PDA

View Full Version : Pawn stars: mantle/may/kill photo

yanks12025
01-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Anyone see it? Was tri-star around when mantle was. And any one hear rick say that no one forges mantle Autos.

GrayGhost
01-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah I heard that and saw the show. I think the sigs were fine IMO.

I LOVED the 29 Cubs press pin world series more tho.

batsballsbases
01-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Brock<
I saw that. I had to laugh when Rick said he didnt believe anyone would fake any of those signatures! Mickey Mantle is one of the most faked sigs out there.:eek: I got more of a kick out of Drew who wouldnt give the thumbs up on the Paul Newman racing suit autograph!
Scott ,
Yes I forgot about the press pin that was a beautiful piece!

mordecaibrown
01-30-2012, 09:28 PM
While I am not a press pin collector, I was surprised that Rick gave the seller more than he wanted. Seller asked for $1000 and Rick increased it to $1200.

This pin has sold at auctions in the last two years for $800-$1000 (just a quick internet search).

Legendary 2010
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=113377&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=7&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1&seo=1929-Chicago-Cubs-World-Series-Press-Pin

REA 2011
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2011/1361.html

johnmh71
01-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Anyone see it? Was tri-star around when mantle was. And any one hear rick say that no one forges mantle Autos.

I don't have the best eye for forgeries and my first thought was that the Mantle looked off. I didn't like the slant on either M or the spacing between his first and last name. The other two looked ok. But I'm not an expert.

MVSNYC
01-30-2012, 10:49 PM
i too was surprised when Rick said no one forges Mantle/Mays...funny.

Re: the '29 pin, i was shocked he offered him $200 more then the guy's asking price, BUT it's TV and i think every now and then Rick does that (i've seen him pull that at least 3 other times) to make it seem like he's a fair, "good" guy.

Dalkiel
01-31-2012, 05:07 AM

My thoughts exactly about TriStar. I'm guessing the TriStar authentication was for the Mays and/or Killebrew and not the Mantle.

mschwade
01-31-2012, 07:12 AM
My thoughts exactly about TriStar. I'm guessing the TriStar authentication was for the Mays and/or Killebrew and not the Mantle.

Tri-Star was created in 1987, Mantle died in 1995. Yes, they were around. Rick would be able to look up the hologram on their web site too and it would give all three names if in fact all three were witnessed signatures.

WhenItWasAHobby
01-31-2012, 07:28 AM
I got a Mantle autograph at a Houston Tri-Star show in the early 1990's and even had my picture taken with the Mick.

So definitely yes!

Dalkiel
01-31-2012, 09:24 AM
I know they were around, but were they doing holograms back then (pre-1995)? I doubt it.

yanks12025
01-31-2012, 10:44 AM
In a quick search, I couldn't find any autos of Mantle with a tri-star.

Fuddjcal
01-31-2012, 10:53 AM
while I have never seen a photo like that one with a Tri-star cert, the Mantle looked perfect!!!!!! IMHO. I was hoping Drew would come back after the Newman racing suit and actually get a Mantle right...which you will be very hard pressed to find.:D

He does seem to do a better job on the show lately however from what I've seen.

brownscollector78
01-31-2012, 10:57 AM
I can't believe Rick said Mantles weren't faked often. He should know better.

Mr. Zipper
01-31-2012, 10:57 AM
In a quick search, I couldn't find any autos of Mantle with a tri-star.

Not to say they don't exist, but I search eBay every day on Mantle. I can not recall ever seeing a TriStar authenticated Mantle.

It was my understanding he signed for ScoreBoard and Upper Deck. Was TriStar issuing holograms prior to 1994?

sycks22
01-31-2012, 11:27 AM
I love how Drew just brings the magnifying glass and his wit. I also yelled at the TV when he said "nobody forges Mantle." Doesn't Rick know that Drew is a sham and nobody believes the guy?

RichardSimon
01-31-2012, 02:06 PM
I love how Drew just brings the magnifying glass and his wit. I also yelled at the TV when he said "nobody forges Mantle." Doesn't Rick know that Drew is a sham and nobody believes the guy?

