PDA

View Full Version : No MK Mark for Honus?

Cooper1927
03-11-2012, 09:26 PM
No MK mark for Honus?

http://www.psacard.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=7151

drc
03-11-2012, 09:51 PM
It's okay. It was postally used.

Now that I think of it, I have a few Pre-War baseball bats that were postally used. The players would mail them back to H & B and put the mailing stamps and address directly on the barrel.

drc
03-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Ps, your MK point is reasonable. Not only is there a stamp on the back, but there it appears to bleed to the front which isn't a good thing. I would think graders mark down heavily for bleed through.

Though, as far as my taste goes, a date stamp on the back is fine by me.

Cooper1927
03-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Personally I have nonissue with the stamp. PSA has marked all cards that I have seen that have stamps with the dreaded qualifier.

drc
03-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Whether or not one thinks it's pretty or ugly, there's no question it's a 'mark.'

D. Bergin
03-11-2012, 10:14 PM
I kind of wonder what difference does it make? Is somebody going to purchase this card without looking at the scan?

freakhappy
03-11-2012, 10:22 PM
I kind of wonder what difference does it make? Is somebody going to purchase this card without looking at the scan?

I think the point was that a qualifier should have definitely been present. There's no doubt someone is going to notice it before purchasing.

I know it seems like TPG don't grade accurately from time to time, but this one is an easy catch.

Runscott
03-11-2012, 10:33 PM
As an aside, the date-stamped Ames card is kind of odd in that the caption is slanted - 'Ames' starts off right at the border surrounding the image, then at the far right there is more white space between the caption and the border. Odd - haven't seen this before.

drc
03-11-2012, 10:47 PM
D.Bergin, the stamp is obvious and will be noticed by bidders. The heinous crime is this all will foul up the PSA registry numbers. Someone's T206 total set grade will be 3.47 when it should really be 3.45, thus robbing someone else of the prestigious PSA Registry 5th Place Award-- a framable paper certificate and basket of scented soaps.

drc
03-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Oops, I was in error. Someone from PSA contacted me and the soaps aren't scented.

brass_rat
03-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Oops, I was in error. Someone from PSA contacted me and the soaps aren't scented.

Lol. :D

For what it's worth, you mentioned that the ink on the front was possible a bleed through from the back. But if you line up where the stamp ink is on the back, the ink on the front is definitely not a bleed-through situation. It's just a separate, clear ink MK. :eek:

Steve

drc
03-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Maybe it would be simpler if we count the spots that aren't marked.

drc
03-11-2012, 11:38 PM
I jest of course. People who can afford much better lawyers than I can read this board.

D. Bergin
03-12-2012, 12:03 AM
D.Bergin, the stamp is obvious and will be noticed by bidders. The heinous crime is this all will foul up the PSA registry numbers. Someone's T206 total set grade will be 3.47 when it should really be 3.45, thus robbing someone else of the prestigious PSA Registry 5th Place Award-- a framable paper certificate and basket of scented soaps.

I shall light a candle on Christmas Eve for the poor soul who will be victimized by this horrible crime upon the hobby.

:D

alanu
03-12-2012, 12:23 AM

It would make a difference on the PSA set registry, qualifers are downgraded 2 grades (I think) as far as the registry goes

t206hound
03-12-2012, 06:42 AM
It would make a difference on the PSA set registry, qualifers are downgraded 2 grades (I think) as far as the registry goes

From what I've heard PSA 4MK is equivalent to PSA 2 (NQ)... the owner likely chose the non-qualifier option which bumps the "number" down a notch or two.

iggyman
03-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Eric,

You hit the naile on the head!

Not that it matters but, if you actually close you eyes and pretend the stain on the front and back............plus the paper loss on the front and back.........plus the rounded corners.............plus the overall wear on the back side does not exist. Yeah, it's VG-EX.

Lovely Day...

freakhappy
03-12-2012, 10:47 AM
From what I've heard PSA 4MK is equivalent to PSA 2 (NQ)... the owner likely chose the non-qualifier option which bumps the "number" down a notch or two.

What if the card was in EX-MT with a MK qualifier? Does that mean without the qualifier, the card would be VG-EX even with the mark? I still think the Wagner should have had a qualifier or graded a 1.5. Some qualifiers take the grade down two and some can't be applied like that...the MK is one of them.

Leon
03-12-2012, 12:11 PM
For consistency it should have an MK qualifier. It won't matter to the price it gets but if that were any other card it would have an MK, from what I have seen. Then again, special cards seem to get special treatment....and it seems as though all of the TPG's do that......great looking Wags.....

botn
03-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Special cards do get special treatment and it should not be that way...

It is a very nice looking 2 even with the stamp. Appears VG/VG+ however even if the stamp can be associated with something from the factory, it should be qualified. Stahl Meyers frequently have stamps and those always are qualified. Is the text on the bottom also cut off slightly? This one may have dodged 2 qualifiers.

Tough one to give a grade to and I think regardless of the grade, qualifier or not, this one is going to do very well and there will be no concession in the final price.

t206hound
03-12-2012, 12:51 PM
For consistency it should have an MK qualifier.

I agree that if a TPG uses qualifiers, they should be used every time and under every circumstance...

From PSA's FAQ pages:
Q: Can I request “No Qualifiers” on my submission?
A: You can make this request and it could mean that the original grade may lower. Also, while you may request no qualifiers on your submission, it is up to the discretion of our graders to determine if the qualifier can be removed. The qualifier can not be left off in all instances and no refund will be given if we determine that we can not remove the qualifier.