PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hotel California Photo ID?

smokelessjoe
03-09-2012, 01:13 PM
I have a group of (what I think:) are amazing photos... I have determined that the pictures were taken in downtown Los Angeles by using the photo with the vertical "Hotel California" sign...

The float with the "Bomb Shells" & the Eagle with the Shield on the front, is stunning!

My question:

What is going on here? Just a parade? or is it symbolic of some big event? I am guessing early 1920s? What do you guys think?

Also, on the last photo, what do you think the tower thingy sticking out of the top of the trees is???

Thank you!
Shawn

sayhey24
03-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Don't know about the event, but agree that it is one cool float!
To possibly further pinpoint location in downtown LA -- that Metcalf & Ryan sign also shows up in a USC digital library photo dated 1917 depicting Broadway and 7th in LA (you can also see a Broadway sign in one of your photos).

Greg

frankbmd
03-09-2012, 01:37 PM
cars of that age. The tower looks like .......a tower???

I'm guessing a parade at the end of World War 1.

My father was born on Veterans Day and always claimed that his birth ended the war.

Runscott
03-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Armistice Day - November 11, 1918. I've seen photos of downtown Seattle and Chicago on this day, and they looked very similar.

smokelessjoe
03-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys,

I had not thought of Armistice Day... I have a few more photos I will post on monday. People drinking Maer Beer (lots of bottles) etc...

smokelessjoe
05-24-2012, 05:43 AM
Forgot to post the other photos! Not sure what is going on with the stuffed animal creature drinking Maier Dark Beer? Eerily fascinating.... Kids riding goats - pretty cool. And the last photo with the woman on the beach, notice the sign in the background - "Venice" beach California!

Ulidia
05-24-2012, 07:27 AM
The photo second from bottom (with the man leaning against the car) looks like it maybe could have been shot at Torrey Pines in San Diego, given the rather distinctive rockface.

slidekellyslide
05-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Great photos...especially like the ones with the creepy stuffed animal drinking beer and eating pickles.

grainsley
05-24-2012, 08:51 AM
The original rally monkey..........

Griffins
05-24-2012, 09:05 AM
The last picture was taken on Santa Monica Beach, the pier in the background is Pacific Ocean Park (POP). The other side of the pier is Venice Beach.

smokelessjoe
05-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Wow! Thank you for the information guys.... This album has more really strange photos - I will try and scan sometime next week. I think I really would have enjoyed hanging out and drinking a beer with these people & the creepy thingy....

Here he has only had two beers so far!

D. Broughman
05-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Looks like "Felix the Cat" from the cartoons of that time:D

sago
05-24-2012, 11:13 AM
The baby on the goat is supposed to be the Yellow Kid; right down to the bald head and long nightshirt. There is a cast iron toy by Kenton that the children are imitating. The stuffed animal in the photos is Felix the Cat.

cubsguy1969
05-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Those are awesome photos. I'm an estate sale junkie and find old photos all the time. I'm fascinated by them. And depending on the image, they sell fairly well. Did you purchase them to sell? I imagine some of those would do fairly well on ebay.
Terrific images. Thanks for sharing.

smokelessjoe
05-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Hey Cubsguy,

I am the same as you... I am fascinated by old photos etc. How it usually works for me - I will buy something with the intent to sell - Then I become enamored by the history etc. - Decide not to sell - Then find something new that occupies my time (researching, history etc.)... Collector****

Overtime I will probably sell these? But I say that all of the time:)

slidekellyslide
05-24-2012, 03:44 PM
I had thought the creepy thing had resembled Felix The Cat, but was sure these photos are older than he was...I was wrong, wikipedia has him as being created in 1919. I always thought he was a 1930s creation.

NewEnglandBaseBallist
05-24-2012, 04:07 PM
I believe the stuffed animal is George Herriman's Krazy Kat. Krazy Kat was a popular comic strip in the pre-WWII era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krazy_Kat

slidekellyslide
05-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Oh you kid! I think you're 100% right Adam...that's Krazy Kat.

Exhibitman
05-25-2012, 11:23 AM
The first 3 photos are Spring Street in downtown Los Angeles. If you look at the 1st image, the window advertisement advertises a business just opened on the 2nd floor on S. Spring Street. It was the heart of the garment center in L.A. At the extreme left of the 3rd photo you can see the distinct collonades of the lower floors of the Arcade Building, which still stands. The main buildings in the photos are gone; a parking lot is there now.