If they believe that they are not looking at the internet very often.

thetruthisoutthere
01-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Does anyone know the specific title of that particular episode? I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Rob D.
01-31-2012, 05:22 PM
Does anyone know the specific title of that particular episode? I would appreciate it. Thank you.

"Yankee Panky"

mcgwirecom
01-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Firstly I do love to watch what comes on the show, however I feel the show is highly set-up. Most pawn shops will only offer you about 10% of what somethings worth. So it makes me laugh when they say "oh well I would sell this for $500 so I will offer you $300"

Secondly, has Drew ever pulled anything else out of that briefcase? What else is in there? A sleeve of saltines?

thetruthisoutthere
01-31-2012, 05:52 PM
"Yankee Panky"

Thank you, Rob. I just watched it.

thetruthisoutthere
01-31-2012, 06:08 PM
Well, I just watched the Pawn Stars episode "Yankee Panky."

Below are two quotes directly from Rick Harrison's mouth.

Just before Drew Max shows up to examine the Paul Newman signature, Rick Harrison says "He's like the best in the business."

Are you kidding me, Rick!!!

Then Rick, right before negotiating a price for the Mantle, Mays & Killebrew signed photograph says "Quite frankly, I don't think anyone is gonna fake a Mickey Mantle, Mays or Killebrew....."

Hey Rick, how about this beauty authenticated by "the best in the business!!!"

Hey Rick, there are tens of thousands of just Mantle forgeries in the marketplace!!!!

David Atkatz
01-31-2012, 06:16 PM
I don't think Rick hangs out here.

thetruthisoutthere
01-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Hey Rick, here's another beauty certed by "The best in the business."

brob28
02-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Well, I just watched the Pawn Stars episode "Yankee Panky."

Below are two quotes directly from Rick Harrison's mouth.

Just before Drew Max shows up to examine the Paul Newman signature, Rick Harrison says "He's like the best in the business."

Are you kidding me, Rick!!!

Then Rick, right before negotiating a price for the Mantle, Mays & Killebrew signed photograph says "Quite frankly, I don't think anyone is gonna fake a Mickey Mantle, Mays or Killebrew....."

Hey Rick, how about this beauty authenticated by "the best in the business!!!"

Hey Rick, there are tens of thousands of just Mantle forgeries in the marketplace!!!!

Come on Chris, that's the best Nicky Nantle I've ever seen!

perezfan
02-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Firstly I do love to watch what comes on the show, however I feel the show is highly set-up. Most pawn shops will only offer you about 10% of what somethings worth. So it makes me laugh when they say "oh well I would sell this for $500 so I will offer you $300"

Secondly, has Drew ever pulled anything else out of that briefcase? What else is in there? A sleeve of saltines?

Highly staged. Remember when Chumley just happened to see Bob Dylan walking the strip, and got the Album cover signed (for re-sale, per Rick's direction). He had it personalized "to Chumley"... as if we are to believe the guy is really that dumb.

These are character portrayals just like any non-reality sitcom. It's all for entertainment value, and the prices they apparently pay for goods have nothing to do with "reality". No real pawn shop operates that way, but it's still fun to watch.

thetruthisoutthere
02-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Highly staged. Remember when Chumley just happened to see Bob Dylan walking the strip, and got the Album cover signed (for re-sale, per Rick's direction). He had it personalized "to Chumley"... as if we are to believe the guy is really that dumb.

These are character portrayals just like any non-reality sitcom. It's all for entertainment value, and the prices they apparently pay for goods have nothing to do with "reality". No real pawn shop operates that way, but it's still fun to watch.

I remember that episode. Very true, Perezfan. I don't watch it any more. The novelty is over. I only watch it on the History channel website when I want to watch Drew Max and his hubble-sized magnifying glass.

novakjr
02-01-2012, 04:27 PM
I remember that episode. Very true, Perezfan. I don't watch it any more. The novelty is over. I only watch it on the History channel website when I want to watch Drew Max and his hubble-sized magnifying glass.

