PDA

View Full Version : Just Got Cards Back From SGC

eliminator
02-13-2012, 07:59 PM
I just got eleven cards back from SGC and overall it was a good experience.

I received nice grades on a Colgan's Chips Evers, finally got my Red Sun Perdue graded (have owned for ten years), a few T206's a E90C Donahue came in at VG/EX and a T3. Overall a good experience first time sending in cards for grading.

However, a few problems. I sent in a 1915 Cracker Jack Max Carey that I bought off ebay about seven years ago. I bought it as a PRO9 NM and took it out of the holder a few years ago. It must have been trimmed as the card looks mint. I only got a SGC A. Bummer but better than counterfeit. I would never buy a PRO graded card. I have seen a few (they are always high grades) go off ebay for high dollars in the last four months. In fact, mine was graded as a 1914 Cracker Jack by PRO.

Also, I bought an ungraded Old Judge off Ebay about six months ago and they returned it unslabbed because they could not verify if it was real. I did not save the invoice and ebay does not allow me to go back that far to contact the seller. I may try to get into Paypal. I would be willing to send this card to an Old Judge expert on this board for their opinion and pay return postage.

Thanks for the help.

Eliminator

jcmtiger
02-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Can you post a picture of the OJ? Someone might be able to tell you something from the picture.

Joe

eliminator
02-13-2012, 08:27 PM
i'll get a photo of front and back up by tommorrow night for any comments.
thanks
tom

FrankWakefield
02-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Have you illuminated the OJ with uv light?

Fred
02-14-2012, 06:21 AM
Does the OJ say something about Royers Confectioner on the back?

sb1
02-14-2012, 06:27 AM
go to your paypal account, I just discovered it had items that I had bid on or won going back well over a year that were archived.

eliminator
02-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the reponses.

I don't believe I have a UV light. What does a UV light show?

Second, yes the back of the card references Royer Confectioner. I can't read everything on the back- it appears to be stamped with an ink stamper and reads:

Jon R. Royer
Confectioner
88 W. King St.
Lancaster, PA.

The front says Old Judge in the upper right corner and Goodwin & Co., New York on the bottom. Some of the letters on the front are too small and faint to read. The card appears to be old and appears to have had shellac or varnish applied to the front. It's slightly curled and the varnish has cracks in it.

I have attempted to upload a front and back photo so hopefully it shows up.

Again, thanks for the help and look forward to any additional comments on the card.

joeadcock
02-15-2012, 06:50 PM
I have one of those also. Question of what on earth it really is. Some here believe they are fake. I look it as a curiosity mainly.

Fred
02-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Those cards are just a little undersized. The first time I saw one I suspected it to be an older reprint of sorts. I think there's a thread in the archives that addresses these and someone actually researched the Royer Confectioner business to see when it was doing business at the address identified on the back of the card. Good luck finding that thread.

sago
02-15-2012, 07:49 PM
http://www.net54baseball.com/search.php?searchid=273205

Here are all the threads with the term "royer" in it.:)

eliminator
02-15-2012, 09:18 PM
It appears to be old. I am going to try and do some research on it and post what I find.

murcerfan
02-15-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm holding my breath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eliminator
02-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Just read through the archives. At minimum, they have an interesting history even if they were just reproductions by Royer to promote his business.

It appears it would be difficult to pinpoint the exact age or history of who made the reproductions for Royer or if he made them himself. If it could be documented that he made and used them to promote his business during that period I find them to be an interesting part of baseball card history. If they were made during the period of 1885 to 1910 when the historical society can last document the existence of his business at the W. King Street location I agree the cards are an interesting novelty. And the fact that Mr. Hershey worked for him is also fascinating.

I guess I will keep it in my collection as an interesting novelty and try to do some additional research on them.

jcmtiger
02-15-2012, 10:42 PM
I would say just because of the size they are some type of reproductions. I don't think any OJ collectors would want them. Just my opinion.

Joe