PDA

View Full Version : 1960 & 1961 question

brett 75
02-03-2012, 12:51 PM
To the vast amount of experts on this site I was wondering if any can help with some knowledge on a fairly unusual set of cards from 1960 ( Baseball Hi-lites ) & 1961 (Baseball Scoops). Does anyone remember purchasing these originally in the year they came out ? What was the method of packaging ? And last did they come with a product ( gum, candy , marble ,etc.) ? I've read the write up in the Standard Catalog but it doesn't give much info beyond at some time they were reprinted or counterfeited . Any help would be great thanks , Brett

mckinneyj
02-03-2012, 04:36 PM
I was 6-7 years old when they were released - don't recall the larger profile 60 set back in the day but did have many 61s. I have no idea whether I bought them or won them flipping... any way you can still find the wrappers available on ebay. They look like what you'll see here

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2006/423.html

and you might enjoy this write-up.

http://www.psacard.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=4998&type=1

If you're holding some I might be interested... if you're needing some I might have help...

brett 75
02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the quick reply ! Those were both great help and definatley informative , just what I was looking for thanks . So NuCard Scoops came as a stand alone product, baseball cards sold solely for that purpose. I do have a few a couple graded but mostly raw. Which will lead to a follow up question at a later time. I've always liked them for some reason but as the article stated they don't show up to often . Will pm you about some extras you might be interested in parting with Thanks again, Brett

dacubfan
02-07-2012, 02:30 PM
I purchased both the '60s and the '61s when I was a teen and don't believe they came with any product. My question is with the '60 Hi-lites. The first 18 cards in the set came either with black & red print on the front and a quiz question on the back or with all black print and a blank back. It seems you hardly ever see the latter variation. I have done a "Saved Search" on ebay for months and have yet to get a hit. Anyone know what kind of premium if any is placed on those 18 all black print variations? Not sure if this set was counterfited or only the '61s but the all black variations I have definitely were not.