PDA

View Full Version : Pawn Stars card for monday

Pup6913
02-17-2012, 02:26 PM
What is the card shown on the new advertisement for Mondays Pawn Stars episode? Looks like a red cobb port maybe or a ?????????? Any guesses if you have seen it. I cant find an online link and only got a glance. Anyone think it real and he is gonna overpay?

t206hound
02-17-2012, 02:32 PM
I haven't seen the ad, but around a year ago I took SGC10s of Cobb (Bat Off) and Young (Bare Hand) into the shop. I was gonna tell them I wanted a grand, and see what they would offer. The guys behind the counter (no one you've ever seen on the show) told me that they never buy sports cards and he handed me the business card of local sports card shop.

vintagetoppsguy
02-17-2012, 03:14 PM
I haven't seen the ad, but around a year ago I took SGC10s of Cobb (Bat Off) and Young (Bare Hand) into the shop. I was gonna tell them I wanted a grand, and see what they would offer. The guys behind the counter (no one you've ever seen on the show) told me that they never buy sports cards and he handed me the business card of local sports card shop.

Didn't you have a thread about that? I think I remember reading that.

t206hound
02-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Didn't you have a thread about that? I think I remember reading that.

Yes... and I was incorrect. It was a Cobb Red and a Young Bare Hand
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=136741

Jaybird
02-17-2012, 03:57 PM
What is the card shown on the new advertisement for Mondays Pawn Stars episode? Looks like a red cobb port maybe or a ?????????? Any guesses if you have seen it. I cant find an online link and only got a glance. Anyone think it real and he is gonna overpay?

Pretty sure it was a E90-1 Young. Like this one...

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af353/jasonleemiller/1909e90cyyoung.gif

packs
02-17-2012, 04:26 PM
If that Young is the card my guess is the "expert" will tell them it's worth $2,000 retail and they will buy it for $600.

Jaybird
02-17-2012, 04:45 PM
From the History Channel Site:

Pawnocchio

Premiere Date: 02/20/2012

The Pawn Stars feel their noses growing when some hand crafted Pinocchio dolls walk in the shop. Will the guys pull some strings and make this deal happen, or get tangled up in a rough negotiation? Then, a guy brings in a Cy Young baseball card from 1909. Potentially worth thousands, will Rick play hard ball for this rare item, or is this deal out of his league? And later, a guy comes in with a harmonica that once belonged to Aerosmith front man Steven Tyler. Can they make a deal with some Sweet Emotion, or will they tell the customer to Walk This Way right out of the shop?

TVPG

jcmtiger
02-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Look, these are Pawn Shops, why would you bring a painting , old gun, vintage car, Lincoln Autograph, baseball card to a pawn shop. Sell in an auction, these shows are all made up for tv.

Joe

Jaybird
02-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Look, these are Pawn Shops, why would you bring a painting , old gun, vintage car, Lincoln Autograph, baseball card to a pawn shop. Sell in an auction, these shows are all made up for tv.

Joe

yup.

E93
02-17-2012, 10:41 PM

Joe

At this point people do it to get on tv.
JimB

martyp
02-17-2012, 11:30 PM
I received this email yesterday.

Marty,
Bray Entertainment, co-creators of "Pawn Stars," wants to give StorageTreasures members the opportunity to star in a new reality show about garage sales.
The show tracks several Pickers as they comb the country picking treasures to sell at an Extraordinary Garage Sale.

They are looking for Pickers with personality, experience and a lot of energy.
We told them they need look no further.

Here's their wish list - but they are willing to color outside the lines:

Pickers with a picking partner preferred (submit separate videos)
30 - 60 years young
In Texas or the South
Pick for a living
"Rough appearance" .... tattoos welcome!
Southern accent preferred
To apply, create a casting video with your name, age, location & picking history.
Also address the following....and remember,
they are looking for energy, excitement, passion and charisma.

How did you become a picker?
What's your favorite thing about picking?
Tell a story about a favorite find or funny circumstance!
Introduce a few of your favorite items & their background stories!
Teach them! Prove you're an expert!
Be sure to capture your personality & the environment you live and work in!

Submit your videos by Monday February 20th!

To upload your video go to http://www.brayentertainment.com/casting.php#
Name: braycasting
Password: casting
Questions? Email casting@brayentertainment.com

Hooking You Up,
Your Storage Treasures Crew

Check us out on Facebook & Twitter for weekly Giveaways!
Please do NOT reply to this message. If you would like to contact us please use contact@storagetreasures.com

teetwoohsix
02-18-2012, 07:54 AM
I picked "call in an expert".

If they do call in an expert, they will probably call in one of the guys from Ultimate Sports Cards & Memorabilia, a local card shop. Very nice guys in there, that's where I picked up the Nicholls T206 with the miscut SC back. They had a sign on the storefront that said "as seen on Pawn Stars" or something like that.

On a side note, I drove by that pawn shop a couple of weeks ago and there was a HUGE line to get in there, it went from the front door all the way around and down the street.......

