PDA

View Full Version : Why are you a New York Mets Fan?

Runscott
03-10-2012, 09:21 AM
David Brooks gives a good explanation as to why we support our teams:

Brooks: the-things-we-dont-choose (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/09/opinion/brooks-the-things-we-dont-choose.html?_r=1&ref=davidbrooks)

novakjr
03-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Nice article. The Nats seem like an exciting franchise. I'll watch them, but I'm not a fan though. And while I'm not a fan of the Mets either, they were one of the franchises that always left me scratching my head about how they ran their business as of late. It was like they were trying to spend like the Yankees, but only overspending on Latino players. It just seemed gimmicky to me. Which clearly wasn't working for them..

bobw
03-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Nice article and agree with everything he says, especially the part where he writes about youthful enchantment. My love for the Mets ( and Yankees ) are based on my childhood memories.

I remember my first Met game in 1967, I remember going to about 10 games in 1969 because Borden's Milk had a promotion where you cut out coupons on the containers and saw a Mets game for free (Saw Bob Moose's no hitter against the Mets). My father had all his friends cutting apart milk cartons for the coupons that summer. I remember riding out to Shea in the Worlds Fair colored #7 train and after the 111 Street Station, Shea would appear to the left, bigger than life, get off at Willets Point, walk down the ramp, walk past the two wooden souvenir stands and walk down the stairs to the street level.

I don't follow them closely anymore but I'll always be a Mets fan

Runscott
03-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Nice article and agree with everything he says, especially the part where he writes about youthful enchantment. My love for the Mets ( and Yankees ) are based on my childhood memories.

I remember my first Met game in 1967, I remember going to about 10 games in 1969 because Borden's Milk had a promotion where you cut out coupons on the containers and saw a Mets game for free (Saw Bob Moose's no hitter against the Mets). My father had all his friends cutting apart milk cartons for the coupons that summer. I remember riding out to Shea in the Worlds Fair colored #7 train and after the 111 Street Station, Shea would appear to the left, bigger than life, get off at Willets Point, walk down the ramp, walk past the two wooden souvenir stands and walk down the stairs to the street level.

I don't follow them closely anymore but I'll always be a Mets fan

My 1st game was 1968 in the Astrodome, but I remember following the Astros in '67 - won a signed '67 ball from Legendary this week to go with my other Astros junk. '69 was the breakout year for both teams, but while we folded to the Braves, you guys won it all.

Now both teams are back to '61 it seems like.