PDA

View Full Version : Finished my W512 Baseball Subjects Set!

t206blogcom
02-22-2012, 06:27 PM
I've finished my W512 (baseball subjects only) set! :D I picked up the last card (Scott - Chicago) last month, but was waiting for it to come back from SGC. I know strip cards and W512s in particular don't get a lot of love, but I think it's a great set of HOFs and stars that you can put together for a reasonable price.

I'm trying to find a wall mounted case that'll hold these 16 SGC graded cards, but can't seem to find an exact match. Any suggestions other than building one myself?

http://www.t206blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/W512-Baseball-Series-Final-Set-SGC-Graded-Web.jpg

Moonlight Graham
02-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Personally, I love strip cards and your completed set is awesome! Congratulations! Check ebay for the wall mounted displays-i think there's one that holds 16.

Leon
02-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Congrats Jason. Always good to finish a project. Seems like the chase is half the fun sometimes. Now onto the next :).

02-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Awesome set Jason! What's next?

Pup6913
02-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Nice set and a lot of HOF'ers also

FrankWakefield
02-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Well I'm impressed. I lack one of the Cobb's, and my Ruth is silhouette-trimmed, along the shoulders and around the head. I think the bottom of the card is all there. Maybe that will make you feel better about your Ruth. It is a Ruth card, contemporary with his playing days. I don't doubt some folks who might poo-poo it have nary a Ruth card themselves...

W512's; it's an odd little set, one that shows the big trade of Frisch for Hornsby, having both with the Giants and the Cardinals... And Glen Wright is in there, in his day, early in his career, he was among the best players in the game; and realistically a forgotten name today.

There was a time that I thought the strip cards lowly, ugly, not even real cards. Just trash. Gradually, I developed a liking for them. I think seeing those Blacksox players in the W514 set got me to liking them. And these were cards that were truly for kids... gotta love that. W512's are a great starting point, especially if completion is desired.

I've seen several folks chase W512's who were lukewarm on W513's... but that might be 'what's next'.

Thanks for posting.

pariah1107
02-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Great set of w512's! With all the variations too! Very nice.

t206blogcom
02-23-2012, 05:27 AM
Thanks everyone for their comments and feedback. It was a great set to put together and the variations made it a challenge at times. I highly recommend it as a good starter set or one to pursue if you're on a tighter budget.

As for my next project, as some of you already know, I'm chasing the monster. I have 15 cards to go (sans the big 4)! :)