PDA

View Full Version : Stoopid t206 wagner Q

mintacular
02-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Do you think an original authentic card could ever be bought in an auction stating it as questionable authenticity/origin unknown or a slabbed by a b.s. company? Has this ever happened? I know your natural instinct is to paste links with fake cards sold like this everyday but am trying to get at if an real one could slip through the radar. While I'm at it, what do you think the best chance of obtaining a real one NOT through an auction like REA? Random trip to the flea market kinda thing?

E93
02-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Authentic Wagners get traded and sold privately. The chances of a fake one being offered in REA or one of the other major auction houses is next to nil. Their reputations would be shot and they would be financially accountable, not to mention the ethics involved.
JimB

philliesphan
02-12-2012, 09:34 PM
use anything but either an auction house or a private sale of a real, authentic T206 Wagner? There's no rationale reason.

Wagners do [often] trade hands privately. But any real ones would either be slabbed (if sold publicly) or raw depending on the provenance of the collector / individual trading/selling it.

steve B
02-13-2012, 07:47 AM
I went to the auction in Connecticut that had a Wagner a few years ago. Pretty interesting, and no slabs or few slabs at the time. It was from a big old collection that had been found.

I'd be amazed if a real one was sold with uncertainty. Even knowing very little, once I found out it was worth that much I'd spend the money to send it to SGC. Or maybe PSA.

I'm not sure if any of the less known grading companies graded any. Probably Beckett, and maybe SCD.

Like the ad says the chances of stumbling across one are about the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear on the same day. Ok, maybe slightly better than that, but certainly worse than the lottery or the proverbial being struck by lightning.

Steve B

ScottFandango
02-13-2012, 01:00 PM
there is 1 beckett wagner...

its called the Beckett Wagner, go figure....

glchen
02-13-2012, 01:35 PM
There have been multiple estate finds where people have purchased cards like rare Ruth's, etc for just a few dollars. I think it'd be highly unlikely, however, I wouldn't be completely surprised if someone found a T206 Wagner buried among a bunch of old postcards or nailed inside a barn, etc.

mrvster
02-13-2012, 03:09 PM
:)....

my dream card, my fantasy:....i hope im the one to find it in someones barn one day with the coors girls naked and a bucket o' wingz:D

Leon, can i say that???

:confused:

Peace

Johnny

drc
02-13-2012, 05:26 PM
New examples are found. My advice is go to flea markets and estates looking for a Wagner and an Ed Plank. Double your chances of success.

T206DK
02-13-2012, 06:38 PM
there is 1 beckett wagner...

its called the Beckett Wagner, go figure....

I heard that card is/was owned by someone who lived near me