PDA

View Full Version : 1920's??? N173 Display

yanks12025
02-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Hello,
So I've posted about these only acouple times, So figured it's time to get your guys thoughts about these more.

So some background for people who have never seen these before. Originally I bought 3 of these years ago and sold them through Mastros. Couple years later I was able to buy them back and some time after that I found two more in a auction acouple hours away. I believe these once were all together because they have the same hand writing under the photos.

Now the photo's used are from the goodwin series. People in the hobby believe these were used for the 50th ann of the National League, in past auction listings thy have been listed at either 1920's or 1930's. Does anyone here know more info behind these pieces???

In researching the players on the display, 99% of the players played for the team listed on the display in 1888. So wouldn't that rule them out being used for the 50th ann of the National League. Why select players from teams two years later, plus some of these teams weren't in the National league?

I still looking for more of these to add to my collection, I'd love to get the set(guessing I own the most right now at 5). I know there's a Washington one, but it's not for sale. And I know back in the Halper sale in 1999 they sold a lot of three. But I'm not sure what teams they were (Does anyone have a photo of the lot?), and there's one in a museum in LA. Thanks and looking forward to your guys ideas behind these. boblee89@yahoo.com

jcmtiger
02-15-2012, 10:45 PM
These are great photos, but pretty sure they are not 1880's production. Pretty sure there have been posts about these in the past.

Joe

yanks12025
02-16-2012, 05:59 AM
These are great photos, but pretty sure they are not 1880's production. Pretty sure there have been posts about these in the past.

Joe

Joe,
I know they're not from the 1880's, second I said there has been a couple posts before about them. But never asking people for their thoughts! Someone has to know more/history about them.

Joe_G.
02-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Hello Brock,

I really don't know what to make of these pieces. I have studied them over the years but can't add much. Their production date could be on or near the 50th anniversary of the NL (1876 - 1926) but we cannot be sure. Whoever pulled them together didn't do a very good job researching team names. Some are listed by modern name such as the Tigers while others by names that pre-date the photos (Knickerbockers) etc. The re-printed images are all based on either the Goodwin & Co. cabinets from 1888 & 1889 or studio proofs that could span a wider range of dates. Most of the photos were first taken in 1887 and first appeared as cards in 1887 as N172s. The players selected seem to be more a function of who they could find from each team vs picking the best players to represent the team.

I also find the team selection strange if this were really attempting to commemmorate the NL's 50th. The St. Louis Browns were an American Association team that jumped to the NL in 1892, why show AA photos? Also, why pick a team, Detroit, that was only briefly in the NL (1881-1888). The American League Detroit Tigers (1901-present) do not have ties to the older NL team.

These may be more about celebrating "old time" baseball of the 1880s, an era well documented in photo, than anything else.