PDA

View Full Version : No Philly March Hunt Card Show

JamesGallo
02-14-2012, 11:14 AM
I am surprised no one is talking about this. The show has been canceled and they don't expect to make it up so the next show I believe is September?

From the email I got they are having a lot of problems with the construction and are looking possibly for a new location.

We will see how things go but this could be a huge turning point for this show.

James G

bcbgcbrcb
02-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the update, Jim.

dog*dirt
02-14-2012, 12:49 PM
I heard the show is cancelled and no rescheduled date will be set. I feel bad for those who maybe were planning a nice weekend and booked their room already.

kcohen
02-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Karma?

e107collector
02-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Karma?

It very well may be!

Tony

HRBAKER
02-14-2012, 05:26 PM
I am assuming it is cancelled for both those allowed to set up and those that aren't. :rolleyes: Sorry, too easy.

Leon
02-14-2012, 05:30 PM
I am assuming it is cancelled for both those allowed to set up and those that aren't. :rolleyes: Sorry, too easy.

Low hanging fruit.

x2drich2000
02-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Since the CSA Jersey Show is that same weekend, is anyone thinking of going there instead? It looks like it is more of an autograph show, so I'm curious what to expect regarding cards.

DJ

HRBAKER
02-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Low hanging fruit.

Yep, didn't even have to get out of the chair for that one. :p

e107collector
02-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Maybe they can bring the show back to the old Ft Washington site? Those shows were always great.

If they want to stay in PA, the Mohegan Sun Arena in Wilkes Barre is a nice size complex, and they host a lot of different shows throughout the year.

Just my 2 cents.

Tony

jbsports33
02-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the update, I thought about taking a ride down!

Jimmy

JamesGallo
02-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Maybe they can bring the show back to the old Ft Washington site?

They tore that down which is why it moved to Reading.

They apprently are looking at the Oaks and the Philly convention center in the city.

I see this as a possible out, once you miss a show it may be hard to get it back up and running again....

James G

Buythatcard
02-15-2012, 09:11 AM
As of yesterday afternoon, Cheryl Goyda of Hunt Auctions said that they should know by the end of Weds whether a new date was selected for the show.

Vintageclout
02-15-2012, 11:31 AM
The "Phillyshow.org" website has posted a June 8 - 10 re-schedule date for the Valley Forge show. I checked with Hunt Auctions and that is 100% accurate so I guess the show will go on!

Joe T.

Leon
02-15-2012, 11:55 AM
so I guess the show will go on!

Joe T.

Unless you set up at a show that David Hunt doesn't allow. Then the show doesn't go on (for you).

Jewish-collector
02-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the update. I was getting ready soon to plan my trip up to that show.

tedzan
02-15-2012, 02:59 PM
The "Phillyshow.org" website has posted a June 8 - 10 re-schedule date for the Valley Forge show. I checked with Hunt Auctions and that is 100% accurate so I guess the show will go on!

Joe T.

If this new date for the Valley Forge Show is set....then the CSA Show (April 27-29th) at the Oaks Convention Center will most likely gain in attendance.
Traditionally, collectors in the greater Philly area look forward to a BB card show in early Spring when the BB season starts.

T-Rex TED

kcohen
02-15-2012, 04:39 PM
If this new date for the Valley Forge Show is set....then the CSA Show (April 27-29th) at the Oaks Convention Center will most likely gain in attendance.
Traditionally, collectors in the greater Philly area look forward to a BB card show in early Spring when the BB season starts.

T-Rex TED

inshallah

JamesGallo
02-15-2012, 09:57 PM

T-Rex TED

Ted,

I am not sure if you missed the talk about the last Oaks show. From what I heard it was horrible and had about 1/3 less then the first show. I set up at the first one and didn't even know about the second until about 2months before the show. As a matter of fact I didn't even know a 3rd was planned. As far as I am concered I will not be at the oaks show as a dealer until it really turns around. I also know a lot of dealers got burned last time and won't be back so I don't know how that show can continue when the promoter doesn't even inform dealer of future shows. How will the public find out about the show?

James G

tedzan
02-16-2012, 07:29 AM
KEN, ole buddy....translation please ?

