PDA

View Full Version : Under graded? The overused term.

Delray Vintage
02-19-2012, 12:30 PM
I see sellers frequently refer to cards as under graded. I think anyone who uses this term should re-submit their cards to another service or the original grading company. Instead they think the buyer will pay more if they dangle that term before us. While some cards are under graded, most are accurate, and might be off at most by half a grade if it is older PSA.

I see one ebay seller with a 55 Koufax 8 he says is under graded and a 55 clemente 7 he says is "way under graded." Both are way over priced!

HRBAKER
02-19-2012, 01:16 PM
I see sellers frequently refer to cards as under graded. I think anyone who uses this term should re-submit their cards to another service or the original grading company. Instead they think the buyer will pay more if they dangle that term before us. While some cards are under graded, most are accurate, and might be off at most by half a grade if it is older PSA.

I see one ebay seller with a 55 Koufax 8 he says is under graded and a 55 clemente 7 he says is "way under graded." Both are way over priced!

They were most likely accurately graded or slightly "overgraded" when he bought them if they were slabbed. Just the way it works, sellers have been puffing since the beginning of time.
Would agree, very overused term.

Saw an auction or something the other day that made me laugh, "High end "3," probably should be a "3.5." Now that's some funny stuff.

Fred
02-19-2012, 01:26 PM
This all boils down to paying for a stupid number on the top right side of a TPG flip. Pretty soon you'll see sellers trying to convince people that graded cards should be given the benefit of the doubt to be a full (or even half) number grade higher and that the buyer should pay for this possibility... try to flip it on them and tell them it could be a half/full grade lower and you could find yourself on their banned bidder list... like the real collectors say, "buy the card, not the holder".

danmckee
02-19-2012, 01:51 PM
This all boils down to paying for a stupid number on the top right side of a TPG flip. ".

Very well stated!

sycks22
02-19-2012, 02:16 PM
The best description I saw the person stated "We feel this card is vastly over graded". I love the honesty the seller had. It is crazy how much more a 8.5 someone will pay over an 8.

3-2-count
02-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
This all boils down to paying for a stupid number on the top right side of a TPG flip. ".

Very well stated!

Very well stated indeed!!

steve B
02-19-2012, 02:52 PM
I was looking at a card on ebay that is PSA 3 and trimmed. To the sellers credit he states very clearly that it is trimmed and if resubmitted will not get a number grade.

I have cards I think are a grade or two under. I'd probably resubmit them if I was selling.

But if I was a dealr and selling hundreds of cards saying somethin is under graded just might attract speculators who'd buy to resubmit. And out of hundreds, I don't think there would be many that I'd take the time to resubmit.

The "high end 3" thing is hilarious. I can only think of a handful of sets where a 3 would be a really nice example, and they wouldn't need the hype.

Steve B

kcohen
02-19-2012, 06:56 PM
This assertion is made with certain BST offerings. You know who you are and it's really tedious.

Ken Cohen

Big Ben
02-19-2012, 07:31 PM
I also laugh at sellers on ebay who state that a card is under graded while at the same time providing a blurry scan?:rolleyes:

marcdelpercio
02-20-2012, 10:22 AM
I have stated that I thought cards were either undergraded or overgraded if I felt that was the case. To me, it is an encouragement to get a potential buyer or trade partner to consider the actual card, not just what the holder says.

I sell and trade both raw and graded cards and try to give as accurate a description of condition as possible on both. Despite the many (often legitimate) complaints about TPG services, I find that they are generally right on target the vast majority of the time. On occasions when I feel that they are not, however, I make a note of that in my description.