Sincerely, Clayton

danmckee
02-18-2012, 08:29 AM
These shows are all staged guys. Use some common sense. There is a youtube video of the Gehrig jersey they bought for $1500 that is fake and is still for sale by Coach's corner though pawn stars supposedly bought it.

BobbyVCP
02-18-2012, 08:58 AM
I agree it is staged there is no way any store let alone one in Vegas can have that much stuff just walk in the door all the time.

When they get bigger items and the experts tell them the value is Auction value their line to the person is Auctions take 40% of the sale and they have to wait 3-4 months to get paid. So their offers are usually about 1/2 and of course say they can give them cash right now.

alanu
02-18-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm sure a lot of things are staged for TV, but if someone does bring in something interesting off the street they ask the seller to bring in back at a time when it can be filmed for TV, I would imagine at that time they have the "expert" all set up so they can give the time the "expert" and the pawn guys some time to so some research so they all look very knowledgeable (sp?) about the item.

RichardSimon
02-18-2012, 11:27 AM
To borrow and append the signature file of Andrew:

Maybe PSA stands for:

"Please Submit Again"
"Pretty Sh!tty Assesment"
"Pretty Stinkin Awful"
"Please Smoke Another"
"PLEASE STOP AUTHENTICATING"

Pup6913
02-18-2012, 11:43 AM

Maybe PSA stands for:

"Please Submit Again"
"Pretty Stinkin Awful"
"Please Smoke Another"
"PLEASE STOP AUTHENTICATING"

dually noted and added

02-18-2012, 03:18 PM
I think that danmckee would say "Please Stop Authenticating, Somebody Got Cheated By Valuing Grading."

02-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Well that was a letdown.

vintagetoppsguy
02-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Well that was a letdown.

Details please for those of us that didn't watch?

Texxxx
02-20-2012, 08:33 PM
So who is the 1 winner that voted "Overpay"?

02-20-2012, 08:34 PM
It was an AUT* (corner missing) E90-1 Young. Rick (over)paid $300 for it.

*it was raw

02-20-2012, 08:37 PM

That's only the second time I can remember Rick overpaying for something - at least it was authentic this time. :)

smulvihill
02-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Rick bought it for $300 then had an expert come in and he valued it at $200-250

Leon
02-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Yeap, Rick paid 300 for a piece of crap. I would guess it was 75-125 in auction....max would be 150......it was missing the lower corner....about a half an inch of the corner AND it looked like a bicycle spoke card to boot. It was that rough. Not like this one....

tbob
02-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Not only was it missing the bottom right corner, the card was severely creased, a bad PSA 1 even with the corner. I can see it maybe getting the estimated $200-250 tops on ebay though, so the guy from the card shop who specializes in shiney cards and autographed footballs, probably got the value right.
Mr. Authority on Everything, Rick the Pan Shop owner made the comment that most of the baseball cards aren't worth the stock they are printed on but this is Cy Young. If he is talking about baseball cards from the 80's, 90's and beyond, he has a point. If he is talking about other pre-war cards of the E90-1 era, he is a bigger buffoon that I think he is....

batsballsbases
02-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Rick might have been better off buying the Yank mags. that were shown at the start of the program if you noticed as he was thumbing thru there was a nice picture of Babe Ruth and an article. Even if he paid a buck each for the mags I think he would have made out better than that Young which looked like it went thru the meat grinder!

sycks22
02-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Did anyone noticed that the "expert" never once said what the card was? I also love how Rick said "this card in mint condition would bring $10k" Probably a little more than that Rick.

bn2cardz
02-21-2012, 08:53 AM

I voted overpay. I voted that without ever seeing the preview. It was based on their lack of knowledge of sports related items. It wasn't an autograph so I didn't think he would bring in an expert. There was one show where Rick said something along the lines of if he thinks it is less than a $1000 then he doesn't feel he needs an expert.

Leon
02-21-2012, 09:08 AM
I voted overpay. I voted that without ever seeing the preview. It was based on their lack of knowledge of sports related items. It wasn't an autograph so I didn't think he would bring in an expert. There was one show where Rick said something along the lines of if he thinks it is less than a $1000 then he doesn't feel he needs an expert.

Rick said that cards were inserted with cigarettes back in the day, as advertising. Of course that is true but they were looking at a Caramel Card. He also said his expert was out that week and that is when he started the haggling with the guy. I think the seller made a good deal.

danmckee
02-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Come on guys, Rick never bought that card, the same producers do Pawn Stars that filmed the new Ball Boys in baltimore. They bought stuff that you will see the original ownere still owns to this day :). Show airs March 24th on ABC.

ullmandds
02-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Sheesh...you guys are a bunch of pit bulls!!!! How many of you out there are truly experts on all baseball cards ever made...let alone everything ever made.

Rick owns a pawn shop...not a vintage bb card ebay store...he can't be expected to be an expert on everything in the world?!

barrysloate
02-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Am I the only one here who hasn't seen this show?

bn2cardz
02-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Rick said that cards were inserted with cigarettes back in the day, as advertising. Of course that is true but they were looking at a Caramel Card. He also said his expert was out that week and that is when he started the haggling with the guy. I think the seller made a good deal.

