PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this T206 Jackson?

t206hound
03-01-2012, 10:59 PM
I picked up this Jackson recently... the photo was terrible and the card was in a top loader. It's obviously trimmed by hand, but the color is off too. Looks like no red... is there anything "special" about this card?
Is it missing ink?
Faded?
Something else?

Jantz
03-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Hi Er1ck

Interesting card! I'm not sure what to make of it.

Missing the red ink? Hard to say since I see red in Jackson's hairline, yet none on his lips.

Even the blue in the back ground is much lighter.

From my limited experience, I've noticed that a lot of T206s with Old Mill backs seem to have less vibrant colors. So I'm posting up an image that I borrowed from T206Resource of Jackson with an Old Mill ( I believe ) back just as a comparison to show how much lighter the colors are in your card.

Jantz

martin neal
03-02-2012, 03:37 AM
The uneven borders are the first thing that stood out to me. Both sides grow wider as they go from top to bottom. Possibly hand cut?

FrankWakefield
03-02-2012, 06:10 AM
Is it possible that it is rebacked? Have you flexed the card? I'm wondering it is sandwiched together... Might have been an Old Mill card that was glued into a scrapbook. Trimming would have been to align the front and back (generally, cards from scrapbooks wouldn't need trimming because the scrapbook protected the corners and sides).

atx840
07-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Finally picked up a Jackson to compare, raw unedited scans. In hand they look completely different from each other.

Im thinking its missing the pink/buff layer and possibly the "ghost" layer with the shadows and details (noticeable on inside left collar and face). Thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/VwdV7.jpg

Davy_Kangaroo_Jones
07-23-2012, 06:13 PM
It looks real.

t206blogcom
07-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Nicely cut scrap? Or is that wishful thinking?

packs
07-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Everyone's got a scrap these days. I thought they were rare.

FrankWakefield
07-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Not scrap. That's a post-distribution cut.

But what is interesting is the red registration mark centered in the top border of those 2 cards.

teetwoohsix
07-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Finally picked up a Jackson to compare, raw unedited scans. In hand they look completely different from each other.

Im thinking its missing the pink/buff layer and possibly the "ghost" layer with the shadows and details (noticeable on inside left collar and face). Thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/VwdV7.jpg

I think you are right Chris about the "ghost" layer (shadows), as you can see the shadowing behind the letters across his shirt (Baltimore) is missing completely.

Sincerely, Clayton

e107collector
07-23-2012, 07:59 PM
There seems to be proof marks on the borders of each of the cards.

Tony

atx840
07-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Those marks are fairly common, both seem to have them on each side. I'm not sure it's scrap but something is definitely different about it...thanks for the feedback.

steve B
07-23-2012, 09:05 PM
No pink, no gray. interesting card.

The little marks are registration marks from the transfers used to layout the stone or plate. I think eventually we'll be able to tell more about the sheet layouts from them.

Steve B