I don't watch much of Pawn Stars anymore either, but usually try to check it out when there's anything sports related. So I watched the other night.

HOLY SHIT!!! I was completely in awe when Mary Ford's nephew brought in that SG Les Paul and those documents... However, I believe that it had to be staged. There is absolutely NO WAY that dude should've ever been in a pawn shop with those.

rjackson44
02-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Ricks laugh is scary,,,:eek:

GrayGhost
02-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Why do you guys have to ruin it for people like me who love the show, w all the highly staged and crap? Of course some of it is staged, who cares. its a really cool show. PERIOD.

Scott Roberts

travrosty
02-01-2012, 06:16 PM
I love to watch the show, watching authenticators strut in like they know everything. saying "what do we have here?" when they have already been provided the autograph far in advance.

thecatspajamas
02-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I especially find it funny when the "what do we have here" comment is followed by pulling out a photocopied sheet of exemplars for the signer in question. Maybe that's what Drew is carrying around in his case besides that magnifying glass: his exemplar file?

Staged or not, it is fun to see what just "walks through the door" on that show. Nothing like any pawn shop I've ever been in!

mcgwirecom
02-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Yeah I loved that show with Mary Ford's nephew. Sweet 1961 SG Les Paul. I wonder if he really sold it to them.

travrosty
02-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Rick doesn't know a lot about autographs, particularly sports.

There was a bad Sonny Liston siganture on a ringside bell.

He also said that Sonny Liston's autograph wasn't worth much because all those boxers signed a lot right up until the day he died.

So Rick thought the bell might be worth a few hundred, with no added value even if the signature was good. wrong.

Of course Liston died fairly young, in Las Vegas no less, and he didn't like to sign and avoided signing much of the time. So to say a blanket statement that boxers signed a lot right up to the day they died was not doing his homework on Liston.

A real signature on that bell would have added value to it. Drew Max rightfully knocked down that signature, calling it fake.

GrayGhost
02-02-2012, 09:07 AM
:):)You are right bout the Liston Bell deal. It was Richard SR who liked the Bell and Corey (big Hoss) was trying to make the deal, and made the autograph comments.

Max cracks me up tho, the huge Magnifier is a riot, w nothing else in that Monster Sachel.

thetruthisoutthere
02-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Gotta love this blunder by Drew Max, Forensic Document Examiner, when he examined the below FDR Letter To Clergy on the Pawn Stars.

After Drew examined the FDR Letter To Clergy he states "When you put it all together, there's only one conclusion, this thing is definitely authentic."

Travis wrote "I love to watch the show, watching authenticators strut in like they know everything. saying "what do we have here?" when they have already been provided the autograph far in advance."

If Drew Max, FDE, had so much time in advance, how could he not know that the FDR Letter To Clergy was a reproduction mailed to approximately 121, 700 members of the clergy? How can an FDE (Drew Max) examining an item (a letter) in his field, make that big of a blunder?

RichardSimon
02-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Rick doesn't know a lot about autographs, particularly sports.

There was a bad Sonny Liston siganture on a ringside bell.

He also said that Sonny Liston's autograph wasn't worth much because all those boxers signed a lot right up until the day he died.

So Rick thought the bell might be worth a few hundred, with no added value even if the signature was good. wrong.

Of course Liston died fairly young, in Las Vegas no less, and he didn't like to sign and avoided signing much of the time. So to say a blanket statement that boxers signed a lot right up to the day they died was not doing his homework on Liston.

A real signature on that bell would have added value to it. Drew Max rightfully knocked down that signature, calling it fake.

I can imagine Liston a guest at a baseball card show,,,
Flats- $75
Gloves - $150
Bells - $800
and $8 to have a TPA rep. , who is not watching, to put a sticker on it :).
sorry, no personalizations.

travrosty
02-02-2012, 10:20 AM
I was thinking of someone else, with a zero batting average, much bigger mistakes and much more embarrassing, so much it made the papers.

thetruthisoutthere
02-02-2012, 10:27 AM
I was thinking of someone else, with a zero batting average, much bigger mistakes and much more embarrassing, so much it made the papers.

