PDA

View Full Version : Odd Jackie Robinson Photo and Translation Help Request

Jason19th
02-11-2012, 02:38 PM
I just picked up a book/pamphlet by George Westerman about about baseball in Panama. On the last page there is the photo below which shows Jackie, Campanella, Newcombe, and Roy Partlow in Montreal Royals uniforms. I can;t figure out when all four would have been with the Royals the text seems to indicate that it was for a trip to Panama but I was hoping I could get someone on the board to post a translation

Thanks
Jason

thecatspajamas
02-11-2012, 03:02 PM
I just picked up a book/pamphlet by George Westerman about about baseball in Panama. On the last page there is the photo below which shows Jackie, Campanella, Newcombe, and Roy Partlow in Montreal Royals uniforms. I can;t figure out when all four would have been with the Royals the text seems to indicate that it was for a trip to Panama but I was hoping I could get someone on the board to post a translation

Thanks
Jason

It's been a while since high school Spanish class, so feel free to touch it up where necessary, but roughly it says:

They were the fountain of inspiration of the great majority of the isthmus ballplayers when they were in Panama in 1946. This is Don Newcombe, Roy Campanella, Roy Partlow and Jackie Robinson, who appears in the previous view, when they visited the Montreal Royals, a branch of the Brooklyn team, who came to our country on the same rotation. All of them later returned to Brooklyn. Years later Campanella and Robinson were winners of the title of "Most Valuable Player of the National League."

Jason19th
02-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks