PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else find cards in an old farmhouse?

David W
02-22-2012, 01:35 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/michigan-family-discovers-rarest-football-card-collection-history-183541108.html

clamendo
02-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Enjoy the show.....

http://www.fox17online.com/news/fox17-holy-grail-of-football-cards-found-in-michigan-farmhouse

brownscollector78
02-22-2012, 03:04 PM
very very cool...I must be living wrong, I never get lucky like that ! :)

jefferyepayne
02-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Ok, that's it. I need to start ransacking old farmhouses again ...

What a find. How many more Dunlop's are hiding out there? Still looking for mine.

jeff

jefferyepayne
02-24-2012, 04:51 AM
I did dig through my parents attic recently because there were two sets of cards from my childhood that I remembered having but don't have in my current collection: 1974-76 Sugar Daddy and Football cards from the Milton Bradley Pro Draft game. I was pretty sure I'd find the Pro Draft cards since I figured my mother kept all of our old games but had no clue what happened to the Sugar Daddy cards.

As is usually the case, it turned out completely different than expected. I quickly find a envelop in a bag of old stuff from my room that had the Sugar Daddy cards in it but when I opened up the Pro Draft game box, the cards were not there. I probably mixed them into my '74 set and now have to dig through my old doubles one by one to find them again.

A project for a rainy day...

jeff

loubrown
02-26-2012, 10:42 AM
I was fortunate enough to be the place that the lucky folks who found this contacted. I understand that there are 9 graded examples (soon to be 10). Any estimate as to how many exist total? The media from this has generated a lot of phone calls with other great stuff.

And as it turns out, lightning does strike twice. In September, I had someone come in with a nice group of 1969 Topps FB racks. A box/group of 24 is soon to be offered in the next Mile High auction. They too were cleaning up an attic and found the rare packs. Makes me wonder what's next!

Publius
02-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Lou, great interview!

Guesses are, about fifteen total accounted for Dunlops total, that includes the graded examples.

Nice looking example, my guess is it gets an Authentic or at best MC grade as the bottom is trimmed for some reason. Great card nonetheless, I'd buy it

Where is it being auctioned and when, do you know?

loubrown
02-28-2012, 09:19 PM
The card will be in the REA auction in May. Still waiting to hear the outcome from SGC. I'm very curious how it will do. It shows a lot nicer than the example that sold in the Goodwin auction in 2009 which went for $12K and was an extremely unattractive PSA 1 with paper loss and very dirty. This one shows great but if it ends up being graded as Authentic, I'm wondering which is the more desirable card. I guess time will tell.

clamendo
03-01-2012, 09:28 PM
I gave this entire set to SGC that a guy had put away for 20 years. One card wasn't cut square (see picture) it was obviously done at the factory, maybe the sheet moved who knows. After a heated debate SGC told me that it doesn't matter when or how it was done and gave it an "A". So, if they are as consistent as they say...you will get an "A" - Authentic. Time will tell.

Publius
03-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Nice card Carl!