" inshallah "

TED Z

tedzan
02-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Ted,

I am not sure if you missed the talk about the last Oaks show. From what I heard it was horrible and had about 1/3 less then the first show.
James G

I set-up at both Oaks shows. Perhaps, I might be the exception here; however, I did really good selling, trading, and picking up cards at these Oaks shows.
"Really good" is a relative term.......prior to Oaks, I set-up at the first five VF shows, in which my experience did not equal either of these two Oaks shows.
Compound that poor experience at the VF shows with the excessive table fees of the VF shows, it was a losing proposition to continue doing the VF show.

Sure the attendance at Oaks doesn't match that of the Valley Forge (VF) show; but, most times the quality of collectors trumps the quantity of collectors
attending BB card shows.

Furthermore, the number of vintage card dealers at the Oaks show far out-numbers the dealers at the recent VF shows. Needless to say, this is a significant
factor in drawing the serious collectors to a show....and, certainly helps me in acquiring new cards for my collection.

Oaks show promoter, Marco, claims that he has been advertising in the Philadelphia papers. In my opinion, the fact that the VF show has preceded the Oaks
show has a lot to do with low attendance at Oaks.

Having said all that, it should be interesting to see what happens at the forthcoming Oaks show in April....since the VF show is not preceding Oaks this time.

TED Z

Jewish-collector
02-16-2012, 12:31 PM
I also heard the Oaks show last time was horrible. We will see if this one is any better.

danmckee
02-16-2012, 01:04 PM
I don't see another Oaks show scheduled. Am I missing something here?? Edison New Jersey is an option, it may be an autograph show but if enough of us go, we can turn that around.

How about the Pittsburgh show?

tedzan
02-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Check out the CSA website, it has the Oaks Show listed......

http://csashows.com/

Regards,

Ted Z

danmckee
02-16-2012, 01:34 PM
CSA's website has it listed......

http://csashows.com/

Regards,

Ted Z

really?? I see no date, no guests and a leftover from last time dealer list Ted.

Click on the other 2 shows then click tickets, you get dates and guests and everything
dan

tedzan
02-16-2012, 01:56 PM
It's 2 1/2 months away....let's give Marco some time....the show is scheduled for April 27 - 29th, it will go on.

Hope to see you there.

TED

Hankphenom
02-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Edison New Jersey is an option, it may be an autograph show but if enough of us go, we can turn that around.

I'll be there! Gary Sarnoff, also. I'm sure there will be other dealers from the cancelled VF show.
Hank Thomas

jefferyepayne
02-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Anyone planning to attend the CSA show in Chantilly, VA in March? Let me know.

From the buyers perspective, this show is great. I've heard varying opinions from sellers.

jeff

danmckee
02-16-2012, 06:58 PM
I can't do Chantilly unfortunately, it is my 50th birthday weekend and I bet my wife has something planned. :confused:

judsonhamlin
02-16-2012, 07:06 PM
I'll be at the Edison show - less than 20 minutes away, and the first decent local show in forever.

jefferyepayne
02-16-2012, 07:21 PM
You could step out for milk ...

jeff

I can't do Chantilly unfortunately, it is my 50th birthday weekend and I bet my wife has something planned. :confused:

danmckee
02-16-2012, 07:23 PM
I hope you are right about the Oaks show Ted, though I would have expected him to have signings booked by now. I don't even see a date. I will do it again if he has it, hell it was fun hanging out with Wonka Worm and Leon.

danmckee
02-16-2012, 07:30 PM
I have done that before!!! Stepped out for milk! But never for a full weekend! too funny!

ValKehl
02-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Dan - You need to re-think your priorities!! :D

Best,
Val

Leon
02-16-2012, 10:00 PM
I hope you are right about the Oaks show Ted, though I would have expected him to have signings booked by now. I don't even see a date. I will do it again if he has it, hell it was fun hanging out with Wonka Worm and Leon.

I had a blast last time Dan....I will definitely do another Oaks show but I am already going out of state this April to a volleyball tourney my 15 yr old daughter is in. .....

kcohen
02-17-2012, 05:12 AM

Congratulations Danny! You don't look a day over 70.

danmckee
02-17-2012, 06:43 AM
That is cool Leon! You can't miss that time, they grow up too fast!

Thanks Ken, I will take that as a true compliment since my liver is 80+