PDA

View Full Version : OT : Where have they gone ?

DixieBaseball
02-29-2012, 07:34 PM
I thought I would start a thread about some of the great members that once dawned our board/threads. Folks come and go (I get it), but some I wish would not go... Whatever happened to Kawika (Dave) ? Always had a humorous side and great cards to boot. Would like to see him surface again. (Hope all is well)

Who do you wonder about ? Anyone out there that you would like to hear from ?

Mikehealer
02-29-2012, 08:04 PM
I agree with you Jeremy about Kawika, I always enjoy reading his posts. He's got some great cards too.

ls7plus
02-29-2012, 09:53 PM
I agree also re Kawika. Personally, my interest tends to alternate between cards and cars (still have 2 vintage Corvettes), almost like moon phases. I know this will happen, as it has for more than 20 years; but I also know the card fever isn't going away permanently anytime soon.

Best to all of our favorite posters who may also just be going through a temporary decline in interest in what can be a very intense hobby!

Larry

Clutch-Hitter
02-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Been wondering about David (Kawika) also. I remember someone saying he was headed back to the mainland...been a while though

Griffins
03-01-2012, 01:26 AM
David is alive and well and living in the great white north. I'm sure he's just settling in as he laments his faded tan.

I wonder about his guy though
http://photos.imageevent.com/griffins/distribution/large/Elliot.jpg

terjung
03-01-2012, 01:50 AM
I think that one was working on his tan last week, Anthony.

drc
03-01-2012, 02:39 AM
I hear from Elliot once in a while on facebook.

Elliot started the Net54's original (post Full Count) incarnate. I've noted a couple of times that curiosity that the board was started by a non-American. Yes, a Canadian.

irishdenny
03-01-2012, 03:30 AM
Been wondering about David (Kawika) also. I remember someone saying he was headed back to the mainland...been a while though

I've had the pleasure of emailin' with Dave not so long ago. I believe that he mentioned they had moved to the Washington State area because of he's Bride's Job!?

I'm sure that he might just chime in and fills us all in on his widely missed presents... And Yes, his wonderful nature always brightened uP my day when ever he'd chime iN!!!

Very Much MiSSed iNdeed...

"Dave, You there?"

baseballart
03-01-2012, 03:37 AM
Kawika is certainly an international man of mystery

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6182/6089865158_8740c90aa5.jpg

barrysloate
03-01-2012, 05:59 AM
I emailed Dave a while back and asked him why he left the board, but I never heard back from him. Maybe he never got the email.

docpatlv
03-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Was also wondering where Kawika has been hiding out.

Whatever happened to Jim VB?

He used to post frequently, can't remember the last time I've seen him post.

Leon
03-01-2012, 11:28 AM
My guesses would be that David M. is taking a bit of a break but hopefully will be back. There was some controversy over an item he had bought and he got quite disenchanted with the hobby at that time. Some people actually want a hobby to be relaxing and not stressful. I hope he comes back when he is ready to.

As for Jim VB, I think he still reads the board but I also think I upset him about a year ago with a "public names" issue. It was one of those threads where I said everyone had to have their names in it and I put his in it, much to his dismay. I apologized but also said I was trying to be fair and everyone had to adhere to the same rule.
I know he reads the board and if you are reading Jim, I hope you will come back and post when you are ready to. I really didn't mean to piss you off and even went back and tried to help. You were always one of my favorite posters. I admit I have made some mistakes on the board and how I handled that issue could have been much better. Live and learn.

There is no doubt the way this board is managed, and I take almost all of the criticisms and responsibility for it (with some help from the other mods) upsets some people. For that reason they would rather not participate. I understand. The only redeeming quality is that, as I have continually said, we are getting a lot of new members every month (exactly 70 new ones last month) and they take some of the slack of folks that leave. This is not a board to bitch and moan on if you don't want your name made public. If you don't mind your name being out there, when it needs to be, then this is as open of a board as I think there is.

barrysloate
03-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Another poster who seems to have disappeared is Steve M. (jacklitsch). Maybe he has posted recently and I missed it, but I think he may have left.

I also saw one of Bruce's emails recently that was forwarded to me by a friend. I've been directing all of his emails to my spam folder because he bombards me with his politics and I don't appreciate it. I've asked him to stop but....well you know the answer to that one already. But he feels the board is missing out by not being able to read his informative posts, and stated that he has received hundreds of emails supporting him. So maybe it's time for him to return.

Leon
03-01-2012, 01:07 PM
maybe it's time for him to return.

