PDA

View Full Version : Value in VCP showing raw card sales?

brob28
02-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this topic. Perhaps it will become a nice suggestion to VCP. So here goes with my thoughts on this.

I personally would find it valuable if VCP found a way to show recent sales of raw cards and not just graded. I understand the difficulties that presents and there will be many who won't see value but here's my logic. And for any VCP people on the board, I would pay more for this additional data.

1) I buy many raw cards and the pricing data on graded is a point of reference but is apples to oranges and of limited value.
2) When I buy any graded card (like most), I buy the card not the grade, so in effect when I look at VCP, the information like the scan is critical - in many ways as important or more important than the numerical grade from TPG.
3) In a recent thread the majority of posters felt SMR, Becketts, Standard Catalog and any other source were of limited value in helping a buyer/seller in determining market value.
4) The information is available (ebay etc) but there is a void as far as assembling it. I personally don't want to watch every acution of a particular card to establish market value.
5) In the end it's just data and up to the user to do the analysis and determine it's validity - this wouild go for raw or graded.

If VCP showed the raw card sales in a separate section from graded and catogorized the sales based on the grade provided by the seller in the desription and included - similar to as they show for graded:

1) sale date
2) price
3) picture/scan
4) link to ausction

This information would be valuable to me when looking to purchase. I understand most sellers incorrectly or overgrade cards when selling but TPG make mistakes too and in the end it's up to me to analyze what data I have when making any purchase. So I guess what it boils down to for me is; if I have the information I can at least decide what to do with it but I'd love to have the information. The more I have the better prepared I will be to make a sound decision.

Sorry if the post seems rambling or if this is a re-tread of any earlier posts, I could not find one in the archives. I also thought this could be a poll, but the reasons why you all will answer the way you do are as interesting to me as the answer itself.

Happy collecting!

toppcat
02-04-2012, 11:42 AM
I don't see it since the grade is what mostly determines the price and most raw cards on Ebay are either off by a couple of grades or shilled up (or both).

brob28
02-04-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't see it since the grade is what mostly determines the price and most raw cards on Ebay are either off by a couple of grades or shilled up (or both).

Raw or graded can both be shilled so unless VCP is currently making a judgement call and not including auctions that they think were shilled that doesn't really apply in this case to me.

Your point is well taken on incorrect grading by sellers on raw cards, but at least if I see the scan and any other info I have something to go build data for current market on raw cards.

Perhaps a follow up question is how do most on the board determine market value on raw cards? It seems lately that I seem to be bidding against fools that are taking the sellers grade as gospel and bidding using SMR as a guide. Kinda sounds like I'm just bitching now. ;)

BobbyVCP
02-04-2012, 02:07 PM
We are working on some new automated software solutions that if we feel is good enough then we will add RAW cards to the site with an image the same way we do for the graded cards now. I think this will also allow us to start cover the 2000-2010 sets too. If this works it will be purely automated and not checked like we are currently doing now with the sections we cover. Currently a person verifies all the auction listings to be correct before we enter the data into VCP.

brob28
02-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Bobby, that's great news. I understand there has to be limitations due to the volume of auctions you would be covering but I think this information would be very useful.

Thank you.

zljones
02-04-2012, 03:54 PM
We are working on some new automated software solutions that if we feel is good enough then we will add RAW cards to the site with an image the same way we do for the graded cards now. I think this will also allow us to start cover the 2000-2010 sets too. If this works it will be purely automated and not checked like we are currently doing now with the sections we cover. Currently a person verifies all the auction listings to be correct before we enter the data into VCP.

I for one would love that since I have so many raw cards

toppcat
02-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Well color me wrong!