Oh that's right, it's not embarrassing for a Forensic Document Examiner (Drew Max) not to be able to differentiate between an original signature and a reproduced signature, but it's okay for you to rip someone that was on the show one time and got the signature wrong.

travrosty
02-02-2012, 11:32 AM
i never once said it wasnt embarrasing for the fde.

is there a reason that he was only on there once? and why not spell out your whole name and place of business if you know you are going to be on a show on national tv in front of 6.6 million viewers? what's that deal? Free advertising for 6 million and no thanks? i will just go by the name bob?

It's because the error was so spectacular, getting the very first thing wrong that authenticators must know before they even start looking at the handwriting. That being the subject of their research. No one called an FDR a Teddy Roosevelt.

thetruthisoutthere
02-02-2012, 11:45 AM
i never once said it wasnt embarrasing for the fde.

is there a reason that he was only on there once? and why not spell out your whole name and place of business if you know you are going to be on a show on national tv in front of 6.6 million viewers? what's that deal? Free advertising for 6 million and no thanks? i will just go by the name bob?

It's because the error was so spectacular, getting the very first thing wrong that authenticators must know before they even start looking at the handwriting. That being the subject of their research. No one called an FDR a Teddy Roosevelt.

No, Travis, Drew Max, even with his hubble-sized magnifying glass examination, wasn't able to see that the signature of FDR was a reproduction. As a matter of fact, Drew Max emphatically states "When you put it all together, there's only one conclusion, this thing is definitely authentic." I guess you don't consider that a major blunder, Travis.

travrosty
02-02-2012, 11:47 AM
its a blunder, but not near as big as getting the entire subject wrong.
that one was for the books.

thetruthisoutthere
02-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Here's one for the books. A Willie Mays signed card. It was signed by the wife of Willie Mays. Todd Mueller certed it and sold it. When confronted about the fact that the Mays was signed by the wife of Willie Mays, Mueller replied "I got Willie Mays in person at the Portland interntational airport on Sept 8, 1988 and Willie signed on my shoulder."

What a joke!!! That autograph was signed on a shoulder? OMG!!!

travrosty
02-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Chris,

you know you are not telling the truth.

Todd said he had a similar mays autograph that looked like that and he had met mays at the airport and got mays autograph and it looked similar. Not that same one, as a matter of fact he said he still had the mays autograph that he got signed at the airport, and I don't blame him because most people like to keep the personal momentos of stars they get in person and sell the other ones that they buy or trade for.

go back and look at the transcript and try again.

thetruthisoutthere
02-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Chris,

you know you are not telling the truth.

Todd said he had a similar mays autograph that looked like that and he had met mays at the airport and got mays autograph and it looked similar. Not that same one, as a matter of fact he said he still had the mays autograph that he got signed at the airport, and I don't blame him because most people like to keep the personal momentos of stars they get in person and sell the other ones that they buy or trade for.

go back and look at the transcript and try again.

Yeah, the usual BS story from Mueller. Always a story from Mueller.

travrosty
02-02-2012, 12:43 PM
So you are backtracking? please admit you lied when you said that mueller said that this was the exact autograph that he got at the airport.

that's what you said it was. if mueller said that, then post the passages where he says that. if you can't, then you are lying and mischaracterizing what happened.

did you lie to sensationalize this signature, chris? Because the posts are presumably still there for people to read for themselves just what mueller said and what he didnt in reference to this autograph. or do i have to find them. I won't tolerate lying. I have a steel trap memory and I remember conversations from 10 years ago like it was yesterday, that's why i was shocked you would say that about someone when its not true. But if you just admit what you said isn't true, I can forgive it as a faulty memory and not something done on purpose.

thetruthisoutthere
02-02-2012, 12:59 PM
So you are backtracking? please admit you lied when you said that mueller said that this was the exact autograph that he got at the airport.

that's what you said it was. if mueller said that, then post the passages where he says that. if you can't, then you are lying and mischaracterizing what happened.

did you lie to sensationalize this signature, chris? Because the posts are presumably still there for people to read for themselves just what mueller said and what he didnt in reference to this autograph. or do i have to find them. I won't tolerate lying. I have a steel trap memory and I remember conversations from 10 years ago like it was yesterday, that's why i was shocked you would say that about someone when its not true. But if you just admit what you said isn't true, I can forgive it as a faulty memory and not something done on purpose.