It comes back up for vote next leap year :).

carrigansghost
03-01-2012, 01:14 PM
"they" have been it touch with me and "they" are still in the hobby. Personally, "they" are missed.

Rawn

barrysloate
03-01-2012, 01:30 PM
It comes back up for vote next leap year :).

Just 3 years and 365 days away....:)

slidekellyslide
03-01-2012, 02:46 PM
The fact that Bruce wants to come back here and can not gives me great satisfaction. He was given so many chances to reform his behavior and he can't do it.

And yes, I know this post just netted him 10 more items from his World's Toughest Want List.

ScottFandango
03-01-2012, 03:12 PM
worlds toughest want list!

i remember that guy!

always with a rude/snide/degrading/condescending remarkin every post!

that dude was intensely douchy!

sure miss him

carrigansghost
03-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Some of us have found a replacement for "them" and the best part is it's all rolled up into one person. Think it might be fun to watch a trainwreck between them.

Rawn

batsballsbases
03-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Some of us have found a replacement for "them" and the best part is it's all rolled up into one person. Think it might be fun to watch a trainwreck between them.

Rawn

Rawn Now thats Funny!:D:D I to believe its all rolled up into one person!

ethicsprof
03-01-2012, 07:27 PM
good thread.
i've been wondering what happened to darren duet.
i know physicians can be awfully busy but it seems like too long a time now.
how about ole steve yawitz? another great fellow I miss seeing 'round here.

all the best,
barry

slidekellyslide
03-01-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure why some of these guys have stopped posting to Net54, but many of them mentioned I am friends with on facebook and they are still around. I think a lot of collectors take a breather now and again from the hobby and that may be what's happening.

Jaybird
03-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Maybe it's not a break from N54 so much as it's a break from T206 ;)

baseballart
03-01-2012, 09:06 PM
David is alive and well and living in the great white north.

There is no truth to the rumour he has moved to Saskatchewan

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7046/6932737537_b875cf29fc_z.jpg

Runscott
03-01-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm not sure why some of these guys have stopped posting to Net54, but many of them mentioned I am friends with on facebook and they are still around. I think a lot of collectors take a breather now and again from the hobby and that may be what's happening.

I think you can find your answer on the previous page. :rolleyes:

sbfinley
03-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Marshall Barkman anyone? I got into it with him once, but I actually miss the fellow.

DixieBaseball
03-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Marshall Barkman anyone? I got into with him once, but I actually miss the fellow.

Marshall Barkman ? Is that the guy that brought the noize ? :cool:

sbfinley
03-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Yup. Constantly.

slidekellyslide
03-01-2012, 10:00 PM
I think you can find your answer on the previous page. :rolleyes:

???

Orioles1954
03-01-2012, 10:09 PM
What about that kid Zach from Ohio?

Brian Weisner
03-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Zach is busy with school at GW... He'll be back around when the work load lightens and the girls leave him alone....
Be well Brian

Jantz
03-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Has anyone heard from Archive lately?

My feeling is that he left after being threatened to be sued by the Bruces.

Jantz

mzm55
03-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Brian isn’t too far off, actually. I read the board but have been absent from collecting for a while due to my workload. I am now finishing my senior year at GW. Unfortunately I will not have much of a lull from school, as I will likely be accepting an offer from Yale for graduate school.

I will admit, though, that I catch myself spending hours searching terms such as “Contentnea” and “Voskamp” in early American newspapers while I am supposed to be working on my undergraduate thesis. I have learned that the Fan Craze set was issued into 1907, but that is another issue for another time.

Take care,

Zach

rainier2004
03-02-2012, 05:40 AM
Has anyone heard from Archive lately?

Yeah, I got an email from him as he was looking for large-ass herzog...Archive then continued to bring up the past, like he does and I haven't heard from him since....or large-ass for that matter.:eek:

slidekellyslide
03-02-2012, 06:15 AM
Brian isn’t too far off, actually. I read the board but have been absent from collecting for a while due to my workload. I am now finishing my senior year at GW. Unfortunately I will not have much of a lull from school, as I will likely be accepting an offer from Yale for graduate school.

I will admit, though, that I catch myself spending hours searching terms such as “Contentnea” and “Voskamp” in early American newspapers while I am supposed to be working on my undergraduate thesis. I have learned that the Fan Craze set was issued into 1907, but that is another issue for another time.

