PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Finds! 1945 Yankees Opening Day Ticket! Landis / Wrigley Postcard

jrlebert
02-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Hey all, I figured this was the right place to post this, although I am not sure.

I recently bought a huge box of old postcards at a garage sale (maybe 500 postcards), and after going through the whole box, I kept two things from it, and gave the rest to my friend.

The first, I found another picture HERE (http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1234473309/last-1235151246/neat+(post)cards) of a different postcard that is almost the same, but not. I have no idea the year, or value, and any info would be greatly appreciated. Mine is unused, but creased.

Judge Landis / William Wrigley, Jr. Catalina Island Postcard

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/jrlebert/For%20Sale%20or%20Trade/Vintage%20Baseball/LandisWrigleyPostcard.jpg

The second, I am pretty sure, is a used 1945 New York Yankees Opening Day ticket, from April 17, 1945. Did a little research on the game, and it was a New York Yankees win over their rival, the Boston Red Sox, 8-4. It was the major league debut for 4 players: Ben Steiner (2B - BOS), who had a HR, SB, and 5 total bases, and three players who played just one season (1945) in the bigs, Fred Walters (C - BOS), Otey Clark (RP - BOS), and Yankees SS Joe Buzas.

Hall of Famers Joe Cronin (BOS) and Joe McCarthy (NYY) were the managers, as well as Cronin slotting himself 5th in the batting order.

Atley Donald got the win for NYY, and Rex Cecil took the loss for Boston. Jim Turner got the first of what would be his 10 league leading saves for the Yankees.

Another neat note is that two of the umpires were long time major leaguers, George Pipgras, a member of the 1927 Yankees (as well as two other WS winning Yankees teams), and Eddie Rommel, 3rd all time with 171 wins for the Philadelphia Athletics, including 27 in 1922, and the 1929 WS.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/jrlebert/For%20Sale%20or%20Trade/Vintage%20Baseball/OpeningDay1945.jpg

Any info and pricing on either would be greatly appreciated! Shoot me an email at jrlebert@gmail.com if need be.

jrlebert
02-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Any help regarding origin of the postcard or value for either would be great!

Jaybird
02-18-2012, 10:42 PM
based on the stampbox, the postcard would be dated 1922-1926. Value is whatever anyone would pay for it. I'm guessing $50-75? I've seen similar postcards of Landis sell in that range, maybe a little more. But, hey, who knows. He was photographed quite a bit and there are many RPPCs of him.

No idea on the ticket.

Edited to add: Wrigley, besides the Cubs, owned the Los Angeles PCL team so that's why he would have been in CAtalina. I believe I've seen postcards of Cubs training on Catalina as well. If you don't know, Catalina is an island a few miles off shore of Los Angeles. The little photographers bug says Avalon, Calif. Avalon is the port city on the island of Catalina.

jrlebert
02-19-2012, 03:14 PM
based on the stampbox, the postcard would be dated 1922-1926. Value is whatever anyone would pay for it. I'm guessing $50-75? I've seen similar postcards of Landis sell in that range, maybe a little more. But, hey, who knows. He was photographed quite a bit and there are many RPPCs of him.

No idea on the ticket.

Edited to add: Wrigley, besides the Cubs, owned the Los Angeles PCL team so that's why he would have been in CAtalina. I5 believe I've seen postcards of Cubs training on Catalina as well. If you don't know, Catalina is an island a few miles off shore of Los Angeles. The little photographers bug says Avalon, Calif. Avalon is the port city on the island of Catalina.

Yeah, I'm actually really familiar with the Wrigley influence on Catalina. I live in Los Angeles, and a friend has a house on Catalina. I was pretty excited to find a PC that I actually knew the back story on. If I remember correctly, there is also one of those little books that Barnes and Noble sells tons of about local histories of places on Catalina and Baseball, or something like that.

Still looking for any info on the ticket, especially value.

slidekellyslide
02-19-2012, 03:26 PM
I've got a postcard on ebay right now of the SS Catalina..I did a little research before listing it and found that Wrigley owned the steamer...you can see a "W" on the smoke stack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320850928886?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_1267wt_1185

jrlebert
02-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Pretty neat PC!

jrlebert
02-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Still trying for value or rarity on the ticket...

slidekellyslide
02-20-2012, 04:23 PM
J.R. perhaps you should post this over on the memorabilia side..we have some ticket collectors over there that will most likely answer your questions...I do know that opening day tickets are pretty desirable..and a Yankees/Red Sox one is going to be an easy sell.

jrlebert
02-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Will do! Thanks for the input.