PDA

View Full Version : authenticating through a frame - again...just throw in the towel.

travrosty
02-23-2012, 09:03 AM
More baloney from an 'authentication' company claiming it is honest, ethical and proper to authenticate an autograph through a frame/glass.

It's breaking cardinal rule #1 in autograph authentication, authenticating something that you have not inspected closely, with foregin material between you and the autograph.

Why not just authenticate by scans then?

It inconveniences people too much to take something out of a frame or ask someone that they remove it out from the frame, so they cut corner number one and just authenticate it through the frame or ballcube or where-ever the autograph is hiding.

This is never a good practice and never proper procedure. And the excuse that they have high powered tools is just a bunch of baloney. You have to look at an autograph up close -UNOBSTRUCTED. PERIOD!

I would never do it this way but then again I would never issue a certificate of authenticity for an autograph of which no exemplars exist either like they have done. I guess it's a different set of safeguards and policies and procedures or lack thereof that I am not familiar with that allows these things to happen with no outcry or concern from the collecting public. It's because the average collector just wants the certs and they couldn't really care less if someone is looking at something through a frame, or if the autograph is real or not.

They want the cert, the company accomodates their wish and authenticates with as little effort required to actually get a good look at the autograph i.e. in the frame/behind the glass. Take a few minutes and take it out of the frame. It's authenticating an autograph as real or not for heaven's sake!

I call it pajama authentication. Some collectors don't want to get out of their pajamas and want their certs now.

What if the autograph is in a shadowbox 16 inches deep? Just crank up the hubble telescope!

I am on record saying the practice of doing it this way stinks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
from facebook,

Are you able to authenticate a Jersey that's already inside a custom frame?
LikeUnlike · · February 5 at 3:15pm ·

James Spence Authentication Hi Sergio,

Yes, we have high powered magnification tools designed to authenticate the autograph through the glass/plastic. Please be aware that we do not accept framed items through the mail, only at our on-site locations.

Fuddjcal
02-23-2012, 02:12 PM
this practice is moronic and unacceptable. That's not what you pay them to do...It should be stopped immediately.

David Atkatz
02-23-2012, 02:49 PM
What? And lose all those authentication fees from people who don't want to remove their memorabilia from their frames?

Think again.