PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know Babe Ruth's 1st ever appearance by photo in a magazine?

vthobby
03-08-2012, 07:44 AM
I got this recently and to date I had never seen Ruth in a magazine that far back.

I do know his first cover was Dec 1916 for Baseball Magazine (unless someone knows of an earlier cover appearance?) but I was curious if anyone has anything older than July 1916 for him appearing in a photo inside any magazine?

The item that I have shows Ruth pitching in a Red Sox uniform and is in a July 1916 magazine called: The Boys' Magazine.

I'd appreciate any info, thanks! mike

Runscott
03-08-2012, 07:56 AM
He had a good year pitching in 1915, so wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get his picture published somewhere - maybe Baseball Magazine.

slidekellyslide
03-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Somewhere I have a 1915 or 1916 Leslie's magazine with him pictured...I wish I knew where it was, but I'm afraid it's buried somewhere. I do know that when I first found it I wondered to myself this very question you are asking.

barrysloate
03-08-2012, 06:18 PM
I'm sure you can find a picture of him in a 1914 or 1915 Spalding Guide, but that's not technically a magazine.

novakjr
03-08-2012, 06:52 PM
There was a 1915 guide page on the bay a few months ago of the '14 Providence team with Ruth. So if you count the guides, yours is not the first...If you don't count the guides, I really couldn't say for sure then.

vthobby
03-08-2012, 09:09 PM
I appreciate the input and if anyone has more info on any magazine photos of Ruth that would be great!

P.S. I just looked up the 1915 World Series box scores and found some amazing facts.

Babe Ruth after winning almost 20 games that year did not pitch at any time during the series. There were only 3 pitchers for the Red Sox used in the entire series!

Babe pinch hit only once and grounded out!

I now see why he was not pictured in publications much in 1915. If the Red Sox did not see the value in him for the biggest stage of the year then why would the public?
:confused: