PDA

View Full Version : Tough cards in challenging sets

jefferyepayne
03-19-2012, 04:55 AM
Hi all,

In another thread there was a discussion of challenging sets to complete due to one or more very tough cards to acquire within the set. Which cards in which sets do you consider to be the toughest to acquire?

Some of the challenging sets mentioned were:
'30 Wheaties (with full borders)
'59 Bazooka
'50 Bread for Health
'26 Shotwell Ad Backs
'69 Eskimo Pie
'60 Brand Bell Rams
'33 Diamond Matchbooks
'56 Shredded Wheat CFL

Of course you can't compile a list of tough cards in challenging sets without mentioning the Anonymous/Dunlop card in the 1894 Mayo set.

jeff

skelly
03-20-2012, 08:19 PM
I'll put in my 2 cents on the 59 Bazooka Set. I really love this set, please feel free to disagree, agree, or make any additional comments concerning this set.

Tough Cards-
Tom Tracy- Almost never seen. In my opinion this is by far the toughest card in the set.

Lou Groza- I do see this card every once in a blue moon, but I certainly think its a tough one

Joe Perry- I've been collecting this set for over 5 years, and I've NEVER seen the Perry except as part of the complete set.

Howard Ferguson- Tough, and the packer fans are always on the prowl which makes it tougher.

Jim Brown- Not found nearly as much as the Unitas ( at least in my experience )

Easier Cards in the set-

Tobin Rote- It seems like it someone just has one 59 bazooka football, its always the Tobin Rote.

Frank Gifford- Seems to come around quite a bit

Bobby Lane- Always seem to be 2-3 on ebay, and they just don't sell

Pete Retzlaff- Seems to be an easier one

Woodly Lewis- Rather Manageable

Joe Arnett & Rick Caseras- Seem to be come around every now and then

Not to tough, but not as easy as others-
Y.A. Tittle
Unitas
Lebaron
Conerly ( seems easy for a single print )

Thoughs, Comments...

Myachelydra
03-23-2012, 10:16 AM
1929 Rogers Peet
1928 Star Player Candy Football

jefferyepayne
03-25-2012, 06:15 AM
Cards I had the most trouble with in 1935 National Chicle:

Bull Tosi - can't figure out why this card is so hard to find (and expensive) as compared to the other short prints in the set including more famous players. Any ideas?

Stan Kostka - the only card I don't have ... must be rare ;-) Have not seen many of these floating around ebay

Bronko Nagurski - I see this card more frequently than the other three but it's the most expensive as he was one of the best players in the league at that time.

Luke Johnsos - see Bull Tosi above. What's up with this card?

jeff