Take care,

Zach

Good for you Zach! Yale! That's awesome.

dstudeba
03-02-2012, 06:17 AM
Maybe it's not a break from N54 so much as it's a break from T206 ;)

I like this J@son fellow.

sportscardpete
03-02-2012, 06:26 AM
Another poster who seems to have disappeared is Steve M. (jacklitsch). Maybe he has posted recently and I missed it, but I think he may have left.

Barry I'm pretty sure he is still around. I bought a card off him recently after reading one of his posts. Classy guy!

Pete

matty6
03-02-2012, 06:33 AM
What about Wesley? Is he still around?

edhans
03-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Great to hear from you. Are you going to Baltimore this summer?

bijoem
03-02-2012, 06:47 AM

Take care,

Zach

Zach - you are going to accept an offer from Yale for graduate school at the expense of posting on this board?

your priorities are all screwed up. :D

(way to go! awesome. really awesome.)

E93
03-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Zach,
Congrats on admission to Yale for your Ph.D.! That is great news! Looking forward to seeing you at the National.
JimB

HasselhoffsCheeseburger
03-02-2012, 01:56 PM
I think the hobby is just like life. There are a lot of places to buy cards, a lot of places to sell cards, and a lot of places to discuss cards. Sometimes, when the BS gets too thick to breath through, we decide to prioritize things. Some don't make the cut.

carrigansghost
03-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Greg T_eberge.. now he had some great stuff, wonder where he went to.

Rawn

yawie99
03-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Hi, Barry (and any other old hobby friends)! I'm alive. I read the boards every now and then and still pick up a few cards a year, but I just haven't been able to devote as much time, money, or energy to the hobby as I once did. I kind of hate being this detached from the world of old cardboard but I'm sure I'll be back to full-time collecting one of these days.

ScottFandango
03-13-2012, 06:15 AM
Hi, Barry (and any other old hobby friends)! I'm alive. I read the boards every now and then and still pick up a few cards a year, but I just haven't been able to devote as much time, money, or energy to the hobby as I once did. I kind of hate being this detached from the world of old cardboard but I'm sure I'll be back to full-time collecting one of these days.

Goog to hear from you, do you still have the speaker e90-1?

2dueces
03-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Hi Steve, Good to see that you are still around. We had many correspondence back in the day. I credit you for helping me in many ways in this hobby, from T206's to other things. Your friend, Joe

yawie99
03-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Goog to hear from you, do you still have the speaker e90-1?

I do not. I kinda miss that card and would like to replace the image one of these days. Probably not on another E90-1 since I almost never reacquire cards I've let go...though I could see myself breaking that rule in a major way and eventually returning to T206's, Joe. I try to check out the monthly pick-up threads still and never tire of looking at T206's.

ethicsprof
03-13-2012, 08:16 PM
great to hear from you ole friend.
stay in touch.
all the best,
perfessor (sic) :)

yawie99
03-13-2012, 08:45 PM
great to hear from you ole friend.
stay in touch.
all the best,
perfessor (sic) :)

:) indeed!

tbob
03-13-2012, 09:52 PM
I definitely miss David McDonald and hope he is doing well on the mainland, just a great guy. I also miss some fellow collectors who were super guys like Tim Sedlock, "Ockday" (Alan from New York), Brian Parker, Dwight Davis, Bruce McPherson and many others.

brianp-beme
03-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Hey Bob,

One guy has never gone missing...Brian P be me.

Brian

baseballart
03-13-2012, 10:07 PM
I definitely miss David McDonald and hope he is doing well on the mainland, just a great guy. .

David is doing well, but he's not quite on the mainland, as he's living in Victoria on Vancouver Island

Kawika
07-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Greetings and Love to One and All!
Just want to let you know that I have been laying on the low side of the Hobby during our transition from Hawaii to British Columbia over the last year, and that I just put the final pieces together to get my haole butt to Baltimore for the National next week. Hope to see you folks there.

David McDonald
=kawika o ka pakipika=
Victoria, British Columbia

http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/family/ootnabootinvictoria/large/DSC03211.JPG

barrysloate
07-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Hi David- a lot of us have wondered about you. Trust you are well, and that maybe you will even start posting again.

regards,
Barry

Cat
07-23-2012, 03:37 PM
haole

You picked up French really fast. Congrats!! :)

tjb1952tjb
07-24-2012, 02:07 AM
worlds toughest want list!

i remember that guy!

always with a rude/snide/degrading/condescending remarkin every post!

that dude was intensely douchy!

sure miss him

+1:eek:

hangman62
07-24-2012, 04:49 AM
Id also like to see Marshall ' bring the noise".. back posting again.. it was always entertaining !