Inc.
MPLS.10 Minn. The stick pin ones dont have the company name on the curl . At least the ones I have seen. Nice pick-up and a nice pin . I know I have more some where but here are 2 I have handy. Al

MK
03-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Mike,
Here's the Cubs version.