No way am I backtracking, Travis. But if Mueller did a follow-up on that comment there is no way I would believe him. He has a story for everything, but never admits his mistakes.

Like that ridiculous story about how that pitiful Derek Jeter forgery he sold was acquired. Just another BS story. Any time he's caught, he always seems to come up with another BS story.

Does he have a story about this Hank Aaron secretarial he sold, Travis?

thetruthisoutthere
02-02-2012, 01:07 PM
To the members here, I won't apologize for going a bit off-track on this thread, too, but I am done with this subject. I have made my points here.

Done.

insidethewrapper
02-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I can't believe some of the items that someone would bring to a pawn shop. Les Paul papers and guitar etc. That should go to a major auction house. It is fun to watch. Love watching the experts walk thru the door.

I heard most of the items they buy are gold pieces and coins etc. I never see them buy that stuff. I'd like to see how they buy gold and determine the gold content and weight etc. I think that would be interesting.

slidekellyslide
02-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Does anyone in the autograph hobby get along with anyone else in the autograph hobby?

bn2cardz
02-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Does anyone in the autograph hobby get along with anyone else in the autograph hobby?

HAHA. I have been thinking exactly this the more I look around these boards. I haven't figured out which is worse the bickering the self proclaimed auto experts or the self proclaimed t206 experts. I am glad I am not an "expert" in anything.

GrayGhost
02-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Andy has got it right. I have tried to gain knowledge and have on here, but man, not being an expert or "expert" in anything, this constant back and forth stuff is getting out of hand. Makes me kinda sick.

johnmh71
02-02-2012, 04:39 PM

LOL. I have wondered the same thing myself.

As far as TPAs and authenticators go, they are offering an opinion. If you tend to not like or trust that opinion, then don't use them. There is really no point in attacking each other or whoever is doing the authenticating.

I hate fakes and frauds as much as anyone. My goal is to build a nice collection and do my best to stay away from them. How I do that is up to me becuse it will be my collection in the end. Consider yourselves fortunate that you are educated collectors and enjoy the hobby.:)

yardboy
02-03-2012, 02:36 AM
Find the real truth about autograph fakes and who is guilty here. IT is a real eye opener. Maybe the guy that does all the videos on youtube about fakes ought to educate himself prior to looking like a fool.
Read and learn if you dare.
http://www.autographalert.com

yardboy
02-03-2012, 02:45 AM
NO~! Nobody gets along in this business.
Go to ask.com go to any rep expert for that matter....
Find out what a REAL Mantle autograph is worth now days.
150-300 dollars ... read it and weep.

How does someone in good standing sell on ebay for thousands. The nut on youtube that screams..."If you buy a Mantle autograph and don't pay $800-1000 it's a fake....

Oh, thats right, he is selling on ebay or another site for big bucks all the while looking out for those of us that dont know squat about autographs. Hmmmmm, dont worry though, he will educate us. LOL

http://www.autographalert.com

GrayGhost
02-03-2012, 07:25 AM
I have a strange ball . it has a few sigs on it, on a boys western league ball. What Im curious about is how to get what appears to be former Brave MARTY PEREZ Authenticated. My questions are as follows:

1. Should I use the Alphabet guys? ABC, DEFG. WXYZ?
2. How many exemplars of Marty are out there?
3. are there secretarial, autopen, and facsimile Marty's I should look at?
4. Whose family member of which authenticator knew the second cousin of Marty Perez and is familiar with his signature?
5. Would Chris Morales pass it?
6. Would Drew Max take time w his huge glass to examine the letter formation and characteristics of a Marty Perez?

