PDA

View Full Version : Type 1 Photo Slabbing; Beckett or PSA?

roarfrom34
01-31-2012, 09:40 AM
I have a handful of 1970's original B&W newspaper photos/Type 1 pictures that I'd like to get slabbed. Does anyone have any opinion as to whether to have them done thru Beckett or PSA?

Thanks

bcbgcbrcb
01-31-2012, 10:05 AM
I do all of my photos through Beckett, terriffic service and the holders offer much more protection that PSA's although they are quite sizeable.

D. Bergin
01-31-2012, 10:42 AM
I do all of my photos through Beckett, terriffic service and the holders offer much more protection that PSA's although they are quite sizeable.

Yeah, Phil sent me a Barry Larkin photo in a Beckett holder. I could knock out a home intruder with that thing. I hide it under the bed..............just in case. LOL!!

:D

thecatspajamas
01-31-2012, 10:59 AM
PSA if you want them to be looked at by the guy who coined the term "Type 1 Photo" and ever plan on selling (and thus having to ship) the photos.

Beckett if you want to turn your "handful of photos" into a "truckload of photos."

Comparing the holders used by each, PSA's is more like the thickness of a toploader, and Beckett's is literally 1/2" thick. I have some low-end photos in the Beckett slabs (literal term in this case) that I've thought about breaking out just b/c I can't get them to sell with the resulting shipping prices I have to charge.

glchen
01-31-2012, 11:54 AM
Out of curiosity, I think PSA only slabs photos that are 8x10 (or close to it), and for photos of other sizes (e.g., 5x7), they just give an LOA. How about Beckett? Do they slab odd size photos like 5x7 or are they like PSA and only do 8x10? I like slabbing for protection in addition to confirming Type I.

bcbgcbrcb
01-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Gary:

Beckett will slab any size photo up to about 8 3/4" X 11" which is the maximum size that fits into their holders.

doug.goodman
01-31-2012, 12:28 PM
As a "raw" guy I like PSA because their holders are very easy to get the photo out of, yet still secure for you "graded / authenticated" guys.

I hadn't thought about the home security aspect, the Beckett slabs are a bit bulkier than my Roy Gleason bat, but harder to get a good grip on.

Doug

roarfrom34
01-31-2012, 04:24 PM
thanks for the replies; since I also have few a autographed pictures items slabbed by PSA/DNA. I'll slab these pictures by PSA if for anything else, consistency....

drc
01-31-2012, 10:42 PM
I believe the Beckett holders were designed to also hold comic books, so they have some depth to their width.

thecatspajamas
02-01-2012, 12:24 AM
I believe the Beckett holders were designed to also hold comic books, so they have some depth to their width.

Magazines maybe. I've never known Beckett to grade comics though. CGC has all but cornered the market on comic grading, and their holders are still thinner than Beckett's :)

I think it may be a case of them adopting a one-size-fits-all holder which, in most cases, winds up being overkill and a lot of wasted space.

bcbgcbrcb
02-01-2012, 03:52 AM
The size of the Beckett holder is crucial in slabbing M101-1's as every last 1/4" is needed to fit the piece (minus the thickness, of course).

drc
02-01-2012, 12:52 PM
People who don't get their stuff slabbed in Texas are unAmerican.

Slabbed in Southern California? Even the thought makes my skin crawl.

When I had my own slabbing company, I couldn't afford the holders so I just laminated everything. The game used shoes were a bit tough.

thecatspajamas
02-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Laminating sure would make framing easier :p

glchen
02-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks, Phil, for the response.