PDA

View Full Version : Keith O's great article on Cameo Pepsin pins

Leon
02-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Keith O's great article on Cameo Pepsin pins

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/featured/cameo-appearance-new-information-unfolds-regarding-the-cameo-pepsin-gum-pins-including-date-of-origin

danmckee
02-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Keith is a major TRUE collector not caring about 3rd party grading and collecting regionals to regular issues. Keith is a master collector and an icon.

slidekellyslide
02-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Keith is a major TRUE collector not caring about 3rd party grading and collecting regionals to regular issues. Keith is a master collector and an icon compared to the slab collecting morons who pay $20K for a $50 Ozzie Smith card.

I like Keith Olbermann...he and I are political dopplegangers, but I watched him go crazy over the Alex Gordon Topps Rookie debacle....which IMO is no different than paying stupid money for an Ozzie Smith rookie card. :D

drc
02-27-2012, 09:12 PM
I've dealt with him twice visa vie cards, and thought he was nice and polite.

oldjudge
02-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Keith is truely gifted in his research and presentation skills. There is no better writer on sports memorabilia matters.

HRBAKER
02-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Keith is truely gifted in his research and presentation skills. There is no better writer on sports memorabilia matters.

Agreed! I could read KO all day, listen to him rant, not so much.

Vol
02-27-2012, 11:40 PM
compared to the slab collecting morons who pay $20K for a $50 Ozzie Smith card.

:confused:

Too each his own maybe??

Stay classy.

E93
02-28-2012, 01:02 AM
Great article! Keith O. is a real scholar of this stuff and excellent contributor to our collective hobby knowledge.
JimB

drc
02-28-2012, 01:07 AM
I think it's a shame the other thread was deleted. Contained some of my best material.

frankbmd
02-28-2012, 08:02 AM
I like Keith Olbermann...he and I are political dopplegangers, but I watched him go crazy over the Alex Gordon Topps Rookie debacle....which IMO is no different than paying stupid money for an Ozzie Smith rookie card. :D

I met Keith at the preview of the PSA 8 Honus Wagner T206 at Sotheby's in Beverly Hills before their 1991 auction of the Holy Grail. Keith was still very entertaining doing sports in LA before moving on to ESPN, so I guess I met Keith and Honus the same day. Although doppelganger is a great word, I would have to describe myself as a regierungsgegner currently.

barrysloate
02-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Great article as always by Keith...and note the name Delahanty is misspelled on the pin. I would venture to say that his name was spelled incorrectly on more than half the references to him over the years.

Frank- what does that very long German word mean? That's a new one for me (I could tender a guess I'm sure).

terjung
02-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Great article. I always enjoy reading or watching Keith's baseball related stuff.

Barry, I'm with you. I don't know Frank's word there either. Sounding it out though, it almost sounds like something Scooby Doo might say.

frankbmd
02-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Great article as always by Keith...and note the name Delahanty is misspelled on the pin. I would venture to say that his name was spelled incorrectly on more than half the references to him over the years.

Frank- what does that very long German word mean? That's a new one for me (I could tender a guess I'm sure).

Opposition member - sort of an antidoppelganger

baseballart
02-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Mr. Olbermann has long been a writer on sports and memorabilia. This was written as a 14 year old

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4110/5409157375_4a8ec50559.jpg

barrysloate
02-28-2012, 09:09 AM
As I assumed.....:)

But a neat word nonetheless. Wish I could pronounce it.

Peter_Spaeth
02-28-2012, 09:11 AM
My favorite German word is still schadenfreude.

barrysloate
02-28-2012, 09:13 AM
My favorite is bratwurst...with a little mustard on top.

frankbmd
02-28-2012, 09:54 AM

We can have a Net54 Bratwurst Dinner in Wisconsin. It doesn't get any better.

barrysloate
02-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Count me in Frank....but I have to refill my stomach medication first. When I eat bratwurst I pay later....:(

And apologies for hijacking this thread....maybe we should get back to Cameo Pepsins.

Peter_Spaeth
02-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Or Cameo Pepcid.

slidekellyslide
02-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Count me in Frank....but I have to refill my stomach medication first. When I eat bratwurst I pay later....:(

And apologies for hijacking this thread....maybe we should get back to Cameo Pepsins.

If people knew where Pepsin came from they probably wouldn't put it in their mouth. :)

barrysloate
02-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Most of the candies and gums associated with baseball cards look dreadfully unhealthy. I couldn't imagine eating the chocolate and caramels put out with the 1910 era E-cards.

kkkkandp
02-28-2012, 12:01 PM
As I assumed.....:)

But a neat word nonetheless. Wish I could pronounce it.

I think this link should work. Click on the little speaker button in the box with the German word! :)

http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wT#de|en|regierungsgegner

autograf
02-28-2012, 12:16 PM
great, great article..........

toppcat
02-28-2012, 04:39 PM

+1

batsballsbases
02-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Very nice to see that the collection now is with a great collector such as Keith. Having owned about half of that collection 60+ pins for some 35+ years it was great to read about some of the pins that I didnt even know about. The John McGraw part was very intresting. I also loved to see the variations of the pins, some I had some I didnt. I do know a few board members did end up with some of mine My Cy Young , Buck Ewing, and I do know that I had bought back my Dummy Hoy Pin from the REA auction and ended up selling it to one of our board members who was putting a collection together for his son who is Deaf. Keith great job on the article and I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. To let you know the money went to a good cause! Putting my son thru medical school! 4 years at Fordham and now on to Duke medical school in August! Anyone on the board have an extra 200,000 I can borrow!;);)