PDA

View Full Version : Should I cross-over BVG to SGC flip?

HOF Auto Rookies
02-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Hey folks, just picked up this card on ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/120727887564?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It is a BVG 4.5 (I don't really know how reputable a BVG flip is on a T206 compared to the more popular SGC). I think that I got this at a great price, even for the grade, but regardless of the grade, I really like and enjoy the card, which is most important to me.

This is my 3rd T206, sadly my collection of T206's went from 50% signed to 33% lol. So I don't really know too much about cross-overs or how reliable a BVG flip is with the grade to cross it over at an SGC 4.5.

I love the look of the T206 in an SGC, the black border on the white card, but if later on, if I'm forced my hand in selling this card, the BVG 4.5 is more valuable than let's say an SGC 3...So would this cross-over to a SGC 4.5?

Thanks!

christopher.herman
02-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Sharp card at a fair price. Nice pick up.
Not only is BVG very reputable, I find they are tough graders.
Expect at least a half grade bump if you flip to SGC.
Crack it out and enjoy it. Save your money for more cards.
~C.

HOF Auto Rookies
02-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Sharp card at a fair price. Nice pick up.
Not only is BVG very reputable, I find they are tough graders.
Expect at least a half grade bump if you flip to SGC.
Crack it out and enjoy it. Save your money for more cards.
~C.

Thank you. Yeah $40 for a card in that condition for being 110+ years old, I'm not complaining lol. Yes they have a reputation for being strict, just didn't know if that translated to the T206's.

So it could get to an SGC 60-70 at best? Wow, that would be great. When I get the card, I'll post scans of the front and back for a better image.

It almost looks as if at the top of the card, there is slightly an overprint of another players' name on it...IMO

frankbmd
02-21-2012, 04:38 PM
I own 28 BVG 4.5 T206 commons for which I paid an average of $60.41. If I had seen this auction, I would have been a bidder. Agree with Chris about BVG grading in general. Pop reports for both graders suggest a similar distribution of grades for any given card. Mine are going to stay in BVG holders. I am not a cracker and I am not a flipper. I try to buy the best card at the right price. You have done that. If you do cross-over, you would get a comparable grade from SGC on the average. However, SGC does not have a 4.5 equivalent, so I would expect it to cross over at either the 50 or 60 level. There is no guarantee obviously. Good luck with your collection and let me know before you steal another BVG card.

HOF Auto Rookies
02-21-2012, 05:08 PM
I own 28 BVG 4.5 T206 commons for which I paid an average of $60.41. If I had seen this auction, I would have been a bidder. Agree with Chris about BVG grading in general. Pop reports for both graders suggest a similar distribution of grades for any given card. Mine are going to stay in BVG holders. I am not a cracker and I am not a flipper. I try to buy the best card at the right price. You have done that. If you do cross-over, you would get a comparable grade from SGC on the average. However, SGC does not have a 4.5 equivalent, so I would expect it to cross over at either the 50 or 60 level. There is no guarantee obviously. Good luck with your collection and let me know before you steal another BVG card.

Thanks for the kind words. It was a buy-it-now or best offer, and it was for $69 I believe, and threw an offer of $35 to see what happens, and he messaged me saying add $5 more and it's yours. Thought what the heck, can't pass it up.

I absolutely hate selling cards, I love them too much as each is different with a different story. I wouldn't mind the higher grade, but I bought because I like the card, and enjoy it and the condition it's in, even if it were raw.

Haha sorry for stealing this from ya.

glchen
02-21-2012, 06:43 PM
For any card under $100, I wouldn't bother crossing over. The cost of the crossover would easily take away any extra value the card would gain from being in an SGC holder. Of course, if you want all of your cards in nice looking SGC holders, that's a different story...

shaunsteig
02-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Interesting questions that you pose here. Generally speaking, values for the same grade would favor PSA > SGC >> BVG. Having said that, there's variation in how a given grade for one TPG would cross-over to another TPG. I've seen enough variation within a given TPG that it'd be a little hard to say how a given card would score when crossed over. And other posters have commented on prior threads that crossing over sometimes gets graded a little more harshly than the same card might if submitted raw, as if the second TPG wishes to prove a point that they grade to a harsher standard. I submitted several T206s to PSA that were BVG 4.5, and a few crossed over at 4s while the others wouldn't cross over at my minimum grade (usually one lower or the same as the BVG grade).

With this particular card, the name is cut off at the bottom and there does seem to be part of another card's name at the top. So, if submitted to PSA, it would get a MK qualifier. As for SGC, they don't specifically qualify cards or penalize for the miscut, but by the same token I would find it hard for the card to grade too high with that degree of off-centering top-bottom. I'd say 60 is overly optimisted, 50 most likely, but even 40 possibly. Plus, there's no view of the card's back.

If you do submit it for cross-over, please share the outcome. I'd be most curious to find out how SGC treated it.

Thanks,
--S

p.s. nice pickup for the price, well done...

tbob
02-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Leave it in the BVG holder unless your plan is to sell it. PSA brings the highest prices but SGC grades more accurately IMHO, unless you have a great looking card with slight back damage (even on blank backed cards) in which case they generally skewer you with the low grade. I believe BVG grades very fairly all-around but their holders just don't have the eye appeal of the SGC slabs.

npa589
02-22-2012, 06:05 AM
BVG may not have the eye appeal, but if you do plan to crack it out, get a sledgehammer, protective goggles, and wear a long-sleeved shirt. They're small safes.

HOF Auto Rookies
02-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Thanks folks, yea I plan on keeping it in BVG if the grade won't transfer. Just like the SGC case a lot better, but with the over-print etc idk if it would, but that pretty much answered my question.

Thanks!

nebboy
02-22-2012, 11:55 AM
I do like to buy BVG when I see one that seems to be graded low and regrade. But only when it's worth the money to do so.

HOF Auto Rookies
02-22-2012, 12:25 PM
I do like to buy BVG when I see one that seems to be graded low and regrade. But only when it's worth the money to do so.

wow, nice bump!