7. UM. WHY CAN'T ANYONE ON HERE AGREE ON ANYTHING? HOW WOULD SOMEONE WHO REALLY CARES ABOUT RARE SIGNATURES KNOW WHO TO TRUST, WHEN EVERYONE IS ALWAYS PISSY AT ONE GUY, THIS GUY IS THIS, THAT, AND THIS BOARD MEMBER SHOULD BE QUIET AND THIS AND THAT?

I hope the first part of my post made people laugh, but the second part is REALLY SAD....:(

perezfan
02-03-2012, 10:07 AM
I remember Marty Perez very well. He played for the Braves for a few years, and I am sure there are enough team-signed Braves balls that plenty of good exemplars exist.

Mr. Zipper
02-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Not to go off topic or anything :D but I finally watched this episode last night.

Rick's comment about no one forging Mantle, Mays or Killebrew was the height of ignorance. But, in my opinion, I think the Mantle was authentic.

GrayGhost
02-03-2012, 11:24 AM
I remember Marty Perez very well. He played for the Braves for a few years, and I am sure there are enough team-signed Braves balls that plenty of good exemplars exist.

:(:(:rolleyes:My joke flew off into the stratosphere...It was all part of the joke that this authenticating junk has become w TPA's FDE's and just plain guessers..

I do have that ball tho, and may list it as a cheapie special on Net54, a little preview:p

thetruthisoutthere
02-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Scott, I've known you too long to not catch your sense of humor. We could sure use some here even with all of the problems.

But like I mentioned previously, I won't apologize for the thread going off track a bit. Some things just have to be defended and I will never apologize for doing what I do.

johnmh71
02-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Here is a similiar autographed photo that is currently selling on ebay with a PSA cert:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mickey-Mantle-Mays-Killebrew-Autographed-Signed-8x10-Photo-PSA-DNA-J31304-/230680366528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b59f0dc0

The Mantle on this one looks better IMO.

HRBAKER
02-04-2012, 08:23 PM

Geez, my thoughts exactly. Enough drama for a new series, "The Real Authenticators of Net54."

chaddurbin
02-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Geez, my thoughts exactly. Enough drama for a new series, "The Real Authenticators of Net54."

everything reality is a war or star now...pawn stars, rock stars, storage wars, shipping wars. i'm firing off a letter to a&e proposing an "authenticator wars" featuring richard, chris, travis, and david. they would travel across the country to the various auction houses looking over autograph consignments while sniping and snarking at each other. the auction houses would save on the psa/jsa fees and i think it would go over middle america well....win/win for everyone.

GrayGhost
02-05-2012, 06:13 AM
everything reality is a war or star now...pawn stars, rock stars, storage wars, shipping wars. i'm firing off a letter to a&e proposing an "authenticator wars" featuring richard, chris, travis, and david. they would travel across the country to the various auction houses looking over autograph consignments while sniping and snarking at each other. the auction houses would save on the psa/jsa fees and i think it would go over middle america well....win/win for everyone.

Id watch the show ALL THE TIME, w a bowl of popcorn to both munch on and toss at th TV when I didn't agree w a finding on a piece:)

RichardSimon
02-05-2012, 06:57 AM

Since I am credited first I want the most money for this deal :D:D.
Chad let me know what they say, I could probably use a good agent. Are you up for the job? ;)
I want it to be on F/X though, they have some quality shows (Justified for one) and I want this to be a quality show.

Leon
02-05-2012, 07:46 AM

that was pretty good .....

02-06-2012, 06:16 PM
After reading this thread today I watched the episode.

Am I the only one who recognized the guy selling the triple-auto Tristar photo? He was set up at the National in Chicago last year.

My buddy and I tried to buy a 1988 Jordan SLU, but he wanted well over book. He told me "Come back on Sunday, and if it's still here I'll sell it to you at your price." I ended up buying one from another dealer at my price the same day. That was crazy to see him on Pawn Stars!

02-08-2012, 01:16 PM
I really thought someone else besides me recognized that guy.

bn2cardz
02-08-2012, 01:24 PM

I would watch... but then I may not have a reason to come here and read the autograph posts anymore. :D

Oh well there are still enough other things on here to read.