PDA

View Full Version : 1944 Esquire's All-American Boys Baseball Program

JayZim13
02-08-2012, 05:18 PM
I just picked up this 1944 Esquires All-American Boy's Baseball game program. Its listed as the East vs West. players include Richie Ashburn and Erv Palica on the west team and Bill Pierce on the East. The east manager was Connie Mack and the west manager was Mel Ott. Can anyone give me info on this game. I also have a 1945 program. My email is aleo821@aol.com.
Thanks

adc0317
12-04-2013, 08:51 PM
This is excellent. Some names were spelled wrong in the various newspaper accounts, and it is great to see what the managers had to say. 19 of the 29 players played professionally, including four major leaguers. Billy "Mr. Zero" Pierce was the winning pitcher in the 6-0 game. Ashburn made the last out. Programs for the next two years may be in Cooperstown.

Alan Cohen

thecatspajamas
12-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Here's a photo of Ott with 4 of the boys (Ott in the center and Palica on the far left). The slug on the back has a little info, but was taken before the game, so no results yet.

adc0317
12-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Wonderful picture. By the way, Virgil Jester also made it to the majors, albeit for a cup of coffee.

Alan Cohen

bgar3
12-05-2013, 09:51 AM
There are a few paragraphs about Ashburn's participation in the game on pages 33-35 of Archibald's Richie Ashburn Story.

prewarsports
12-05-2013, 11:09 AM
I wonder if that Jim Presley is related to the one who played for the Mariners in the 1980's?

perezfan
12-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Was wonndering the same.

Also, there is a "Wohlers" listed. Uncommon and unusual name.... related to Mark Wohlers, perhaps?

Nashvol
12-08-2013, 05:04 PM
I just picked up this 1944 Esquires All-American Boy's Baseball game program. Its listed as the East vs West. players include Richie Ashburn and Erv Palica on the west team and Bill Pierce on the East. The east manager was Connie Mack and the west manager was Mel Ott. Can anyone give me info on this game. I also have a 1945 program. My email is aleo821@aol.com.
Thanks

Othur Pardue, a catcher for the East team, was from Nashville and was known as "Buck". He was two years older than my father; both played for North High School. My dad played third as a sophomore (Pardue was a senior catcher) except when Pardue pitched; then dad caught.

Dad remembers when "Buck caught a foul time between the index and middle fingers of his throwing hand and the ball just lodged there. I had to catch for three straight games while Buck healed."

Pardue never made it higher than Class C ball. He passed away in 2011 here in Nashville.