PDA

View Full Version : m116 "blues", puzzle-piece cards, proofs, handcut panels and other oddities

shammus
03-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Saw the "Show something else..." thread and wanted to show off something not commonly seen and something even I haven't seen for a few years. As in....I almost forgot I even had any m116s in my collection at all as I've been focused on caramel cards for so many years! Fortunately, when I went to go retrieve these, they were all still where I last saw them a few years back.

But anyway, you don't see a lot of oddities coming out of the m116 set so I wanted to show off a few of mine.

Despite the fact that these cards haven't really been a part of my "collecting focus" for a long time, m116 Blues are absolutely GORGEOUS cards that are undervalued based on their eye appeal alone. In all, I have a large group of 28 blue backs total. Out of this group, 18 of them have the "LARGER, BRIGHTER AND BETTER THAN EVER!" 5 cent backs. Those players are as follows:

Brown, Bresnahan, Collins, Doyle, Davis, Crawford, Bender, Thomas, Jennings, McQuillan, Dooin, Tenney, Jones, Leach, Jordan, Donovan, Jones, Brown

I don't believe m116 blues come with any other back besides this one but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I also have one "proof" (at least, this is what the card is labeled as in it's GAI AUTHENTIC holder), the Gibson pictured below. It has a smooth, white blank back, is lacking a caption and appears to be a slightly thinner paper stock than the normal cards.

The next six cards are pretty unique. They are part of an advertising piece printed on thick cardboard. They all fit together at one point but were cut apart crudely. If I line them up, they fit together like a puzzle still. The material these pieces are made of are at least 3 times as thick as normal m116s. The blacks are brownish/greyish, blank and give off the impression that they were once a part of a thick cardboard box or advertising poster, or at least a larger strip such as the panel w/ Chance in it. It's heavy like the "puzzle" cards with the crude looking back. These appear to be just like the cards that were hacked up, only still intact as a small 3-card panel.

Anyways, haven't participated in an m116 thread discussion for a while so please feel free to comment, show off your own m116 oddities, etc..etc.. I'm always curious as to what else is out there!

Cooper1927
03-04-2012, 10:13 AM
I have picked up some M116's in the last month and really like the looks of them. I am thinking about trying for a set.

Thanks for posting the blue background cards, I haven't any of that type yet!

tbob
03-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Nice cards Brian. I completed the M116 set a few years ago and am happy I did. I think of all the sets I have that this one is the most undervalued and has the most room for growth. Once you complete the set, you can sit back and go after back variations and the blank back cards, of which I have a few. All the blank back cards I have are blue backgrounds also...
tbob

TUM301
03-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Count me in as another fan of this set. I too think this is one of the more undervalued and under appreciated sets out there. Because they`re not as scarce and nicer examples are still affordable, the M 116 set could be just what the doctor ordered to attract new collectors to the hobby. Brian, the uncut Cobb/Wagner panel is still my favorite item in my collection. Thanx again.

milkit1
03-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Love those cards! Would KILL for a blank back Chance to go with this one for my team set :)

Leon
03-04-2012, 06:27 PM
a "not blue" Coombs

http://luckeycards.com/pm116coombsproof.jpg

smtjoy
03-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Great Cards, I only have a few but I hope to own a few more in the future-

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/smtjoy/Vintage%20Cards/Big%2030/1910-11m116cobbblue40both.jpg

Cooper1927
03-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Not exactly oddities, but they are from the Lionel Carter collection.

I picked these up from a fellow board member last month. Thanks again Mike!

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=314&pictureid=6382
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=314&pictureid=6381

caramelcard
03-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Great cards Brian et al.

I really love the set, but might give up with 6 cards left. I always get worn out at the end.

One of my favorite aspects of the set is the fact that you can sometimes find the original envelopes that the cards were mailed to the collector in.

Rob

http://photos.imageevent.com/caramelcard/turkeyredautos/websize/sc00aad50a02.jpg

Exhibitman
03-04-2012, 11:15 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/freaksandgeeks/websize/1910%20M116%20Lennox%20printers%20scrap.jpg

blank backed

shammus
03-05-2012, 06:51 PM
For some reason, it just seems this set never got the "push" that other caramel and tobacco issues have received. Of course, Wagner and Cobb continue to go up as do the rarities like the McQuillan Cinci card, but by and large, this set's always been a pretty affordable one with cards relatively easy to find.

Hugh - really happy you still have that Cobb/Wags panel - it's an AMAZING piece and truly something unique to have both Cobb and Wagner on the same card! I'm happy I hung on to at least one of them. So tell me, does my Frank Chance panel "count" as a card in the 24-card m116 "blues" subset, or do I have to actually go out and find the real card to be able to cross that one off the list...heh!

Sean - I dig that Brown. It's a blank back? Is it a proof or made of a different paper stock at all? Or is it just a normal m116 that just happens to have a blank back?

Adam - the Lennox has an interesting look to it. No flesh color on the face...did it miss a color pass? Same question for you that I asked Sean, is this a normal m116 that is blank-backed or is it a proof/hand cut example?

alanu
03-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks for posting this, it's very interesting.

I was collecting just the blue backgrounds at one time, the one thing I wondered if there was a difference between why there were some that were the lighter blue solid blue backgrounds and the darker mult-colored blue backgrounds.

David R
03-05-2012, 10:35 PM
My avatar is my blue m116 Brown, which is one of my favorites. I have the 12 blues in that half of the blues set with the original M116 envelope that they came in.

tbob
03-06-2012, 01:26 PM
The two non-blue background blank backs I have are the pastel Bender and a real oddity card- Mitchell in black and white and a very much lighter weight card, it's like the E97 black and whites. I've never seen one like it and it was labeled an M116 "proof" although I have no idea if it is or not. Absolutely zero color in it, just black and white.

Exhibitman
03-07-2012, 04:47 AM
For some reason, it just seems this set never got the "push" that other caramel and tobacco issues have received. Of course, Wagner and Cobb continue to go up as do the rarities like the McQuillan Cinci card, but by and large, this set's always been a pretty affordable one with cards relatively easy to find.

Hugh - really happy you still have that Cobb/Wags panel - it's an AMAZING piece and truly something unique to have both Cobb and Wagner on the same card! I'm happy I hung on to at least one of them. So tell me, does my Frank Chance panel "count" as a card in the 24-card m116 "blues" subset, or do I have to actually go out and find the real card to be able to cross that one off the list...heh!

Sean - I dig that Brown. It's a blank back? Is it a proof or made of a different paper stock at all? Or is it just a normal m116 that just happens to have a blank back?

Adam - the Lennox has an interesting look to it. No flesh color on the face...did it miss a color pass? Same question for you that I asked Sean, is this a normal m116 that is blank-backed or is it a proof/hand cut example?

I'd say missing multiple color passes

milkit1
03-07-2012, 08:52 AM
mine seems of similar stock as the regular cards. I had four others as well, all blue backs. I think these came from a sample sheet or something directly affiliated with the company and perhaps its employees. I dont think these were off of some random advertising piece as I believe an intact one would have surfaced by now . I'm going for a cubs master set so the brown is probably my favorite card. just need a chance blank back plus an evers and tinker black back :)

QUOTE=shammus;973082]For some reason, it just seems this set never got the "push" that other caramel and tobacco issues have received. Of course, Wagner and Cobb continue to go up as do the rarities like the McQuillan Cinci card, but by and large, this set's always been a pretty affordable one with cards relatively easy to find.

Adam - the Lennox has an interesting look to it. No flesh color on the face...did it miss a color pass? Same question for you that I asked Sean, is this a normal m116 that is blank-backed or is it a proof/hand cut example?[/QUOTE]

Tao_Moko
03-11-2012, 03:09 PM
This card is on thick stock. Is it part of the advertising piece or proof?

Thanks,

Eric

TUM301
03-11-2012, 04:47 PM
As far as the uncut panels go, this link to a past REA auction may shed some more light on them.
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2007/267.html

sb1
03-11-2012, 05:04 PM
None of these handcut pieces, whether on thick or thin stock should be considered "proofs". All are cut from varying advertising pieces. Sporting Life had a very aggressive marketing campaign for most of the early 1900's marketing their cabinet cards and pocket publications and later their venture into the baseball "card" world with the M116's.

A true proof based on various other known issues such as T206 & T3, would have the "crosshairs" for alignment on all four sides and no text at the bottom. I have never seen an actual M116 "proof", nor one for many other mainstream sets. These would not have been available to the general public in any way. Most of the printers scrap and the few known proofs of the many tobacco and caramel card issues are from items carried home by employees, much like the plethora of sheets, ad cards and printers scrap that Topps and Bowman employees toted out in the 1950's.

caramelcard
03-11-2012, 07:34 PM
When pastels M116s are soaked, they lose the pinkish color that you would see in the portrait's face. The backs will also fade if they are soaked long enough.

Rob

ethicsprof
03-11-2012, 07:38 PM
great thread and pics!
i have three M116s for my type collection because they are one of my favorite sets.
(typically, i've been very singleminded(pun intended) about getting just one per type).
I have a hughie jennings NM7 which I won from one of the last of Sloate's auctions. I also have a 6 Bransfield and 6 Crandall---but what's great now is that i realize I don't have a blue!!!
At least not for the next few minutes!!!
all the best,
barry

joeadcock
03-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Keep up the good work Barry

ZernialFan
03-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Like the Blue backgrounds...........This is the only M116 I own.
I picked up this Lajoie because I was frustrated I could only find nice Lajoie Portraits that were way over priced.

Charlie

ethicsprof
03-11-2012, 09:25 PM
many thanks for the good wishes!!
hope you're doing well with your type collecting.
all the best, ole buddy

barry

atx840
03-11-2012, 10:30 PM
As far as the uncut panels go, this link to a past REA auction may shed some more light on them.
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2007/267.html

Those are as sexy as cards can get.