HAHA. I didn't watch the episode, but that falls in line with the idea that he doesn't know anything about sports related items. Maybe he is ignorant about other things on the show, but so am I so I don't catch those problems as quickly.

I know it is all set up for tv, but if it is going to be on the HISTORY channel they should really make sure the things being said are factual. They are taking the time to edit the show to give it some type of story line, they might as well make sure that it is edited to give facts about HISTORY. The HISTORY channel is quickly turning to the "FICTIONAL Reality TV" channel.

mintacular
02-21-2012, 10:25 AM
If you own the E90-1 Young now might be a good time to sell on eBay, I guarantee that card earns a little more "cache" w/casual collectors who might bid up one so they can say "Hey Honey, look at this Cy Younger card I bought on eBay that was on Pawn Stars..."

bn2cardz
02-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Sheesh...you guys are a bunch of pit bulls!!!! How many of you out there are truly experts on all baseball cards ever made...let alone everything ever made.

Rick owns a pawn shop...not a vintage bb card ebay store...he can't be expected to be an expert on everything in the world?!

Rick went from being someone that just "owns a pawn shop" to a TV star that is giving out information to the masses on his very own show on a channel that is suppose to be known for HISTORY facts.

I am ignorant but I also know it and don't go on TV talking about the things I don't know as if they are fact. I have no problems with Rick admitting when he doesn't know something and says that he needs to have expert explain it to him. It is when he acts confident about something and leaves out qualifiers like "I think" or "it is possible". I did not see this episode so I am only talking from the general sense of watching the show not from this particular episode.

scooter729
02-21-2012, 10:38 AM
If you own the E90-1 Young now might be a good time to sell on eBay, I guarantee that card earns a little more "cache" w/casual collectors who might bid up one so they can say "Hey Honey, look at this Cy Younger card I bought on eBay that was on Pawn Stars..."

Geez, if that's the case, I better get these two 'beauties' of mine listed ASAP!

tbob
02-21-2012, 10:41 AM
I have heard that what happens is if someone brings something unique or off-beat in to the shop, they have them come back later to film it while Rick immediately gets on the internet to look it up on Wikipedia and then spills his "knowledge" on the seller for the show. His "knowledge" of the LaMat revolver came straight from Wikipedia....

brownscollector78
02-21-2012, 02:05 PM
The show might be hollywooded up for TV but I still like the show. I watch it every monday

toppcat
02-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Rick went from being someone that just "owns a pawn shop" to a TV star that is giving out information to the masses on his very own show on a channel that is suppose to be known for HISTORY facts.

I am ignorant but I also know it and don't go on TV talking about the things I don't know as if they are fact. I have no problems with Rick admitting when he doesn't know something and says that he needs to have expert explain it to him. It is when he acts confident about something and leaves out qualifiers like "I think" or "it is possible". I did not see this episode so I am only talking from the general sense of watching the show not from this particular episode.

History Channel has very little history on it these days. All of the pawn and storage locker shows are staged, some more than others but I believe any of the negotiations over items that take place are reasonably close recreations of the actual deal. There must be many takes shot on some of these shows of certain scenes-they are all just too perfect. You have to remember it's TV and it's edited for entertainment value.

Having said that, I do enjoy Pawn Stars, Auction Hunters and Storage Wars; my 16 year old daughter likes the last two as well. I have also started watching American Pickers,although they cannot make a living on some of the deals they make; I assume they just show highlights and often times buy far more than is shown on the program.

Leon
02-21-2012, 02:15 PM
The show might be hollywooded up for TV but I still like the show. I watch it every monday

My family and I love the show and watch it all of the time. I would imagine it is 100% rigged.....but still very fun to watch.

Mikehealer
02-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Am I the only one here who hasn't seen this show?

No.

Texxxx
02-21-2012, 07:10 PM
I love watching the show. I know most of it is set up. He has to get burned some to make it real. I like looking at some of the stuff they bring in and I really like how the 4 of them talk to each other. I loved it when Chumlee threw the bowling ball into the back of the bowling alley and broke the glass when he thought no one was watching.

tbob
02-21-2012, 07:28 PM

+1. It's addictive. I don't watch much TV but I am addicted to Storage Wars, Pawn Stars and Shipping Wars.

matty6
02-21-2012, 08:00 PM
My girlfriend and I barely watch real TV anymore. It's Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, Auction Hunters, Storage Hunters, American Pickers, Restaurant Impossible, Kitchen Nightmares and Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives...

ScottFandango
02-23-2012, 08:57 AM

Maybe PSA stands for:

"Please Submit Again"
"Pretty Stinkin Awful"
"Please Smoke Another"
"PLEASE STOP AUTHENTICATING"\

why did this post feel like a POP UP AD?

nothing like a random PSA hater post in the middle of nowhere....

stay classy

Vintagedegu
02-23-2012, 09:36 AM
-